Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: Child of Light

  1. #31
    Senior Member KrownKlown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atop the Tower of God.
    Posts
    3,382
    You do realize that Chrono Cross is actually rated higher than Trigger, so leave your senile rose colored memories at the door. Trigger to me was one of the biggest let downs ever, not because it was a bad game, but because its so ungodly hyped and then its eh, good, but not great when you play. Cross on the other hand I loved from start to finish, although the vague ending was a little annoying. FF 3/6 blows CT out of the water imo as far snes rpgs go.

    And also if a sequel makes the multiple endings moot, they might not as well exist, and if anything its just the first game wasting your time.

    I never finished Earthbound but I suspect its basically chrono trigger 2, a game that good but not great, that for whatever reason people fawn over.

  2. #32
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,507
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    You do realize that Chrono Cross is actually rated higher than Trigger, so leave your senile rose colored memories at the door. Trigger to me was one of the biggest let downs ever, not because it was a bad game, but because its so ungodly hyped and then its eh, good, but not great when you play. Cross on the other hand I loved from start to finish, although the vague ending was a little annoying. FF 3/6 blows CT out of the water imo as far snes rpgs go.

    And also if a sequel makes the multiple endings moot, they might not as well exist, and if anything its just the first game wasting your time.

    I never finished Earthbound but I suspect its basically chrono trigger 2, a game that good but not great, that for whatever reason people fawn over.
    I'm neither senile, nor are they rose colored memories. Don't be a prick by throwing out passive aggressive insults as you tend to do when people don't agree with your opinion. It is factual that SE retconned Chrono Trigger in later versions to wedge in Cross' sloppy plot. Maybe you only played the DS version, so you didn't realize it?

    Furthermore, I don't know that someone is senile if they play and like a game that is available on numerous modern consoles and tablets. The game has been enjoyed by numerous generations, and there is a reason why it has fans.

    Coincidentally, Google is spying on my browsing history and sent me a link via Google Now.

    http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/25/ch...-storytelling/

    I honestly tend to agree with the author in most respects, and I am not the only one.

    http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/ran...=1&min_votes=5

    (Hint. Chrono Trigger is #2. Chrono Cross is on page 3 at #143).

    So I don't know what alternate reality you live in where Cross is more highly rated than Trigger. GamesFAQs' 4.64 (SNES) to 4.24 says you are wrong, unless you are talking about some crappy port by TOSE. Even the DS version ranks higher than Cross. Maybe you are talking about a handful of Metacritic reviews, which you cannot compare because there are none for the SNES game.

    And as far as SNES RPGs go, who cares if FF VI is better? I also agree. VI is one of my favorite games. But I still like both better than Chrono Cross. While you were disappointed with Trigger, I don't like Cross. I felt that the game was an incoherent mess that was filled to the brim with boring characters and bad writing. I was looking forward to it for years and felt that it was a letdown. Basically it ushered in an era of crap from Squaresoft after it had been known for quality games. Not much has changed, looking at the recent Drakengard 3 reception; Not that low scores would stop me from playing or enjoying it.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 05-23-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Add quote.

  3. #33
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,220
    Chrono Cross was amazing. Chrono Trigger was also good. But in terms of aural and visual experiences, I'd have to go with Chrono Cross. It came out at a time where the PS1 era was at the forefront of my childhood gaming days.

  4. #34
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,507
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Chrono Cross was amazing. Chrono Trigger was also good. But in terms of aural and visual experiences, I'd have to go with Chrono Cross. It came out at a time where the PS1 era was at the forefront of my childhood gaming days.
    That's cool. Everyone has a different opinion. The game did look and sound amazing.

    I see Chrono Cross like Final Fantasy VII though. Lots of people played them during their "childhood gaming days". From KrownKlown's past posts, it sounds like he is not far off.

    Chrono Cross has aged much better than a lot of PS1 RPGs, other issues aside.

    The SNES doesn't represent my childhood, so I don't see it or the PS1 as being in the forefront for me. I tend to like everything up to the current era fairly equally. Truth be told, I have fewer SNES games than just about any other console. And that's weird because it has some great games... Or else I just have a lot of games on other consoles.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Korriban
    Posts
    910
    i to like Chrono Cross more than Trigger.

    Trigger is just...........decent to me.

  6. #36
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,220
    I think it all comes down to some people don't take opinions well.

  7. #37
    Senior Member DeadElf_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Chrono Cross was amazing. Chrono Trigger was also. good. But in terms of aural and visual experiences, I'd have to go with Chrono Cross. It came out at a time where the PS1 era was at the forefront of my childhood gaming days.
    Serious question, since you appear to be discussing in a rational manner: how many times have you played through Chrono Cross? While I enjoyed my initial playthrough of the game, I've never been able to do a full replay of the game. The game pacing always feels too slow to me on new game+ and even the fast forward option doesn't seem to help. One of the great things from Trigger, for me, is that the game seems to be very speed run friendly. Cross on the other hand, while I would like to dig more through the story of what's going on, seems to want to make me wait for everything around the story as well. I wonder how Cross would play out if it had been released on anything but the PS1 (or equivalent from that gen.)

  8. #38
    Senior Member DeadElf_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Nothing in Chrono Cross is canon in the Chrono. Trigger universe, as far as I'm concerned. That crappy game should never have existed.

    However...

    Spoiler: 

    Not "the blonde", Marle. But rather Schala, the blue-haired princess from Zeal who bonds with Lavos.


    Still, it's important to note that some elements of the plot were rewritten for later versions of Chrono Trigger (DS) to try to make very vague connections between the games "more canon", in favor of Chrono Cross. This is ONLY in ending 13 and was not part of the original game.
    I can't help but think that a discussion about what is and is not canon in a universe for a series that delves into time travel, changing history, and parallel realities is kind of funny.

  9. #39
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,507
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadElf_ View Post
    I can't help but think that a discussion about what is and is not canon in a universe for a series that delves into time travel, changing history, and parallel realities is kind of funny.
    Actually, I kinda did too... In hindsight.

  10. #40
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadElf_ View Post
    Serious question, since you appear to be discussing in a rational manner: how many times have you played through Chrono Cross? While I enjoyed my initial playthrough of the game, I've never been able to do a full replay of the game. The game pacing always feels too slow to me on new game+ and even the fast forward option doesn't seem to help. One of the great things from Trigger, for me, is that the game seems to be very speed run friendly. Cross on the other hand, while I would like to dig more through the story of what's going on, seems to want to make me wait for everything around the story as well. I wonder how Cross would play out if it had been released on anything but the PS1 (or equivalent from that gen.)
    Over the years, 2-3 times. Can't remember exactly.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •