Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Child of Light

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I'm neither senile, nor are they rose colored memories. Don't be a prick by throwing out passive aggressive insults as you tend to do when people don't agree with your opinion. It is factual that SE retconned Chrono Trigger in later versions to wedge in Cross' sloppy plot. Maybe you only played the DS version, so you didn't realize it?

Furthermore, I don't know that someone is senile if they play and like a game that is available on numerous modern consoles and tablets. The game has been enjoyed by numerous generations, and there is a reason why it has fans.

Coincidentally, Google is spying on my browsing history and sent me a link via Google Now.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/25/ch...-storytelling/

I honestly tend to agree with the author in most respects, and I am not the only one.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/ran...=1&min_votes=5

(Hint. Chrono Trigger is #2. Chrono Cross is on page 3 at #143).

So I don't know what alternate reality you live in where Cross is more highly rated than Trigger. GamesFAQs' 4.64 (SNES) to 4.24 says you are wrong, unless you are talking about some crappy port by TOSE. Even the DS version ranks higher than Cross. Maybe you are talking about a handful of Metacritic reviews, which you cannot compare because there are none for the SNES game.

And as far as SNES RPGs go, who cares if FF VI is better? I also agree. VI is one of my favorite games. But I still like both better than Chrono Cross. While you were disappointed with Trigger, I don't like Cross. I felt that the game was an incoherent mess that was filled to the brim with boring characters and bad writing. I was looking forward to it for years and felt that it was a letdown. Basically it ushered in an era of crap from Squaresoft after it had been known for quality games. Not much has changed, looking at the recent Drakengard 3 reception; Not that low scores would stop me from playing or enjoying it.
    I live in the reality where it has the same or higher score on metacritic, gamespot (perfect 10), electronic gaming monthly, Famitsu, and only a mariginly worse ranking on gameranking (incidentally gamerankings actually did their own review for cross which they gave a 99, they did not do one for trigger) and ign, and also for the record Cross gameranking score comes from 38 reviews versus only 18 for trigger. Also for the lulz Nintendo power did not give Trigger a perfect score, mind you that review was when it came out on the snes only, while cross managed a perfect from opm, the two scores I would call homer scores.

Seems most of the complaints about Cross are that its ambiguous at times, although that can be read many different ways and can be taken as Trigger was a much simpler game while Cross tried to evoke some thoughts from its players.

And for the record, I played it on SNES and then again on PS, my DS copy is sealed and will never be played, nor do I have a desire to dust off the old snes or ps to play it again anyway.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    I live in the reality where it has the same or higher score on metacritic, gamespot (perfect 10), electronic gaming monthly, Famitsu, and only a mariginly worse ranking on gameranking (incidentally gamerankings actually did their own review for cross which they gave a 99, they did not do one for trigger) and ign, and also for the record Cross gameranking score comes from 38 reviews versus only 18 for trigger. Also for the lulz Nintendo power did not give Trigger a perfect score, mind you that review was when it came out on the snes only, while cross managed a perfect from opm, the two scores I would call homer scores.

Seems most of the complaints about Cross are that its ambiguous at times, although that can be read many different ways and can be taken as Trigger was a much simpler game while Cross tried to evoke some thoughts from its players.

And for the record, I played it on SNES and then again on PS, my DS copy is sealed and will never be played, nor do I have a desire to dust off the old snes or ps to play it again anyway.
    Both games have their fans. Gamespot's perfect 10 never surprised me, considering that Andrew Vestal was the Internet's biggest Squaresoft fanboy. Take it worth a grain of salt. Do you remember Square.net?

My problems with Chrono Cross is that it doesn't evoke thoughts from its players. It feels tedious and repetitive. It has no likable characters and far too many characters. Note all of the polarizing reviews but massively high press scores. It's much like Final Fantasy XIII in this respect; Really high press scores but low consumer reviews.

No doubt about it, Chrono Trigger is the simpler game of the two, but that's partially due to the incoherence of Chrono Cross' writing and localization, and also due to the fact that 16-bit games were simply smaller in scope and dialogue. It has nothing to do with the true depth of the plot or anyone's understanding of said plot. See above link where Venturebeat writer explains this.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think it all comes down to some people don't take opinions well.
    Ya really.

I like Trigger over Cross, probably because I expected a lot going into Cross and it didn't really deliver to that. Dialog is slow, and I think the number of available characters actually more of a detriment than anything. Visually it aged okay, but the best part of Cross is the soundtrack in my opinion. Granted, that soundtrack is really just a huge arrange album of the stuff from Chrono Trigger, but it's done well. The opening song and FMV is one of my favorites, hands down.

I love Trigger, and loathe Cross. Cross was my most anticipated title EVER hands down, and I couldn't stand it. I don't like the characters, nor the number of them. I don't like style. I don't like the story, nor the "connection" to Trigger. I may not hate the game as much if it had been named differently and not in any way associated with Trigger, but Trigger deserved better than Cross. I would play Beyond the Beyond again before I would play Chrono Cross again. The list of games I would play before playing Chrono Cross again is filled with awful games. I would do a 12 hour marathon of ET on atari etc, etc.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Ya really.

I like Trigger over Cross, probably because I expected a lot going into Cross and it didn't really deliver to that. Dialog is slow, and I think the number of available characters actually more of a detriment than anything. Visually it aged okay, but the best part of Cross is the soundtrack in my opinion. Granted, that soundtrack is really just a huge arrange album of the stuff from Chrono Trigger, but it's done well. The opening song and FMV is one of my favorites, hands down.
    Mitsuda's put out some really awesome soundtracks.

And I have to agree in regards to the scope of character in Cross - it's too broad and large scaled but mainly filler content that the game really doesn't need.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadElf_ View Post
    Mitsuda's put out some really awesome soundtracks.

And I have to agree in regards to the scope of character in Cross - it's too broad and large scaled but mainly filler content that the game really doesn't need.
    He's also done some average and uninspired soundtracks. I love his work on the Chrono games, Xenogears, etc. I loathe his Xenosaga soundtrack. I don't think that it's his fault though as much as how tracks were selected and the quantity used for certain things. I prefer some of Yuki Kajiura's work in the series a lot more.

Mitsuda's post-Square collaborations on soundtracks leave a lot to be desired; E.g. His Imageepoch tracks. Now that he doesn't do full soundtracks all that often, his work seems half-hearted. I think that he doesn't have to work as hard, so he simply doesn't do it. The same could be said of Uematsu, who currently makes good, but not great, soundtracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroshak View Post
    So .. yea .. calling it 87 is a bit of a stretch. Different endings is what Crono Trigger did (the ending changed depending upon just when you beat it). This? Just little vignettes that got added to the ending without really changing it (the only real changes per se were based on who the MC romanced/bonded with). I never beat the game after removing the Power Limiter though, so I do not know if the ending changed with that.
    Correct. The 87 ending SO2 thing is completely bogus.

Disgaea is an example of a game with actual multiple endings.

Oh and lol @ Chrono game plots. What a mess.

And also if a sequel makes the multiple endings moot, they might not as well exist, and if anything its just the first game wasting your time.
    Enh, they still exist, it's just that only one ending can be canon.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/ran...=1&min_votes=5

(Hint. Chrono Trigger is #2. Chrono Cross is on page 3 at #143).
    Persona 4 Golden being the top game made me lol. You can probably chalk it up to the release being somewhat new but still... Can't leave stuff to the masses. I see Suikoden II near the top, when V is so much better and honestly I would prefer III to II. I could talk about this all day so I'll stop now.

Chrono Cross has aged much better than a lot of PS1 RPGs, other issues aside.
    In what ways compared to which games? I think a lot of PS1 RPGs are still completely fine to play today. Sure it might be a little hard if you are coming of a PS3 game but still.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadElf_ View Post
    Serious question, since you appear to be discussing in a rational manner: how many times have you played through Chrono Cross? While I enjoyed my initial playthrough of the game, I've never been able to do a full replay of the game. The game pacing always feels too slow to me on new game+ and even the fast forward option doesn't seem to help. One of the great things from Trigger, for me, is that the game seems to be very speed run friendly. Cross on the other hand, while I would like to dig more through the story of what's going on, seems to want to make me wait for everything around the story as well. I wonder how Cross would play out if it had been released on anything but the PS1 (or equivalent from that gen.)
    You weren't asking me but 4 times. I specifically wanted some of the really weird endings. Not sure if it fully counts because I cheated after the first time. I wouldn't consider it in my top 10 of PS1 RPGs fwiw. I find that the only people that absolutely HATE Cross are unabashed Trigger fanboys though. Cross is okay as a game imo. I completely understand this though because I'm the exact same way with Alundra and Alundra 2 and I don't care.

Heh, I find that PS1/2 stuff is what I've been playing the most over the last year or so. Lately Vita though right now I'm back on a PS2 game. Do you actually play PS1 games on a PS1? I mean lol. I have a couple PS1s pretty much just for the lulz.

My problems with Chrono Cross is that it doesn't evoke thoughts from its players. It feels tedious and repetitive. It has no likable characters and far too many characters. Note all of the polarizing reviews but massively high press scores. It's much like Final Fantasy XIII in this respect; Really high press scores but low consumer reviews.
    Huge discrepancies one way or the other in this regard have always amused me.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 05-23-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

TempestOne

Laughing out loud

Lest fill our grubhouse before we post, gentlemen. We can, maybe, avoid conflicts of interest like these theses. I'd love to give my opinions and thoughtful options on 'Chrono' but I have alot of catching up to do with some thread-points down, down. Gjeez. Funny papers here, fellersh.

TempestOne
    Kidd is a new character from Australia, are you guysz daft? Why else would she talk like dt, why else would she have that accnt? I don't think she's a reincarnation of Schala because why...? That's redundant. To the extreme, to the max. One thinger that helps me is Queen Zeal is always Queen Zeal; and Schala. That's how it's depicted. A clone is basically a reincarnation of a twin, or a sibling and that's the same things as a re-incarnation, dummy - but even more redundant way of thinking, to be honest. LOL No offense. Yeah, spoilers - you can't diferenciate them anymore. I think Chrono Cross is, overall a better video-game (cause. music) but Chrono Trigger has a better storyline, clear-ly. The only plus to Chrono Cross are tie-ins to Its fans. Chrono Cross has the best graphics on the PlayStation. I think Chrono Cross related-lated better to Chrono Trigger, with Chrono Trigger more or less relating to Chrono Cross, and feel. I played Chrono Cross in my graham cracker days so if anyone has trouble beating it you should know yourself. I thought Cross told its story with more confidence than Trigger, did. Ever. I think, I feel it's normal to had tag-lines or marquees ticker-ing'g on Chrono Cross, with Ultimanias, a newer video-game. For having the best graphics, it ran on the PlayStation smoothly. And, I played every PSX video-game on one system. My favorite character was Harle just for her name alone. She would make a good, altruistic Halloween costume. I would play Chrono Cross again and I would give Chrono Trigger another shot, duh no duh, and/but my tactic was always over-healing. You, some people get lazy along the way. /NE

TempestOne
    SNES in progress. I want to just to a run-through FAQ completion. LOL I'm on my Sega-CD tho. I want to set-hook-up my PlayStationX 1 but I have everything but the I/O Moon cable. Including an extra flappy sticker W/ Gameshark as a Aeris buffer and I can walk around Disk 2. lol I want to - but, yeah. All my video-games on PS1 Are ready, or PSOne 'cause that sheist looks cool... All up, in my room. I have to touch-on, all my Old strategy guides wit/ Cocoa Butter. And, then I'm-a good to go. And, I can provoke Persona-Personae as ::...:: Elw FAQ in progress in-progress, in Progress. I'm-a watch the spinny-spinning disck every day, everyday.- Dr. Nao Ming-SAVE DAT A?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast