Thread: Class of Heroes II Permadeath

Class of Heroes II Permadeath

I picked COH2 back up today, and had a quick question about what made me put it down in the first place. One of my characters permanently died, and it annoyed me. When does this usually happen and is there anything to avoid it??

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Weird. I played through the entire game and never had it happen. Probably because I'd reload on a battle that was too tough until I could obliterate the enemy. The first battle with the Strega cult comes to mind.

However, my team was just too overpowered after the first 1/3 of the game. So I never died anyway after that.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 06-13-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Weird. I played through the entire game and never had it happen. Probably because I'd reload on a battle that was too tough until I could obliterate the enemy. The first battle with the Strega cult comes to mind.

However, my team was just too overpowered after the first 1/3 of the game. So I never died anyway after that.
    ^this, I've yet to clear the game but I got pretty deep in I think. Usually I just saved often and if the going got rough and my characters died I just reloaded. They key, save and never die lol.

The game's engine is based (conceptually, at least - IDK about code-wise) off of the old Wizardry! rules. If you die, you have to be resurrected. That however, can fail.

If it fails, you turn to Ash. You have one last chance at being restored. But, like resurrection, this too can fail.

If you do not get restored from being Ash, you are gone for good, and there is no way to bring you back. Permadeath.

Although there is a penalty (I think Vit) to being killed and resurrected, about all the penalty does is reduce your HP you gain when you level up. Lower HP is a serious penalty, so it is better to avoid dying in the first place, but it is not insurmountable. Simply make sure that you save the game either before attempting Resurrections, or before attempting to restore people from Ash. If the attempts fail, then reload and try again.

Good advice, thanks. I am looking forward to getting back into it. I was going to wait for 2G, but this just feels much more like a handheld game for me. I will probably still buy 2G, of course..