Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you opinions on professional reviewers with lacsidasical attitudes?

What are you opinions on professional reviewers with lacsidasical attitudes?

So I was reading the latest game informer and the magazine took a shot at two people who complained that they gave titanfall a 9.25, saying well they found it found, and its just their opinion, despite the fact that one of the two posters had a well thought and explained reason why he thought the score was too high. So instead of responding to his well thought post, they basically mocked him and said doesn't matter. I have seen similar things on places like Gamespot and other review sites, where they have the same half baked attitude, spout the same things like well I enjoyed it and its just my opinion. If their opinion was so worthless, why does it end up being the representation of their magazine and site in aggregate rankings, and if its just their opinion, why even bother scoring it?

My problem no its not just your opinion, its not as simple as that. They are professionals so the review must be on some concrete and objective bases. Also there opinion counts a lot more than a single person, their opinion ends up representing an entire site, an entire group, and actually has real effects on people's decisions. And in the case of game informer, we are paying for those opinions, true most people just get the subscription for the discount, but it does not change the fact the magazine is part of the cost. So to me, in this kind of situation, its not a matter of them just having fun, and saying well its just my opinion, it actually has some weight. So I personally think they should be held to some kind of standard.

I don't know what do you think? Does the fact they do it for a job, reach many people, and actually affect their decision mean they need to be more objective? Ultimately it will not affect my decision, but when say Gamespot gives Tales of Destiny a 4.2 or Skyward Sword a 7.5 or GameInformer Titanfall a 9.25 it will affect others.

My problem no its not just your opinion, its not as simple as that. They are professionals so the review must be on some concrete and objective bases.

Reviewers claim to be, they try, but most often times, it ends up being bias in some form.

I don't agree that their opinion represents something more than what the game they were reviewing about. Only website fanatics would adhere to that notion. If we followed every good or bad review score and translated that into actual sales, the numbers would be a lot different in the end.

^Dude there plenty of people who don't have the time to do their own research, don't play enough on their own, and don't really have gamer friends, parents come to mind. So there are quite a few people that would be affected. Plus my problem is with reviewers whose review says one thing, either the game is terrible or great, and then the score is the opposite, and they say I just didn't like or I loved it. That happens to often. Or in the case of this post on gameinformer where the guy had some valid points, and instead of responding to those points, the magazine just says "we liked it and thats good enough".

Don't buy the magazine or give gamespot hits if you don't like it. It is what it is. The scores for big games are paid for, you can't look at the score. They are in fact professionals, and are doing their job, giving the big titles a big score.

But really though, wgaf? I haven't read a review in awhile.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I think being objective is impossible for reviews, I also think that a reviewer should give his/her opinion and should be critical about games. The problem I see is :

1) The gaming industry is obsessed with review scores to the point a review is considered LAW. This is ridiculous, everyone experiences games differently, even more than other forms of media due to how nonlinear they are when compared to other forms. This effectively just turns a lot of reviews into marketing ploys which in turn manipulates gaming trends.

2) Reviewers often review games they don't give a **** about, sometimes not even playing through the whole thing. Some of them also jump on the hype train when it comes to big budget titles...

So yeah gaming journalism is a bit of a messy landscape at the moment.

Of course, going by your earlier point KK I don't think reviewers should just brush off others for giving their opinions as well, there are trolls in some cases but that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't have a right to their own opinions. (A reviewer would never change his score based on feedback though, only on changes within a game)

Doesn't every form of media do that though? Maybe not score specific but books will put review praise on the back and it's the same with movie cases. I think a lot of people are spongy when it comes to most forms of media.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I have always personally thought, going to point #2 of Astrides post that major sites should have at least 3-5 people review a game and then give an aggregate as a representation of the site. That kind of helps you get around only one person reviewing something that they hate.

I guess I must be in the minority to expect professionalism and merit in gaming rather than apathy, sensationalism, and disjointedness.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Most of the better writers on Gamespot have been promoted and barely ever write articles or reviews.

^ I hope you are not talking about Petit. Kevin Van Ord is one of the few that I like, and not just because he tends to be rpg friendly.

Mainstream magazines are becoming less respected for the fake reviews, and on average given bad metacritic scores from users. Youtuber "letsplayers" are becoming more popular, due to the authenticity of the reviewers, because they do not derive their advertising money from the companies they review. Independent letsplay reviewers like angryjoeshow are the future hopefully.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast