Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Kickstarters

Ridiculous Kickstarters

This thread definitely needed to be made. It's died down a bit since the beginning but you still see stuff like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...9/potato-salad

Other posts
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ers-w?ref=live
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ersary-project
    Last edited by Gypsy; 07-10-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Wtf am I reading here. Also really weird and specific amount to get it funded.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I'm making potato salad.

$10 and you can stand in his kitchen.
    So many things to say about that.

For all we know, it could just be a skype session with multiple webcams doing that. Technically you are in his kitchen. I doubt people would travel across the US/World just to be there in person.

What's even more ridiculous are the ludicrous people that back these ridiculous projects.

You never know. Or some weirdo who lives nearby.
    I'd like to know how he is planning on mailing the "bite" of potato salad. Then again, maybe not.

I am reading the first one, and... it feels like it is some sort of joke I am just not getting. Like this Kickstarter does not even exist, but it's a huge injoke. I... dunno what to say...

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Wtf am I reading here. Also really weird and specific amount to get it funded.
    The $829 was "needed" to pay for the entry fee of a RPG Maker camp, where they teach kids to work with the software.
    Only the kid never went to that camp. :-) This was known even when the Kickstarter was still running, yet they never paid anyone back. But they continuously changed the story, saying they were going to create some open source library and a game creating community for kids with the money raised. Which of course never happened. Well, to be fair they did create a half assed website with some links to existing game creating communities.

In the end the kid (or her dad?) made part of an RPG Maker game, with like 5 minutes of gameplay. They then started distributing the unfinished game FOR FREE through the website, saying people could now build on the work started by the kid and create their own game. Which is a bit of a final kick in the nuts of the backers who paid at least $9 to get the game they never got.

On a side note: the mother of the kid is reportedly a millionaire. Not that that is the real issue at stake. But it just gives a bit of a bad flavour to an already abusive type of "crowd funding".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast