Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer 2D or 3D games?

Cool Do you prefer 2D or 3D games?

I have this strange affinity towards 2D sprite games. They seem to stand the test of time a heck of a lot more than 3D games, even current gen.

The style is also more pleasing to the eyes!

What are your favorite 2D games, old or new?

No preference, I guess I would lean towards 3D only because of have an environment to roam around. I really don't use the 3d effect on my 3ds either.

Favorite 2D? I'd go with old DOS games or something like Pac-Man or Space Invaders.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I have this strange affinity towards 2D sprite games. They seem to stand the test of time a heck of a lot more than 3D games, even current gen.

The style is also more pleasing to the eyes!

What are your favorite 2D games, old or new?
    Outside of resolution and memory limitations of the time, many 2D games from the 8 and 16 bit era and beyond still are lovely and hold up very well. My favorites are undoubtedly the RPGs (FF, CT, PS, BoF, etc.) of the time, but I still love shooters, platformers, etc. The PC Engine shooters are among my favorites (an 8 bit machine) and games like Gunhed and Lords of Thunder still look, play, and sound amazing. But, hey. I even like to play Atari from time to time because I've come to appreciate some of the games even though I thought that the 2600 and Colecovision had horrendous graphics back when I gamed primarily on an NES.

As far as 3D goes, the PS1, N64 and Saturn (etc.) largely produced some of the ugliest games outside of gen 1 consoles, but they also are among the best for other reasons. After the Dreamcast, most 3D looked good enough for me. Obviously, modern machines can produce detail that we couldn't have imagined then and it seemed to happen just in the span of a few generations. I suspect that I'll still love to play a lot of the 3D greats from the 90s and beyond, throughout my life.

A good game is a good game, period. Graphics are great, but great games don't need good graphics.

I greatly prefer 2D for fighting games.

Overall I'd say I don't really care. If a game is good, I'll play it.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

For western games I of course prefer 3d and as realistic as possible, but for jrpgs are prefer the 2d/3d game with dialogue between characters being represented by anime cut outs - think Disgaea.

You like the anime cut-outs? I hate those styles. I rather see it represented in actual animation in the environment.

^no because as we saw in Time and Eternity they are not able to yet feasibly do a proper blend of 3d with the anime style.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    2D.

3d graphics age.

2d graphics are timeless.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    ^no because as we saw in Time and Eternity they are not able to yet feasibly do a proper blend of 3d with the anime style.
    They can do it just fine, go look at GG Xrd and, CG is used in various anime.

2D all the way. Like ninja said 2D is timeless. Oddly enough I prefer older 3D games over newer ones just because they don't slip into the uncanny valley, when games become too "realistic" their flaws are exposed as you can tell they are fake even though they're trying hard to be as "real" as possible. Until photorealism in games (including animation as well) 3D graphics will age like bread. It's better to connect a personality to an avatar rather than a subhuman mesh, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast