Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You've been playing a while, why not take a break? (Nintendo game message)

Well complaining about it is kind of like........beating a dead horse.............

*crickets*

I'll leave now.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    At Jwiley: We're past the point of anyone caring about standards for DLC, there's plenty of horse armor out there at this point and hardly anyone cares anymore :\.

While I agree that there should be an option to turn it off, I doubt this is covering a legal base so much as trying to win points from parents by encouraging children to take breaks.
    That still doesn't make it ok by any means to charge for basically nothing, does it?

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    That still doesn't make it ok by any means to charge for basically nothing, does it?
    Not at all, I just feel that's how it is these days. For example, we've gone from the days of free official maps and boatloads of free community maps for FPS to companies charging money for little DLC packs, or alternate character colors in fighters being a DLC pack.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 07-24-2014 at 03:52 PM.

I originally liked the concept of DLC. Additional quests or story arcs, but it went very quickly for them charging for useless stuff and shipping incomplete games and selling dlc to complete it.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    I originally liked the concept of DLC. Additional quests or story arcs, but it went very quickly for them charging for useless stuff and shipping incomplete games and selling dlc to complete it.
    Yeah I mean, I don't think I could have said this any better myself. Were it used truly as supplemental story content thought of after the fact like a mini-expansion that's great. But of course that was just a dream.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    But they could just keep all those additional quests and story arcs for the inevitable sequel, couldn't they? Take Assassin's Creed... there is a new game on a yearly basis of that franchise. Why would they ever need to release DLC to add some new quests or arcs, when they could just put it in a sequel? Obviously it's (way) more profitable to take the DLC route.

From a customer's perspective it's still only paying extra for content they could just include in the main package. Which is exactly what they do with all those GOTY editions, complete editions and director's cuts they release afterwards.

It would only make sense if those sequels would become the DLC. E.g. you buy Assassin's Creed 1, and then get to download the sequels, potentially even at a reduced price to continue playing the story. Now that would be real value.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    But they could just keep all those additional quests and story arcs for the inevitable sequel, couldn't they? Take Assassin's Creed... there is a new game on a yearly basis of that franchise. Why would they ever need to release DLC to add some new quests or arcs, when they could just put it in a sequel? Obviously it's (way) more profitable to take the DLC route.

From a customer's perspective it's still only paying extra for content they could just include in the main package. Which is exactly what they do with all those GOTY editions, complete editions and director's cuts they release afterwards.

It would only make sense if those sequels would become the DLC. E.g. you buy Assassin's Creed 1, and then get to download the sequels, potentially even at a reduced price to continue playing the story. Now that would be real value.
    I totally agree with you here. Mass Effect 1 (2007?)was the first game where I was excited about paid dlc, Blue Dragon had the difficulty dlc but it was free. I played the game, loved the game, and even felt like it was a complete experience. Yet, I still wanted more because I liked the game that much. They brought out a dlc several months after release (granted this was Pre-EA Bioware I think), and I thought it was great. Totally willing to buy it, and happy to pay $8-15 for more hours with Commander Shephard.

Fast forward to today, and devs have left a very sour taste in my mouth about dlc. I don't care what it is, I almost never pay for dlc. I feel like they have taken an innocent way to make some extra money off assets they already have, or using team members in between projects that would normally be reassigned or laid off, to milking gamers and charging so we can get a full experience. And of course who can forget the the capcom pay for dlc that shipped on the game disc.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Anyone remember the person dying playing WOW? My roommate played this, 22 hours a day, 6 days a week. This is about the only game that needs such a warning.

They should be in place for MMORPGs (or any lengthy game session) that has an auto cool period of 5 hours after playing it 10 hours straight (including pausing the game).

Wow in its heyday was bad news. I mean the guy literally played 48 hours on the weekend. And his week day play limit was also in the double digits. He wasn't very smart either, so missing the classes hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast