Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: In honor of a great GW forum memeber, I give you Belgium's contribution to gaming.

  1. #11
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    As I have pointed out before I am mixed, my grandfather was from Ukraine, and there is Polish and both sides of my family tree as well. Also all 3 are slavic people, ie those are related people, unlike Belgians and the French/English. Belgians are probably related most closely to what, Dutch and Germans?
    For someone of European descent, you know your European history and geography quite poorly.
    In Belgium there are 3 official languages: Dutch (= "Flemish", the Belgian variant of Dutch), French and German. Around 60% of the Belgians is Dutch speaking, 39% French and 1% German speaking.

    Before its independence in 1830, the land that is now Belgium has been ruled for centuries by many different nations, including the predecessors of Spain, France, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy and the Netherlands. It's always been one of the more prosperous regions in Europe and because of that relative wealth also a battleground of many a European war. Because of that history, the country is now a mixture of Germanic and Latin culture, similar to Switzerland.

    Dutch, as a language, is related to German, English and Scandinavian languages. French is related to Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, etc... Traditionally Belgium is a Roman Catholic country, whereas The Netherlands for example is a Protestant country mainly. So religion wise we lean more towards Southern and Eastern European countries (like Poland), where Catholicism is still strongly rooted.

    So Belgium is related to all of the above Western and Central European countries, since all of them have left their marks (and genes) over here.

    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Also I have played Divinity, don't care for it as a series, feels second rate to almost any other fantasy series like Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Kingdom Under Fire, Witcher etc. I haven't played original sin yet, you know since the studio had to turn to Kickstarter for funding and I did not back it. I will not say anything about your beloved Larian, but a studio only turns to Kickstarter for one reason.
    (sarcasm mode) Yeah, American Obsidian Entertainment turned to Kickstarter because they don't have any talent. I see your reasoning now.
    And Dragon Age II is a master piece compared to Divinity: Original Sin, even compared to Divinity. World class game. (/sarcasm mode)

    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Also, why are you talking about economics and then posting me a chart that has to do with consequences of having a highly socialist state? That is not an economic decision, its a political and social one. On the other hand Eastern Europe is putting out quality games despite living under pretty miserable conditions for decades while under Soviet rule, not of our choice. People always act like it was US and the West vs the Soviet East, but the majority of countries under the East were miserable and basically forced into that situation, spoils of war given by the Allies to the Soviets for help during WWII.
    I don't get this. Political decisions have no influence on the economy? Is that what you are trying to say here? :-) Wow...

    My point was that it's (way) cheaper to produce games in Czech Repubic than in Belgium, and many a large publisher chooses to exploit underpaid Czechs rather than paying dearly to employ Belgians to do the same programming work.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 08-08-2014 at 10:44 AM.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    Zip it up guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    I don't get this. Political decisions have no influence on the economy? Is that what you are trying to say here? :-) Wow...

    My point was that it's (way) cheaper to produce games in Czech Repubic than in Belgium, and many a large publisher chooses to exploit underpaid Czechs rather than paying dearly to employ Belgians to do the same programming work.
    Correct.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  3. #13
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,222
    I think clownkrown posts just to ignite flame wars for no reason at all

  4. #14
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think clownkrown posts just to ignite flame wars for no reason at all
    I think he enjoys it, so that's a reason right there. :-)

  5. #15
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think clownkrown posts just to ignite flame wars for no reason at all
    Surely you meant to 'Lord of Pirates' right ?

    At Wiley: You mean to say that PoE isn't going to be a steaming pile of crap!?

  6. #16
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Surely you meant to 'Lord of Pirates' right ?

    At Wiley: You mean to say that PoE isn't going to be a steaming pile of crap!?
    Didn't you know? Obsidian have no talent, no publisher will hire them, so they have to turn to Kickstarter!
    Clearly it's going to be crap! Sadly, I gave those Obsidian dudes my hard earned money...


    On a serious note: I liked what I've seen so far from the project. But I'm still a bit cautious about it all. This Kickstarter thing is still a bit of a gamble, there's been a lot of abuse too (not that I think Obsidian isn't legit obviously). But with Divinity it turned out pretty good (I felt like I had to back them anyway, since they're Belgian), so I'm hoping Obsidian will deliver too.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Afaik there were many different types of controllers for the CD-I system, but only one of them was actually close to being useful at all. I guess those are the $50 ones. :-)
    Damn, guess I mad 'lucked' out finding a CDi for $15 and a controller, the actual gamepad looking one, for $4 on 2 separate visits to the same thrift store... and then later finding a game for it (Burning Cycle or something) for $1.50 at another thrift store blocks away... yay working console that is completely useless lol.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Jamesac68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    ....but a studio only turns to Kickstarter for one reason.
    At the moment it sounds like you're an idiot, but seeing as this is an ambiguous statement there's a very good possibility I'm just taking your point wrong. Could you clarify this phrase so it doesn't sound like you're equating the origin of money needed for a game's development with the talent of those involved in a negative fashion?

  9. #19
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    You obviously didn't live in the age of Atari 2600. You'd go to the arcade and play these incredible games using 16 colors and running at a 224x288 resolution (Pac-Man used in this example) and then the 2600 comes along and gives significantly, painfully less than that. Vector-graphics Asteroids or Omega Race looked fantastic. Chunk-o-vision 2600 Asteroids/Omega Race? Eye-bleed. The shovelware ratio was off the charts, even moreso than the Wii, and the only reason there were playable games like Pitfall is due to the console's incredible popularity and the genius of certain programmers learning to trick the system.

    The CD-I was a terrible, terrible machine, but at least it never promised to be anything it wasn't.
    Just because the 2600 is a bit rough on the eyes does not make it one of the worst game machines ever created. The 2600 is an awesome game system.

  10. #20
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,440
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Just because the 2600 is a bit rough on the eyes does not make it one of the worst game machines ever created. The 2600 is an awesome game system.
    That's one of my problems with going back to the 2600/Intellivision/Odyssey generation stuff. It's just so graphically jarring that it detracts from the games themselves, despite the fact that some are quite good when judged just on gameplay and mechanics. The jump from that generation to the NES was so huge graphically that is makes it hard for me to go back and really enjoy those titles except for a select few.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •