Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodwill opens up video game-themed store called "The Grid" in NC

Goodwill opens up video game-themed store called "The Grid" in NC

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27...-with-the-grid

The premise seems alright, but priced aggressively, usually means that Zelda Collector's Edition in the locked case, won't be $5.

goodwill? making bank off of donations? wouldn't they be concerned over upsetting some sort of higher power that would frown upon that kind of shenanigans?

Umm doesn't making a game store out of what's supposed to be a thrift store kinda defeat the purpose?

The only used games I can pick out are in the cylinder tower & 360. Most of that looks like brand new goods.

Goodwill is more of a retail business than a Salvation Army is for the community. Both rely on donations, but also need to make profit to stay afloat.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    goodwill? making bank off of donations? wouldn't they be concerned over upsetting some sort of higher power that would frown upon that kind of shenanigans?
    You may have seen my rants recently about Goodwill. Even though they have some non-profit parts of the company, most stores are franchises that are interdependently owned (I think that I read that there are more than 160 franchise owners that operate semi-regionally). They exploit a myth that the stores are non-profit and essentially take free goods to resell. This has been part of their big ad campaign to convince people that they "create jobs" since people are discovering that their name "Goodwill" essentially means nothing.

This is also why there is a huge disparity with how regional Goodwill chains price goods. My local Goodwill stores seem to use Ebay and Pricecharting as a reference. I kid you not, they've got an untested loose Intellivision for at least $60 (it may have been more; I want to nearly say $80 but I was so annoyed about it that I didn't even care to pay much more attention). Before that, it was a loose untested SEGA Master System for $30 with no accessories at all. I don't even bother anymore. If I want to pay Ebay prices, I'll do it with a return policy and at least some sort of guarantee that it's been tested.

I despise Goodwill. Recently I've purchased a few games on Half from sellers that didn't say "Goodwill" in their user ID. Then I get a confirmation email later from a Goodwill store. Fortunately, the experience was pretty good and the prices were fair, but it's still irritating. I've also gotten some bad merchandise from Goodwill Internet sellers in the past.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Goodwill is such scuzz.

Yeah, each region is managed individually, so it sucks that yours is using Shopgoodwill.com

Mine doesn't list their items on there, and so I still find a lot of great items for cheap. Some stores have return policies of 10 days and in-store credit. You have to shop there (and use the in-store credit regularly) to make it worthwhile.

I think a couple of my greatest Goodwill finds were:

Musha (sega genesis) cart only for .49 cents
    Game and Watch (Mario Bros) mint condition for .49 cents
    Turbo Grafx 16 with Turbo Booster, TurboStick, Controller, hookups, and a few games for $16

Feels like a bit of a gamble on their part.

Are people really going to keep letting them have their video games for free, once they see how they are sold in a boutique like branch of their stores? Because it's definitely going to get a bit more exposure now.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. But you'd be surprised what gets donated at Goodwill stores and then the actual values they go for online. Some don't care, want to clear their attic, basement, estate, etc.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast