Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 105

Thread: Goodwill opens up video game-themed store called "The Grid" in NC

  1. #21
    Senior Member KrownKlown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atop the Tower of God.
    Posts
    3,382
    I have the same issue with HPB, they built themselves on selling stuff cheap, ie half price, but now I go into a store and see anime boxsets and games for a couple of hundred dollars, and then I see books at a thousand. I mean they went from half price to more than retail. I mean sometimes some of the employees are cool, I have once asked about a demons souls, and he actually matched gamestop and then knocked off half, but others are like that's the amazon or ebay price.

    Eh. I don't really care about Goodwill. If I get a good deal so be it, if they want to sell something for a ridiculous price, I don't care. I've only ever gotten one major score there, a copy of Bust a Groove 2 for 2 bucks, but I find 99 percent of the time most of the game stock is not even worth flipping.

    @Jwiley, they have flea markets in Belgium? I thought that was an American thing. But I agree with your assessment, generally flea market prices can be pretty stupid and based on something like that old lady said. I saw a madden that was on the 360 for like 30 bucks , and a relatively rare ps2 or ps1 game for a couple of bucks. Some of the vendors are starting to use smart phones more, but I still think you can find great deals.
    Last edited by KrownKlown; 08-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    I have the same issue with HPB, they built themselves on selling stuff cheap, ie half price, but now I go into a store and see anime boxsets and games for a couple of hundred dollars, and then I see books at a thousand. I mean they went from half price to more than retail. I mean sometimes some of the employees are cool, I have once asked about a demons souls, and he actually matched gamestop and then knocked off half, but others are like that's the amazon or ebay price.

    Eh. I don't really care about Goodwill. If I get a good deal so be it, if they want to sell something for a ridiculous price, I don't care. I've only ever gotten one major score there, a copy of Bust a Groove 2 for 2 bucks, but I find 99 percent of the time most of the game stock is not even worth flipping.

    @Jwiley, they have flea markets in Belgium? I thought that was an American thing. But I agree with your assessment, generally flea market prices can be pretty stupid and based on something like that old lady said. I saw a madden that was on the 360 for like 30 bucks , and a relatively rare ps2 or ps1 game for a couple of bucks. Some of the vendors are starting to use smart phones more, but I still think you can find great deals.
    We do have flea markets. The organised type of them anyway, where people pay a few euros to set up a booth, and where there are food stalls and the likes.

    We just don't have the random garage sales which I think are more common in the US. Although, with the increasing popularity of all things "vintage" in recent years, you see these things pop up once in a while. But then again in a very organised way: a whole neigbourhood mobilizes and puts some of their old stuff out on the street for sale. It's more of a social thing than actually meant to clean up an attic or make any profit, is how I see it.

    I find it pretty amazing that you can haggle in brick and mortar stores. Sometimes you read in the papers here that more and more people start doing that (even in clothing stores apparently). Personally I've only haggled once, and that was at a flea market, where you're sort of expected to do so.

    We also have second hand stores, btw, but not that many. I'm not sure how they get their stuff (either through donations or buy buying it off of people for cheap). But they do tend to charge increasingly more for often useless stuff, I'm assuming again because of the increasing popularity of vintage. They used to be seen as junk store where you'd go if you couldn't afford anything else, whereas now they have a new kind of cool over them to some groups of people.

  3. #23
    Senior Member KrownKlown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atop the Tower of God.
    Posts
    3,382
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    We do have flea markets. The organised type of them anyway, where people pay a few euros to set up a booth, and where there are food stalls and the likes.

    We just don't have the random garage sales which I think are more common in the US. Although, with the increasing popularity of all things "vintage" in recent years, you see these things pop up once in a while. But then again in a very organised way: a whole neigbourhood mobilizes and puts some of their old stuff out on the street for sale. It's more of a social thing than actually meant to clean up an attic or make any profit, is how I see it.

    I find it pretty amazing that you can haggle in brick and mortar stores. Sometimes you read in the papers here that more and more people start doing that (even in clothing stores apparently). Personally I've only haggled once, and that was at a flea market, where you're sort of expected to do so.

    We also have second hand stores, btw, but not that many. I'm not sure how they get their stuff (either through donations or buy buying it off of people for cheap). But they do tend to charge increasingly more for often useless stuff, I'm assuming again because of the increasing popularity of vintage. They used to be seen as junk store where you'd go if you couldn't afford anything else, whereas now they have a new kind of cool over them to some groups of people.
    Normally you can't haggle, but under the right conditions its possible. Like take movie exchange/vintage, its a second hand retail store, but sometimes something sits for a really long time, but unlike say gamestop they don't reprice as often, and I know one of the managers, so I was looking at something, he said its been here a few years, offered it to me at a few bucks above what they paid for and I took it. The HPB was closer to price matching then haggling, but especially when an item is damaged sometimes managers will have a little leeway to get it out there.

    Thats cool about the flea markets, they can be fun, but recently they haven't had the deals of the past then again there are only a handful in my area.

  4. #24
    Senior Member banditwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    GW Villian HQ litterbox
    Posts
    11,950
    Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    I have the same issue with HPB, they built themselves on selling stuff cheap, ie half price, but now I go into a store and see anime boxsets and games for a couple of hundred dollars, and then I see books at a thousand. I mean they went from half price to more than retail. I mean sometimes some of the employees are cool, I have once asked about a demons souls, and he actually matched gamestop and then knocked off half, but others are like that's the amazon or ebay price.
    They are "collectable".
    Prices got a little worse once they started using the national pricing stickers.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    But this is a good sign, because it means you're dealing with people who have no idea what they have in their hands.

    On flee markets out here, you sometimes see people sell PS2 shovelware for like $15 a piece, and next to that lie complete PC big box games for $2. I once asked a woman about the price difference and she told me "the PC games were cheaper because they were older". :-)
    Bahaha. Yeah that's some fine logic, which has mostly disappeared here.

    @Klown: One of the best things you can do at flee markets is dump junk games. When you see someone pricing all games the same you know you have a likely candidate. *evil grin*

    As for haggling, yeah it just depends on who is working at the time. I try to be nice to all employees I come across, because it never hurts. Recently at a local chain there was a buy x get x sale and it was supposed to only be on dvds/blus/music cds/records. I know the manager at that location though and he let me do it on games and I got a nice score. They used to be amazing on older games but they've caught on for some systems and mark stuff closer to ebay values. But if you shop there enough and you ask, you can get a deal on those as well.

    @Bandit: Yeah, the HBP near me closed down, but before they did I could tell they were pricing off Amazon. I'd just wait to use coupons, but sometimes there are silly errors because they just price off Amazon without looking at the page. With my HBP this was mostly because of bootleg anime sets since they didn't get many games (terrible local store has the use retro game market more or less cornered in that town).
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,834
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    But this is a good sign, because it means you're dealing with people who have no idea what they have in their hands.

    On flee markets out here, you sometimes see people sell PS2 shovelware for like $15 a piece, and next to that lie complete PC big box games for $2. I once asked a woman about the price difference and she told me "the PC games were cheaper because they were older". :-)
    It's a similar situation here, a thrift store or person could have a junk console game (ie. sports) or a Sims game and want $10, and then ask $2 for a complete goldbox game.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 08-28-2014 at 03:19 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,468
    I rarely go by Goodwill anymore. In my area they're out of the way, the selection is bad, and what does show up is overpriced. Salvation Army has produced a couple decent score for me, but the best results I've had are from small franchise or local thrifts. This initiative seems to make me even less likely to go to. If I want to go to a store with retro stuff I will support my local shop.

    I do buy a fair amount of stuff from my local ARC because the people are friendly, prices aren't too out there, and I believe in the cause they support (which I actually see them support too!). It's also quite easy to stop by on my way home from work, so if I have an extra 15 minutes I will slip in. I'm always amazed at what shows up, old electronics are my catnip and they get so much funky stuff!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    ARC? What is that?
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,834
    American Red Cross?

  10. #30
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,468
    http://www.arcthrift.org/

    Advocacy and support for children and adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities, helping them find housing, jobs, medical assistance and services in school.

    The name used to mean Association for Retarded Citizens, but they changed it because of connotation that retarded has now.

    Anyway, something like over 10% of their employees are developmentally disabled, but they are all such great guys to chat with either way and have such a positive outlook on life. It helps me put everything in perspective sometimes and think about how lucky I am just as a person, even if I don't find something I want to buy at the store.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •