Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What was your first Working Designs game and fondest memory?

Well you didn't REALLY miss out on much with Vay. :P I totally forgot about Robo Aleste, that game was so weird, but cool. It's one I need to get again. Guess I'll have a 6 game SCD collection, maybe more if I could get stuff like Bari-arm for cheap. I personally don't see the appeal to Snatcher but obviously a lot of people like it. It's one of the really overpriced SCD games iirc along with The Space Adventure Cobra The Legendary Bandit and ESPN HANGTIME 95 (actually insanely rare).

Yeah the Saturn was pretty pricey for the time right? Like 400 or so? I was a kid so I thought my N64 was pretty badass at the time.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

yeah, $400 with a surprise launch, and the EB demo i played was the rushed-ass Virtua Fighter =/ i was working at a grocery store as a young teen making $4.25/hour, that would've taken forever! by the time it dropped price, i had a Playstation and i think Suikoden 1 so i was pretty sour grapes by then, as a diehard sega fan. looking back, if i'dve seen Panzer Dragoon instead & waited on the price drop, things would've been quite different i think, haha.

but yeah, i think summer '96 or so that same nearby TRU had a kiosk with Mario 64 up...holy ****, i couldn't put money down fast enough. still one of my favorites too.

I was a bit younger at the time. I got the Mario 64 bundle for Christmas iirc. At some point I had over 40 CIB games for it and all the playable games more or less. Though Banjo Tooie came out after I got rid of it I think (I loooooooved Banjo Kazooie as a kid, it was just magical for me at the time, idk).

TempestOne
    Last edited by TempestOne; 02-08-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    yeah, $400 with a surprise launch, and the EB demo i played was the rushed-ass Virtua Fighter =/ i was working at a grocery store as a young teen making $4.25/hour, that would've taken forever! by the time it dropped price, i had a Playstation and i think Suikoden 1 so i was pretty sour grapes by then, as a diehard sega fan. looking back, if i'dve seen Panzer Dragoon instead & waited on the price drop, things would've been quite different i think, haha.

but yeah, i think summer '96 or so that same nearby TRU had a kiosk with Mario 64 up...holy ****, i couldn't put money down fast enough. still one of my favorites too.
    I remember Christmas '96 begging and ultimately convincing my mom to get me a Sega Saturn for Christmas. It had dropped in price to either $249 or $299 and came with virtua fighter 2, virtua cop, daytona 500 and sega rally championship. I loved that thing so much. My brother got Tomb Raider sometime after new years, and then X-Men CotA and later Marvel Super Heroes. I remember just salivating at previews in magazines for Shining Force III and MKR, which I caught both of them at an EB Games when I was visiting my sister/extended family the summer of '99. I bought Dragon Force instead of Panzer Dragoon Saga at a Toys'R'us, and while I regret the monetary decision, I don't think I would have gotten quite as much enjoyment out of PDS as I did DF.

I was way late to the party on N64, my older brother lucked into one for Christmas but I forget the year, probably '97. My mom went shopping because she had a hard to find Gameboy Color on on hold at Wal-mart and she had resigned herself to the fact that she wasn't going to be able to get my bro an N64. The clerk just had a cancelled layaway order with the N64 and didn't want to call the people on the waiting list so she sold it to my mom lol. He took it with him when he moved out a year or so later, so I didn't buy my own until the end of the summer of 2000; which ironically, I did the exact same thing at the end of the summer of '03 with the Gamecube.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

TempestOne

I would agree that Dragon Force is a much better game than PDS. Also very nice being able to get SF3 and MKR for around retail. I got into Saturn and SCD so late that even the first time I bought the games I had to pay a fair bit for the really good titles. I never did get Dragonforce, MKR or Albert Odyssey the first time around.

I loved the N64. Banjo Kazooie, Star Fox 64, SM64, Winback (LULZ), Goldeneye, OoT etc...I grew up on those games basically.

Quote Originally Posted by TempestOne View Post
    ^ Oh, my God! I picked the Waverace 64 bundle like an idiot and got Super Mario 64 on the side but Waverace was so much better than Super Mario 64 AND Starfox 64. It's true. It's my favorite launch title ever it's so good. I thought the controls were so difficult to figure out but once you got the hang of it, you'll remember it for life.

I don't really understand these notions of a "Zelda-clone" I think that's doing a disservice to both the games in comparison, no offense. LOL Like I've played those kinds of games before any Zelda incarnation ever came out, I think. I actually loved the Zelda games I've played but the fanatics are a little overzealous about the titles at times.

Oh, I always saw the Sega Saturn on display and it even got its own videogame aisle at our local Toys-R-Us. They always had Panzer Dragoon for-play there and I don't think they EVER changed it so I must've beaten the game in-store by the time three years went by, hehe. The other Toys-R-Us across town had NiGHTS into Dreams... on display for-play and I think they had Pandemonium, too. I talked to all my friends and "game store" friends too, and no one was interested at our age so I avoided it. I thought Panzer Dragoon was okay-ish.

That's kind of happened to me before with regarding the Nintendo 64 disc-drive. Nintendo Power kept promising over and over that we'd get a 64DD by Christmas so we can play more RPGs, which was literally their description for it, and it never surfaced/materialized. I was just like *blink* and moved on with my life. Kinda sad/pathetic my relationship with Nintendo I haven't picked up a system for it since.
    It maybe a disservice, but that is the way it is. It seems the gaming world thinks Zelda has a monopoly on fantasy adventure rpg games with top down views.

I have always been curious about the naming. I know Alundra 2 was published by a different company, but how did they get the rights to the name? Was it developed by the same company? I mean the games seem too different to be made by the same group.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Someone decided to try to take advantage of the first game being good and grab some cash.

TempestOne

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast