Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: What was your first Working Designs game and fondest memory?

  1. #11
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    Lunar: SSSC here, too, and it came around at a time when I REALLY needed it. A lot of things in my life were going south with no immediate solution in sight, and Lunar gave me a great world to retreat into until I got my head on right. I'm not sure if it was the game itself or just my own circumstances that pulled me deeper into it, but it was really my first taste of true fandom, and got me through a really negative time in my life (I even wrote fanfiction, which I haven't done before or since).

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Korriban
    Posts
    936
    the Lunar Games, been watching HCBailey's Let's Play of Silver Star Story.......my God, the Localized Script, it is Freaking magical. It's practically a Gag dub in some areas, we need more Localizations to do this.........or to go balls to the wall and outright make a Gag Dub.

  3. #13
    You all make me feel old. My first game of WD was either Lunar 1 or Vay on the sega CD back in the 90's. After that it all went downhill fast, in a good way. I own almost all Working Design games with their collectors editions, and am hoping Gaijin can bring back the magic.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Lirishae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Eastern US
    Posts
    253
    My first WD game was Lunar: The Silver Star waaaay back when on the Sega CD. Because I had gotten to go to a sleepover, my mom decided to treat my brother by allowing him to rent a Sega CD and a game to go with it, which turned out to be Lunar. (That local rental store was never very good about carrying RPGs, so I suspect that the relative dearth of games and Lunar's good sales caused them to pick it up. Lucky for us!) When I got home the next day I expected him to be mad at me, but instead he was excited to show me this awesome RPG he had discovered XD This was the first game we had ever seen with voice acting or any degree of animation, and we were both totally blown away by it. I still remember how he told me to search Ghaleon's desk the moment I got to Vane XDDD The characters were just fantastic and the dialogue the best I'd ever seen in a game, and it made me pester my parents for a Sega CD (though by the time they granted said request, I was overjoyed to discover Lunar 2 sitting next to it on the Toys R Us shelf )

    My best memory is truly difficult to pick, but the first one that jumped to my mind is Lunar 2's epilogue. I'd never seen anything that let you keep playing after beating the game, and it was just an incredibly amazing experience to be able to roam around the world again after "beating" the game and seeing what the characters and NPCs were up to now. Every RPG should have an epilogue like L2's, ha--best ending EVER XD I remember wandering into the Dragon Ruins with just Hiro and getting my tail kicked by the doppelgangers there, which made me go, "Oh...you mean I was supposed to get the gang back together again first? o.o" XDDDD

    While it's not exactly a worst memory, to this day I've still not met a boss tougher than Borgan. And if I recall correctly he was even nerfed slightly for the US version. But it was great how Lunn and Borgan were appropriately tough fights...even if "You're wrong, Lunn!" is now an in-joke between me and my brother from watching that danged cutscene so many times XDDDD
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

  5. #15
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,543
    My first WD games go way back to the TG-16 with Cadash and Vasteel. But my first substantial memory of Working Designs was picking up Alundra, in 1998, and opening it up. The quality of the packaging, printed disk, manual, and included map, was second to none. And it had that paper and ink smell like a brand new novel. The gameplay and localization made me a Working Designs fan. And the puzzles... Talk about some tough ones.

  6. #16
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Kou The Mad View Post
    the Lunar Games, been watching HCBailey's Let's Play of Silver Star Story.......my God, the Localized Script, it is Freaking magical. It's practically a Gag dub in some areas, we need more Localizations to do this.........or to go balls to the wall and outright make a Gag Dub.
    Wow, that's a pretty awesome Let's Play.

  7. #17
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,543
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty awesome Let's Play.
    You guys can actually listen to that guy?

    He loses me after the first 10 seconds.

  8. #18
    Member AzMoon26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    My first WD game was Lunar: The Silver Star waaaay back when on the Sega CD. Because I had gotten to go to a sleepover, my mom decided to treat my brother by allowing him to rent a Sega CD and a game to go with it, which turned out to be Lunar. (That local rental store was never very good about carrying RPGs, so I suspect that the relative dearth of games and Lunar's good sales caused them to pick it up. Lucky for us!) When I got home the next day I expected him to be mad at me, but instead he was excited to show me this awesome RPG he had discovered XD This was the first game we had ever seen with voice acting or any degree of animation, and we were both totally blown away by it. I still remember how he told me to search Ghaleon's desk the moment I got to Vane XDDD The characters were just fantastic and the dialogue the best I'd ever seen in a game, and it made me pester my parents for a Sega CD (though by the time they granted said request, I was overjoyed to discover Lunar 2 sitting next to it on the Toys R Us shelf )

    My best memory is truly difficult to pick, but the first one that jumped to my mind is Lunar 2's epilogue. I'd never seen anything that let you keep playing after beating the game, and it was just an incredibly amazing experience to be able to roam around the world again after "beating" the game and seeing what the characters and NPCs were up to now. Every RPG should have an epilogue like L2's, ha--best ending EVER XD I remember wandering into the Dragon Ruins with just Hiro and getting my tail kicked by the doppelgangers there, which made me go, "Oh...you mean I was supposed to get the gang back together again first? o.o" XDDDD

    While it's not exactly a worst memory, to this day I've still not met a boss tougher than Borgan. And if I recall correctly he was even nerfed slightly for the US version. But it was great how Lunn and Borgan were appropriately tough fights...even if "You're wrong, Lunn!" is now an in-joke between me and my brother from watching that danged cutscene so many times XDDDD
    Heh, I remember calling Working Designs back in the day and listening to the automated voice strategy for Borgan. The in-joke in the Playstation version was awesome, too, "He was much harder last time!"

  9. #19
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    You guys can actually listen to that guy?

    He loses me after the first 10 seconds.
    I didn't listen to ALL of it, but his commentary and some of the stuff he does (like running through the same section in the SEGA CD and PS1 version for comparisons) is pretty cool.

  10. #20
    Senior Member lolipez007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your house :3
    Posts
    144
    First game was probably Lunar 2 PS1 and my fondest memory was watching Lucia evolve as a warm and caring person from her initial robotically cold/calculating personality.
    PSN: lopez1679
    3DS FC: 1177-7236-7557
    "Achtung, baby"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •