Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooters!

Shooters!

Working Designs was mostly known for its RPGs, but there was also a whole load of shooters in the collection. Raystorm/Crisis, Thunderforce V, Elemental Gearbolt, and Silpheed made up a small but noticeable percentage (17.2%, if my calculator isn't lying to me) of the output. I see a lot of RPG love around here but not a lot of shooter goodness, so here's what's been making me happy in the last couple years-

Jamestown- probably the best vertical shooter in a while, approachable while also being playable by a human with mortal reflexes and not requiring the pure memorization that's necessary for Cave's crazier output. Jamestown Plus is hitting PS4 soon-ish, originally planned for "summer" but I think that plan isn't going to happen. Unless it came out and I missed it, of course.

We Are Doomed- Arena twin-stick shooter that has its own unique take on the genre. You've got an energy beam that constantly fires a limited distance, incredibly powerful but not so much so that enemies get swept instantly away, with a mellow soundtrack that turns the heavy action into a near-meditative exertion. It's also coming to PS4/Xbox One next year.

I'd also like to add TxK, but don't have a Vita so haven't gotten to play it. PS4 version eventually-ish, complete with support for Morpheus, and the PC version will support Oculus Rift. Because Jeff Minter is crazy in all the awesome-est ways.

Anyone feel like adding to the list? Most of Cave's 360 releases were region-free, after all.

I am not normally a proponent of the HD Remake. I think that if a game is good enough to be deserving of such an honor, then the game is good enough to play in its original form without an HD remake.

Elemental Gearbolt is an exception. And its not because of how good or bad the game is - it is because the Guncon does not function with HDTV's - at least, mine didn't (nor did the Dreamcast gun, for that matter).

While I seriously doubt that a significant enough portion of the PS3 userbase has either a gun controller or the gun adapter thing for the Playstation Move to make bringing Elemental Gearbolt (and, frankly, Point Blank 1 and 2) to the PS3 or PS4 (does Move work with the PS4?) Due to technological issues I for one would love to see those games brought forward.

I've been playing Sapphire lately and a bunch of Parodius before that. Also played pretty much everything on the Dreamcast.

Speaking of which if you have a Wii and want some great shmups for a great price grab Ultimate Shooting Collection for the Wii. The name is very stupid but it's Karous, Radirgy and Chaos Field. It's $2 at Gamestop if you can find it there.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I actually realized I'd forgotten to pick up Ultimate Shooting Collection last year and was shocked that it was $2. I mean sure, bad name and terrible box-art, but it's a shooter compilaton of three games previously only available on Dreamcast via import. I always thought it would end up with collector's, not shovelware, pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroshak View Post
    the Guncon does not function with HDTV's - at least, mine didn't (nor did the Dreamcast gun, for that matter).
    Most lightguns from before LCDs took over relied on screen curvature to determine positioning.
    I was a bit disappointed the Wii didn't get more light gun games because its controller was perfect for it and worked without a hitch on flat screens. There's still tons of arcade-only lightgun games that never got home console ports of any sort.

This is really the right thread at the right time!

I've been adding a lot of shooters to my collection in the past year. And yet so much still on my wish list. Especially since I own a PC Engine now too. :-)
    Would add that Ultimate Shooting Collection to my wish list, but of course no Euro release...

Stuff I own:
    Attachment 363Attachment 364

Pic1: Gall Force: Defence of Chaos, Andorogynus, Volguard, Zanac Ex, Super Laydock, Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1 (contains 1941 for example), Gradius V, DariusBurst, PC Engine Best Collection: Ginga Ojousama Densetsu (featuring Sapphire), Gradius Collection, Parodius Portable, Salamander Portable, Sengoku Cannon, Star Soldier (PSP), TwinBee Portable, Gradius/Nemesis, TwinBee, Knightmare, Pippols, Sky Jaguar, Super Cobra, Time Pilot, Nemesis 3: Eve of Destruction, Ikaruga, Star Soldier (GC)

Pic2: Quarth, Space Manbow, Parodius, Salamander (MSX), Gradius 2 (MSX), Hi no Tori Hououhen, Arrow Flash, Phelios, Twin Hawk, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Zero Wing, Detana!! TwinBee, Dragon Spirit, Image Fight, Veigues Tactical Gladiator (some loose cartridges that are basically double dips), 1942 and Bosconian.
    (I accidentally put in Fighting Run there, which is not a shooter of course. Maybe Veigues isn't really considered one either. )

Stuff that's at my friend's place in Japan still:
    - PC Engine: Ai Cho Aniki, Dragon Saber, Gradius, Gradius II: Gopher no Yabou, Salamander, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Soldier Blade, Coryoon
    - MSX: R-Type, Star Soldier (BeeCard), Famicle Parodic 2, Laydock

HUGE wish list (and probably forgetting some):
    - Aleste (MSX)
    - Aleste 2 (MSX)
    - Aleste Gaiden (MSX)
    - Laydock II (MSX)
    - TNT (MSX)
    - Undeadline (MSX)

- Elemental Master (Genesis / Mega Drive)
    - Gaiares (Mega Drive)
    - Thunder Force 1-4 (Mega Drive)

- Darius Plus (PC Engine)
    - Fantasy Zone (PC Engine)
    - Final Soldier (PC Engine)
    - Gunhed (PC Engine)
    - Mr. Heli (PC Engine)
    - Magical Chase (PC Engine)
    - Nexzr (PC Engine)
    - Parodius Da! (PC Engine)
    - R-Type (CD-ROM) (PC Engine)
    - Raiden (PC Engine)
    - Side Arms (PC Engine)
    - Star Parodier (PC Engine)
    - Summer Carnival '93: Nexzr Special (PC Engine)
    - Super Darius (PC Engine)
    - Super Darius II (PC Engine)
    - Super Raiden (PC Engine)
    - Super Star Soldier (PC Engine)
    - Toilet Kids (PC Engine)
    (- Zero Wing (PC Engine))

- R-Type Final (PS2)
    - Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PS2) <- sadly not the Working Designs one because region lock...
    - Castle Shikigami II (PS2)

- Soldier Collection (PSP)

- Ketsui (PS3)
    - Caladrius (PS3)

Something I should really consider adding to the list? :-)
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 09-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    I actually realized I'd forgotten to pick up Ultimate Shooting Collection last year and was shocked that it was $2. I mean sure, bad name and terrible box-art, but it's a shooter compilaton of three games previously only available on Dreamcast via import. I always thought it would end up with collector's, not shovelware, pricing.
    Radirgy was ported to GC as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radirgy

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Radirgy was ported to GC as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radirgy
    But not in the US. Chaos Field however is available in the US on cube. USC is by far the cheapest way to have all those games.

Nice group of games you have, btw.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    But not in the US. Chaos Field however is available in the US on cube. USC is by far the cheapest way to have all those games.
    I was just replying because he said the game was only available on Dreamcast. And Japanese GC games can easily be played on a US GC. And it's not like GameCube games are expensive in Japan. I got my Star Soldier for €3 or €4...
    But you're right, the UGC is clearly the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Nice group of games you have, btw.
    But I need more!

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    My avatar shows my love for WD "non-RPG" games. I have every WD shooter (only missing a handful of WD games in general). It's a favorite genre of mine along with RPGs.

Hard to say where my love for the genre started, but it was probably Life Force on the NES. I have a large amount of shooters from 8-bit to modern. My favorites are probably the old Compile games. Not been playing as many modern shooters lately but I have a few new Cave games on-hand when I get a chance to fire them up.

Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast