Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooters!

This review of Lightening Force / Thunder Force IV is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMB-OAodJ4w

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    This review of Lightening Force / Thunder Force IV is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMB-OAodJ4w
    I like CGR. I always thought that the part of the Thunder Force V review at 5:15 is hilarious, because I always thought that the computer voice was unintelligible as well.

Classic Game Room - THUNDER FORCE V review for Plů: http://youtu.be/zxceb6-awHU

I love japanese shooters and have quit a lot.
    My grand jewel is my japanese do don pachii for the ps2.

Japanese shooters are nice, but the Western-style twin-stick shooter has been pretty amazing lately as well. It's also a genre that has the advantag of getting a decent amount of good games releasing both recently and coming soon. I mentioned We Are Doomed in my first post, but Zenzizenzic really needs to be seen as well. There's a demo available that backs this up. I'm not really sure where Binding of Isaac falls in the twin-stick shooter category but I can't wait for the remake's early-November release.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    Japanese shooters are nice, but the Western-style twin-stick shooter has been pretty amazing lately as well. It's also a genre that has the advantag of getting a decent amount of good games releasing both recently and coming soon. I mentioned We Are Doomed in my first post, but Zenzizenzic really needs to be seen as well. There's a demo available that backs this up. I'm not really sure where Binding of Isaac falls in the twin-stick shooter category but I can't wait for the remake's early-November release.
    Never heard of it. :-)

On a side note, a little history lesson: "zenzizenzizenzic" (not "zenzizenzic", as the game is called) is actually an English word. It was made up by a Welsh mathematician called Robert Recorde. In his book The Whetstone of Witte (published in 1557) he introduced a new word for the "square of squares squaredly", namely "zenzizenzizenzic". Nowadays one would call it the eighth power of a number, I guess. But back then that was a huge unimagineable number.

While the word "zenzizenzizenzic" became completely obsolete and forgotten (I'm assuming not many of you had even heard of it), Robert Recorde's book The Whetstone of Witte became somewhat legendary among mathematicians because it introduced the equality sign (=) that we all still use and are familiar with to this day.

Zenzizenzic is to the fourth power. Zenzizenzizenzic is eighth. I imagine it gets silly if you do zenzizenzizenzizenzic for 16th power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    Zenzizenzic is to the fourth power. Zenzizenzizenzic is eighth. I imagine it gets silly if you do zenzizenzizenzizenzic for 16th power.
    Funny you should say that. I actually wrote a little piece (in English) about it a couple of years ago. I'll post it here. Mind you that this is fiction. (And that I'm not a native speaker.)

Philip (brother and confidant of Robert Recorde): "Robert, we have a problem."

Robert: "What now? Don't tell me that damned dog's eaten my bloody whig again?"

P: "No, no. It's a matter of a completely different nature this time. But I'll go check on the dog right after this."

R: "So, what is it?"

P: "They invented the square of squares of squares squaredly."

R: "They did what?"

P: "They invented the square of square of ..."

R: "Yes, yes, I heard you the first time. That's proposterous!"

P: "Some mathematician from Manchester claims he has invented it."

R: "Dear Lord! From Manchester!"

P: "Yeah...!"

R: "Anyway, why is this a problem? Nobody's going to need such ridiculously high numbers after all. Can you imagine the size of the abacus needed to work with them? Nobody's ever going to put that into practice."

P: "Well, I was thinking that sooner or later there's going to be some french king..."

R: "You're right... those damned frogs and their stupid self-important kings!"

P: "And what's even worse... they're going to need a new word for this."

R: "Yes... and?"

P: "Don't you see where this is going? They'll probably call it 'zenzizenzizenzizenzic.'. And then when they invent the square of that, it's going to be 'zenzizenzizenzizenzi...'".

R: "Yes, alright, alright! I get it! .... Good lord, I'm going to be the laughing stock at every single royal court, aren't I? .... Think we can still stop those bloody monks from copying the manuscript?"

P: "I'm afraid not. I heard they're as good as finished... But fortunately we still have that 'equals' sign."

R: "Oh, who bloody cares about that silly thing?!"

TempestOne
    I'm into shooters that make gameplay-sense. You shoot, it hits, it blows up, power/?. Those come a dime-a-dozen, and it's hard to pick up a good one from the rest of the pack unless you have some guidance 'cuz all the cover art starts to look the same. My favorite newer one is Geometry Wars on the Xbox Live, and it's the only reason I'd ever pick up a Xbox, which is a system I currently don't have, for a "paltry" shooter...but it's fun! I just need that one inkling or link to a videogame, and I'm up for paying for a new system, all the time.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved is actually on Steam right now, and the new Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is on the way. If you've got a PC you're already set.

TempestOne
    Wish I had a cool, Japanese series of shmooters. They're heavily-story involved and it's like, life or death. Scenarios in "western," I guess is in the heavy-area you have to cover and the drop & go feelin'.. I thought Mischief Makers was kind of in that realm, 'cuz it had a hybrid feel to it, 'n I liked how there were cinema bits in almost every, "scene."

Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast