Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Popful Mail (Sega CD): Why was this game made so difficult for the US version?

  1. #1
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,301

    Question Popful Mail (Sega CD): Why was this game made so difficult for the US version?

    I had a chance to try Popful Mail on my JVC X'EYE a few months ago and liked the premise, art style, and humor, but why was the game made so difficult? No reaction when you got hit (just kept draining your life quickly / no bounce back).

    The game seemed to rely more on quick movements, sometimes moving ahead, other times, going backwards and attacking, etc. Boss battles were a huge problem. Maybe I just have to remember the moves or something, but this one boss where you have to jump on platforms to attack and it throws bombs every 1 second, I just couldn't get past--and it turned me off from the game, unfortunately!

    Was the difficulty intentional? (Aimed at Vic!)

    Do you wish it (the game) had some changes done? If so, what?

  2. #2
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I had a chance to try Popful Mail on my JVC X'EYE a few months ago and liked the premise, art style, and humor, but why was the game made so difficult? No reaction when you got hit (just kept draining your life quickly / no bounce back).

    The game seemed to rely more on quick movements, sometimes moving ahead, other times, going backwards and attacking, etc. Boss battles were a huge problem. Maybe I just have to remember the moves or something, but this one boss where you have to jump on platforms to attack and it throws bombs every 1 second, I just couldn't get past--and it turned me off from the game, unfortunately!

    Was the difficulty intentional? (Aimed at Vic!)

    Do you wish it (the game) had some changes done? If so, what?
    I don't remember changing the difficulty of this game. It also wasn't all that hard until the very last battle.

    We did change a lot of things, just not difficulty (I don't think, but it's been a LONG TIME). The parallax scrolling clouds weren't in the Japanese version, and the opening animation music and sound effects are much better in the US version.

    Japanese opening:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVOL6_sgfQs&t=2m41s

    US Opening:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpfRBRwDu0&t=3m38s

  3. #3
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,500
    Popful Mail is probably my most favoritest game on the Sega CD, and while it can be difficult sometimes, you really just have to play for awhile until you get the feel of the controls when you're starting out. It's Falcom too, so the game has some great music too!

    I still really enjoy the Sega CD version out of all the others that were released (SFC, SuperCD Rom, PC-88/98), but it could just be because that is the first one I played. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and wish they'd make another game.

    Vic, do you know what some more of the changes were? There was a beta of this from WD that went up on ebay several months ago but the ending price was a bit out of my budget.

  4. #4
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    It's Falcom?

    *hooks up the CDX*

  5. #5
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Popful Mail is probably my most favoritest game on the Sega CD, and while it can be difficult sometimes, you really just have to play for awhile until you get the feel of the controls when you're starting out. It's Falcom too, so the game has some great music too!

    I still really enjoy the Sega CD version out of all the others that were released (SFC, SuperCD Rom, PC-88/98), but it could just be because that is the first one I played. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and wish they'd make another game.

    Vic, do you know what some more of the changes were? There was a beta of this from WD that went up on ebay several months ago but the ending price was a bit out of my budget.
    I don't remember the changes other than the parallax, opening, and outtakes offhand, but I know we did more. I just don't remember changing dififculty.

    What did the popful beta go for? I never heard about that.

  6. #6
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    It's Falcom?

    *hooks up the CDX*
    SEGAFalcom, actually. The only game before that dissolved. Such a shame.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PW_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    286
    I didn't even know there was a SegaFalcom, but I'm a much more recent fan of the brand. That sounds like it had the potential to be the greatest thing ever.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    This is the only game I saved after liquidating my sega cd assets years ago. I don't remember difficulty being a factor at all, but it sure was a great game.

  9. #9
    Member Sayaka Miki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mitakihara City
    Posts
    52
    Maybe I'm just bad at games like this, but I found it pretty tough too! The wood golem boss in particular took me quite a while to beat.

  10. #10
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,500
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    I don't remember the changes other than the parallax, opening, and outtakes offhand, but I know we did more. I just don't remember changing dififculty.

    What did the popful beta go for? I never heard about that.
    It went for about $120 last November. That was still a premium over the price of the game itself (hard to believe it's gone up to well over $100 in many cases now), and I was the second highest bidder (or highest loser as one might say).

    I was skeptical at first, but the person had the provenance of being a former staffer for GameFan, plus I talked with some folks who seemed to confirm the age and type of media (TDK) it was burned on. I think it was more of a press copy than a real beta, but the seller said that there were differences between it and the retail version so my interest was piqued.

    It did come with the original Popful Mail packaging though, which initially gave me pause, but they said "The packaging was finished when we received the rom so they put it in the retail package which was nice. " I'd have love to have gotten a hold of it and made a copy of the ISO for people to poke around at but after 6 months and no information I'm pretty sure it's stuck in a hoarder's basement now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •