Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Popful Mail (Sega CD): Why was this game made so difficult for the US version?

There's always Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    To this day, I have never been able to kill Melzas xD Nor could anyone else I knew in real life, so I never got to see the ending T_T;;
    The ending animation from that game is one of my favorite ever. The back and forth between Slick and Muttonhead, the whole setting, and the music really reinforce the sense of accomplishment. Slick's "I ain't suckin' nothin'" retort makes me smile every time.

To this day, I have never been able to kill Melzas xD Nor could anyone else I knew in real life, so I never got to see the ending T_T;;
    The key with this game if you're not very good or just starting out is to grind for gold, then stock up on lots of healing items. Also, take advantage of the fact that the game lets you save almost anywhere and keep your progress. That way if you're not very good you can at least continue to heal and slam away at the bosses, heal when you get low, and continue.

That wood golem is a good example of a boss that could make you pull your hair out until you got it figured out unless you had a lot of healing items. I remember the first time I started getting the timing figured when I was playing this back in middle school out I thought I was the god of gaming!

Here's an example (not mine) if you want to see a good run on the Wood Golem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTr9bMLeLKg

Thanks for the advice, but...Melzas is the final boss of Alundra, not Popful Mail. D:
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

Thanks for the advice, but...Melzas is the final boss of Alundra, not Popful Mail. D:
    So were you talking about the Popful Mail boss and confused the name, or just interjecting an anecdote about another hard boss (Melzas in Alundra)?

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    So were you talking about the Popful Mail boss and confused the name, or just interjecting an anecdote about another hard boss (Melzas in Alundra)?
    It was a response to this xD

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    In games like Alundra, the last boss was rebalanced to make it challenging but overall EASIER because the Japanese version took a ridiculous and un-fun number of hits to kill.
    I quoted it in my original post to make it clear what I was responding to, but I guess everyone overlooked it XD
    Last edited by Lirishae; 05-19-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

A bit of a necrobump but I am just so happy since I finally got my copy of the Popful Mail Soundbox!

Japan Pickups 1 by xelement5x, on Flickr

It's got the SFC, MegaCD, and PCE soundtracks going on. Personally I like the second disc with the MegaCD/PCE stuff better, but I'm really just happy to finally be able to listen to the whole thing since it's rather difficult to locate for a good price. I might just boot the game up this weekend and give it a play through again.

Hey Vic, what led to WD chosing the Sega CD version over the SNES one?

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    A bit of a necrobump but I am just so happy since I finally got my copy of the Popful Mail Soundbox!
    I envy you SO much right now >>;;;

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    Hey Vic, what led to WD chosing the Sega CD version over the SNES one?
    SNES was cartridge (too expensive), and the SEGA CD version was the best experience of the versions. Even better than the PC-Engine version. That one-time SEGAFalcom magic.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast