Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: PSN access via PSP being discontinued on Sep15 ?

  1. #31
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    This is what I was referring to when someone asked about the EU CoH2 for PSP progress. I couldn't say WHAT the problem was because it wasn't public yet, but this is the "negative" development I was referring to. As has finally been revealed after a couple days of US freakouts, it's not a US thing.
    But CoH2 is Vita compatible, right?

  2. #32
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    But CoH2 is Vita compatible, right?
    Yes for the US/NA, but Vita's another set of certifications for SCEE that have to be done that are discrete from the US testing. This development (we got it a while ago) basically made it not worth it to keep pursuing the PSP release. We'll just concentrate on the PS3 version for EU.

  3. #33
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Yes for the US/NA, but Vita's another set of certifications for SCEE that have to be done that are discrete from the US testing. This development (we got it a while ago) basically made it not worth it to keep pursuing the PSP release. We'll just concentrate on the PS3 version for EU.
    Well, Sony sure doesn't make it easy for you to build that CoH brand in the West, don't they. ;-)

  4. #34
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Well, Sony sure doesn't make it easy for you to build that CoH brand in the West, don't they. ;-)
    NA is the prime market for us, and Sony's been very accommodating. The EU development for the PSP stuff sucks, but we'll keep rolling, still trying to get RPGs to the EU as well. Consolidating the ratings boards for all of Europe will really help the flow of games in general from everyone, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

  5. #35
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    NA is the prime market for us, and Sony's been very accommodating. The EU development for the PSP stuff sucks, but we'll keep rolling, still trying to get RPGs to the EU as well. Consolidating the ratings boards for all of Europe will really help the flow of games in general from everyone, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

    Yeah, but if you would bring the same games to another platform, e.g. Steam, what Ghostlight is doing now with Elminage Gothic and with the Agarest series, it seems far easier to roll out a digital release to a worldwide audience.

    Of course I don't know all the nits and bits of what they had to go through. But on those console platforms, it all seems more of a pain.

  6. #36
    Senior Member banditwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    GW Villian HQ litterbox
    Posts
    11,963
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    This is what I was referring to when someone asked about the EU CoH2 for PSP progress. I couldn't say WHAT the problem was because it wasn't public yet, but this is the "negative" development I was referring to. As has finally been revealed after a couple days of US freakouts, it's not a US thing.
    I see. Too bad it affects your releases.
    As I've been seeing it is only psp access. So wouldn't it still be worth pursuing if the games can be purchases over PS3 or the webstore?

  7. #37
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    wouldn't it still be worth pursuing if the games can be purchases over PS3 or the webstore?
    I'd imagine at least 95% of gamers buy the games they want digitally through the system they intend to play it on.

  8. #38
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    I see. Too bad it affects your releases.
    As I've been seeing it is only psp access. So wouldn't it still be worth pursuing if the games can be purchases over PS3 or the webstore?
    You're only going to narrow down what is already a small market: PSP owners who also own a PS3 or have access to a windows PC, and are tech savvy enough to get the files transferred.

    I think it's a smart call from Vic to focus on a EU release of 2G instead. Larger install base than the Vita, and afaik there are very few dungeon crawlers available on PS3 (in Europe) which may add to the appeal.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,836
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I could run a VM, but I don't want to pay for Windows and I don't pirate software. Never needed a VM before.

    I do use a Windows machine for work, but it's solely for work stuff.
    A junk machine would run about the same as a legitimate key at this point and I never said you should. It's not getting shutdown in the US but, Windows is definitely a cheaper option than a PS3.

    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Yeah, but if you would bring the same games to another platform, e.g. Steam, what Ghostlight is doing now with Elminage Gothic and with the Agarest series, it seems far easier to roll out a digital release to a worldwide audience.

    Of course I don't know all the nits and bits of what they had to go through. But on those console platforms, it all seems more of a pain.
    I believe Vic mentioned in another thread that getting stuff on Steam is convoluted.

  10. #40
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    A junk machine would run about the same as a legitimate key at this point and I never said you should. It's not getting shutdown in the US but, Windows is definitely a cheaper option than a PS3.
    Understood, but I'm not about to go to the trouble of installing a VM or digging up an old Windows machine just to install Sony's software for a system that's been discontinued. I already have all of the digital games that I want anyway, since most of my PSP collection is physical.

    Seems to be the trend for game companies and dropping support for games and products. I understand that it all comes down to money, but it makes it evident that there is a very fine line for support of digital software and ultimately there will come a time when it's impossible to buy games or legitimately install software that you purchased. I think that the Dreamcast was the first time that we really saw this coming to consoles, when it came to online content. Alien Front Online was released and then SEGA announced that the plug would be pulled on Sega.Net shortly after. Kinda like... "Enjoy the game now, because you've only got a few month to play it online".

    It's not a lot different from the physical / digital debate simply because games that rely on online for the full experience (Monster Hunter Tri, for instance) are about useless when they are limited to offline campaigns.

    At some point, we need to see a trend where "digital rights" means more than just rights for the copyright holders, but also the consumers that pay for the rights of use. Until laws are in effect that protect consumers, we still have to play by the rules of owners of locked platforms. I think it's going to happen first with online movies and TV. It already happened with music, though only because the file formats permit easy copying. When music distribution first became viable, everything was DRM-encumbered. Now, nobody will buy music that's on lockdown.

    Maybe Sony's ultimate plan is actually to provide a single long-term solution to allow people to buy software. That way they only have to manage a single "platform" for software distribution to depreciated devices. In that sense, it makes it possible to allow you to buy a product indefinitely. If they intend to support PSP software sales over this method for many more years to come, it doesn't sound to bad after all. And it also let's you play the content on other PSP-compatible devices like Vita and PS3.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •