Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Physical vs Digital

  1. #11
    Senior Member Jamesac68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    314
    The way it works with digital is-

    If I'm buying DRM-free, it's just like buying physical except I supply the storage medium. I don't mind paying for that, but seeing as most DRM-free games tend to come in at the same price I'd pay for non-DRM it's rarely rarely (in actual practice, never) an issue.

    If it's got DRM (PSN, Xbox Live, and to a lesser extent Steam) what I'm paying for is the experience, not the game. I've bought a few games full-price that way (Borderlands 2 was the last one) but it's very rare. My ceiling for this is usually $10, but I can be persuaded to $20 for something like the Skyrim Everything Edition.

  2. #12
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    The way it works with digital is-

    If I'm buying DRM-free, it's just like buying physical except I supply the storage medium. I don't mind paying for that, but seeing as most DRM-free games tend to come in at the same price I'd pay for non-DRM it's rarely rarely (in actual practice, never) an issue.

    If it's got DRM (PSN, Xbox Live, and to a lesser extent Steam) what I'm paying for is the experience, not the game. I've bought a few games full-price that way (Borderlands 2 was the last one) but it's very rare. My ceiling for this is usually $10, but I can be persuaded to $20 for something like the Skyrim Everything Edition.
    I came close to buying Strider on X360 a few months ago. Then I just decided not to and imported the Japanese PS3 version for just a few bucks more.

    Other than a few inexpensive games like Double Dragon Neon, Street Fighter 2 (to play online), Bionic Commando Rearmed, Braid, and a few others, I've hardly ever bought digital games on the 360. I did start playing Fable 2 when they offered the first part for free. Then I started buying a few of the incremental episodes before I decided that I didn't really like the game and could have just picked it up used for the same price. That's about when I gave up on downloadable 360 games. Not to mention that the original 20GB drive in the Pro system is woefully inadequate, and I don't think that Microsoft ever was fair reasonable in allowing people to use their own drives. The USB option is okay, but they still try to force people to buy their overpriced drives for the "privilege" of being able to buy games. The whole experience with Microsoft's 360 online system has made me disinterested in buying any future machines from them. They're just a crappy company and aren't very customer-centric; Among the many reasons why I don't use Windows anymore.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    I prefer physical, and I won't even consider digital only on anything but a PC. I've bought two digital games so far, one for legit keys, the other was 1/4th of the normal price and I needed it to be able to purchase the LE.

    At Wiley: You shouldn't need to swap discs on a full install of BG or BG2.

  4. #14
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    At Wiley: You shouldn't need to swap discs on a full install of BG or BG2.
    Afaik that is not possible with the (old) versions I have of these games. Probably some lame form of copy protection. :-)

    These are the ones I got.
    BaldursGates.jpg


    Anyway, I also got digital versions of everything, just for convenience. :-)

  5. #15
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Afaik that is not possible with the (old) versions I have of these games. Probably some lame form of copy protection. :-)

    These are the ones I got.
    BaldursGates.jpg


    Anyway, I also got digital versions of everything, just for convenience. :-)
    I've only ever needed one disc in a drive or mounted with my copies (original US releases and the re-release of BG+TotSC). I blame your European copies and their lame box designs . I don't know if I mentioned it or not before but, have you checked out BGT?
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 09-14-2014 at 07:44 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    I've only ever needed one disc in a drive or mounted with my copies (original US releases and the re-release of BG+TotSC). I blame your European copies and their lame box designs . I don't know if I mentioned it or not before but, have you checked out BGT?
    Now that I think about it, they do allow for a full install. But last time I tried to install them on my Windows 7 PC I ran into what seemed like compatibility issues. Iirc the opening video wasn't played correctly. And the game kept asking me to insert Disc 2 still, but then it wouldn't read the CD-drive when I put in that disc. So I had to re-install it and could only play it swapping discs all the time. Which is not all that bad. But I jumped on the opportunity when I could buy the whole BG collection for cheap digitally.

    Those copies are not the original releases/box designs fortunately. They are budget re-releases, and yeah... ugly box designs.

    What is BGT?

  7. #17
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Now that I think about it, they do allow for a full install. But last time I tried to install them on my Windows 7 PC I ran into what seemed like compatibility issues. Iirc the opening video wasn't played correctly. And the game kept asking me to insert Disc 2 still, but then it wouldn't read the CD-drive when I put in that disc. So I had to re-install it and could only play it swapping discs all the time. Which is not all that bad. But I jumped on the opportunity when I could buy the whole BG collection for cheap digitally.

    Those copies are not the original releases/box designs fortunately. They are budget re-releases, and yeah... ugly box designs.

    What is BGT?
    It's a mod to play BG/TotSC with the BG2 engine and you can go directly to BGII without the need to switch games or export/import characters.

  8. #18
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    It's a mod to play BG/TotSC with the BG2 engine and you can go directly to BGII without the need to switch games or export/import characters.
    Oh, right. I think I've heard of it before, but I don't really play with mods usually.

    Edit: man, just digging up my copies makes me feel like playing the games again... But the first Infinity Engine game I'm going to play next is IWD2, which I still haven't played.
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 09-14-2014 at 08:04 PM.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Oh, right. I think I've heard of it before, but I don't really play with mods usually.

    Edit: man, just digging up my copies makes me feel like playing the games again... But the first Infinity Engine game I'm going to play next is IWD2, which I still haven't played.
    If you do decide to play through again, BGT is a functionality mod with very minor additions to accommodate the move from BG->BG2, Unfinished Business (restore cut content) and the fix packs are also recommended. Which IE games have you played so far (other than BG )?

  10. #20
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    IWD and Planescape, I guess.

    * Goes to lookup what other Infinity Engine games there are. *

    Edit: seems like I played all of them, except for IWD2. :-)
    Edit2: I also got physical and digital copies of all of those, btw. :-)

    More ugly Euro boxes. ;-)

    InfinityGames.jpg
    Last edited by JWiley_12; 09-14-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •