Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Physical vs Digital

  1. #21
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    IWD2 plays about the same as the other games except it's running on 3E.

  2. #22
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    IWD2 plays about the same as the other games except it's running on 3E.
    Frankly I've never really played any of these games with the D&D rules in the back of my head. I just play them because I either enjoy the writing, like the characters and character interaction, or just because I like the game worlds and the weapons and spells and such.

    That's why I also don't really feel the need to play BG1 with mods for example. I understand the later games are a step up in playability, but then I still just enjoy wandering around in BG and gathering my party before venturing forth. ;-)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    IWD and Planescape, I guess.

    * Goes to lookup what other Infinity Engine games there are. *

    Edit: seems like I played all of them, except for IWD2. :-)
    Edit2: I also got physical and digital copies of all of those, btw. :-)

    More ugly Euro boxes. ;-)

    Attachment 371
    Hideous. :P

    As for that particular mod, it just makes the total experience better and more true imo. It's like playing 1 huge epic af game.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Frankly I've never really played any of these games with the D&D rules in the back of my head. I just play them because I either enjoy the writing, like the characters and character interaction, or just because I like the game worlds and the weapons and spells and such.

    That's why I also don't really feel the need to play BG1 with mods for example. I understand the later games are a step up in playability, but then I still just enjoy wandering around in BG and gathering my party before venturing forth. ;-)
    If you want a game that's faithful to the rules, Temple of Elemental Evil is the game . All the IE games are set in the same world (Toril, FR) except Planescape, which is related anyway.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    3,061
    Regarding the topic (though all the PC talk is interesting) I buy both Physical and digital. Generally I buy everything physical when the option is available (even if it's rare or expensive) unless it's dirt cheap digitally, otherwise I may consider buying digital depending on the game.The only exception are PSP games to some extent. I love playing on my PSV, though it's emulation many PSP games play better on the system thanks to the screen and the added controls. I also love the idea of carrying my collection around on the go, my digital PSP collection is larger than my physical one and even re-bought many titles I own physically. I do intend to buy all the games in my digital PSP collection that aren't digital exclusives eventually for collection purposes (at least the ones I like). I also have steam with perhaps a bout a dozen games and also I've bought several DRM free indie games as well as some GOG retro PC games.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    I also love the idea of carrying my collection around on the go, my digital PSP collection is larger than my physical one and even re-bought many titles I own physically.
    Unless you really want to play them on the Vita that seems sort of wasteful, considering it's both easy and legal (at least in the US; 17 U.S.C. Section 117 , might be different in Puerto Rico) to make your own rips/backups of games you own physical copies of already.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 09-15-2014 at 05:21 AM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member JWiley_12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States of Belgium
    Posts
    9,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Unless you really want to play them on the Vita that seems sort of wasteful, considering it's both easy and legal (at least in the US; 17 U.S.C. Section 117 , might be different in Puerto Rico) to make your own rips/backups of games you own physical copies of already.
    So the law says it's ok to make backups of your games. But what does it say about hacking your PSP, installing CFW to actually play those backups?

  8. #28
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    So the law says it's ok to make backups of your games. But what does it say about hacking your PSP, installing CFW to actually play those backups?
    The law is a little weird on this one; Basically you're allowed to modify ('jailbreak') anything that can be used as a phone, and PSP2000/3000/GO have an official version of skype available making them (potentially) fall into this category, but not the 1000 or E-1000. Even then, that's based on a DMCA exception that expires in 2015(?), and doesn't specifically mention portable gaming devices which could in theory be classified as tablets which are not part of the exemption.

    The legal system is pretty messy when it comes to this aspect of technology atm.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 09-15-2014 at 07:19 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    All my PSPs have been on CFW since right after I got them, there's no upside to OFW over CFW that I can think of.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 09-15-2014 at 03:34 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,450
    I'm pretty much all physical versions only.
    The digital only items I've paid money for can be counted on a single hand: Lost Winds (Wii), Braid (360), Ys Origins (Steam), and Costume Quest (PS3). I will probably buy a digital version of Vanguard Bandits eventually though, just so I can get that pin from Vic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •