Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Physical vs Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    This is not what I thought you were talking about :3.
    My initial reaction was sort of to provoke The Gypsy into thinking about ripping his UMDs and playing the games on CFW. (Hence the wink at the end of the sentence.) Because he made it seem as if it's perfectly fine from a legal perspective, whereas I think you're in somewhat of a grey area there. Not that you're ever going to get prosecuted over it most likely. But it's a bit like jaywalking so to speak.

Remember how Vic gave you a free digital copy of the game with your CoH2 physical one? He explicitly gave you a key, and thus permission to play the game digitally. Why would he bother doing that if you could just rip your game and play it on CFW instead? (Yea, I know... "because he's a nice guy". ;-))

Then, because you guys made it seem like Sony was just cashing in with the PlayStation Store PSP section, I felt like I needed to expand on the matter and set out my opinion a bit clearer. Sure, they are cashing in by asking way too much for games you already bought off of them. But I think there are some legal issues too, which they are way too happy to exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    My initial reaction was sort of to provoke The Gypsy into thinking about ripping his UMDs and playing the games on CFW. (Hence the wink at the end of the sentence.) Because he made it seem as if it's perfectly fine from a legal perspective, whereas I think you're in somewhat of a grey area there. Not that you're ever going to get prosecuted over it most likely. But it's a bit like jaywalking so to speak.

Remember how Vic gave you a free digital copy of the game with your CoH2 physical one? He explicitly gave you a key, and thus permission to play the game digitally. Why would he bother doing that if you could just rip your game and play it on CFW instead? (Yea, I know... "because he's a nice guy". ;-))

Then, because you guys made it seem like Sony was just cashing in with the PlayStation Store PSP section, I felt like I needed to expand on the matter and set out my opinion a bit clearer. Sure, they are cashing in by asking way too much for games you already bought off of them. But I think there are some legal issues too, which they are way too happy to exploit.
    Because then we'd have to open out copies!

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    Because then we'd have to open out copies!
    Well, he could still not give you a digital copy, and have you buy one instead, so that you could keep your copy unopened, couldn't he?

It's completely illegal but you will never get prosecuted, that's the point I was making. I do have copies of all my PSP games.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Well, he could still not give you a digital copy, and have you buy one instead, so that you could keep your copy unopened, couldn't he?
    The physical was actually the bonus for buying the digital copy.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    It's completely illegal but you will never get prosecuted, that's the point I was making. I do have copies of all my PSP games.
    It's like the movie industry getting upset about bypassing DVD/BD protections; they huff and they puff but they don't want to take a hit to their reputation by going after someone that owns a copy and bypasses protection to improve the viewing experience.

Edit:
    Knowing the movie/music industry, they've probably made an attempt already though .
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 09-16-2014 at 05:16 PM.

I didn't know people could copy UMD's :O
    Last edited by Yamasura; 09-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.

What's "Completely illegal"? If you're talking about backing up and playing copies of games you own, I went over that on page 3 in some detail (based on US laws), and it's not even close to being "Completely illegal".

Quote Originally Posted by Yamasura View Post
    I didn't know people could copy UMD's :O
    Interestly enough, Sony never made any sort of UMD burners for devs, and instead had a system with the dev kits where a dummy UMD would be used to fake access times when testing a games data streaming/loading. Because of this prototype UMDs are exceptionally rare compared to most other platforms.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 09-16-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    We should probably get off this topic before it delves too deep .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345