Page 181 of 193 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Apparently the whole process was pretty common practice at the time, with the goal being to sell more strategy guides.
    It seems there was more concern over people completing a game as a rental and not buying the game as a result (and/or the time it takes to complete a game and then sell it to a used game store, etc.) This wasn't an issue in Japan due to game rentals being banned in '84 by a revision in the Japanese Copyright Act.

The original Playstation (non-Director's Cut) Resident Evil was changed in similar ways for such reasons. We received stuff like Final Fantasy VI Easytype though in order to get the US comfortable with a genre that was less familiar/marketable to console owners in the US (not having years of Dragon Quest titles to grow up with).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-22-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Yeah I was going to mention the rental aspect as well. Though more specifically with WD, I think the guides were a factor. Not sure if Vic is willing to speak on this.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Strategy guides lost when Internet gained traction

They are a collectible novelty now pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    It seems there was more concern over people completing a game as a rental and not buying the game as a result (and/or the time it takes to complete a game and then sell it to a used game store, etc.) This wasn't an issue in Japan due to game rentals being banned in '84 by a revision in the Japanese Copyright Act.

The original Playstation (non-Director's Cut) Resident Evil was changed in similar ways for such reasons. We received stuff like Final Fantasy VI Easytype though in order to get the US comfortable with a genre that was less familiar/marketable to console owners in the US (not having years of Dragon Quest titles to grow up with).
    The PS1 Resident Evil Director's cut wasn't really one because they didn't restore the original Japanese opening

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    They are a collectible novelty now pretty much.
    Yeah, I love having them. I always had more fun flipping through them, learning secrets and looking at the pictures really.

Yeah I'll pick up newer guides when they are dirt cheap. Usually can grab them for a couple dollars or less. The old WD guides are some of the best still though.

I have a small amount of guides, but will only pick up RPG-related ones just because they usually have nice color pages and artwork.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Good official guides are almost always better than Gamefaqs stuff. Especially when it comes to describing things.

I'm a firm believer that the more a strategy guide is needed the worse the game is.