Page 182 of 193 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'm a firm believer that the more a strategy guide is needed the worse the game is.
    Could depend on the player as well

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    The PS1 Resident Evil Director's cut wasn't really one because they didn't restore the original Japanese opening
    Go buy the Japanese/French/German Playstation version, PC version (or whatever few versions of the game have the uncensored opening) or watch it on YouTube then! I don't understand why this omission is so significant to people (though, I admit to once having the luxury of being able to be concerned about such things in my younger days).

However, we weren't robbed. I love having a variant with increased difficultly and no auto-aim (and even the Dual Shock soundtrack is more hilarious to me than offensive), though people often view them as some sort of crime/injustice (nothing personal, I just get sick of hearing the same tired criticisms/comments being regurgitated).

I honestly think it's one of the best video games ever made and am probably too biased to care much about the obvious flaws/shortcoming in whatever version (and am just the type of person to buy foreign versions of this game and think they are cool/special for having that opening . . . but the fact I haven't actually done this yet is also telling . . . the wish/idea of having such things is probably more interesting than the reality).

Though I DID feel the need to purchase the rather rare/expensive non-director's cut guide (the official US one from Capcom, not the pocket guide from Bradygames) not too long ago. I actually had no idea such a thing existed (though Gypsy is definitely right about guides, they weren't as heavily produced/marketed around that time . . . though Nintendo is a huge and significant exception since they were pushing Nintendo Power subscriptions with the offer of a free guide and actually seemed to have a budget for producing their guides, as well as advertising them . . . when their competition was mostly in black and white/on cheaper paper/not always easy to find or know about/and was very few companies overall that didn't quite have name brand recognition yet). Early Prima/Brady guides and others from companies that didn't survive to be talked about/collected/sought after much these days are pretty shoddy in every way possible.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-23-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Yeah, I love having them. I always had more fun flipping through them, learning secrets and looking at the pictures really.
    This.
    I generally prefer a printed book over internet. And I pretty much only get them cheap.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Too many guides I used to own/wish I did then/now are commonly being sold for $50-100 and that is annoying to say the least.

The Versus FFVII guide and Gamefan RE: Director's cut guides are guilty of this . . . and all of those people late to the Earthbound & Chrono Trigger party that generally prevent me from buying back a part of my childhood I wished I could've afforded to keep in the first place.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-23-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Too many guides I used to own/wish I did then/now are commonly being sold for $50-100 and that is annoying to say the least.
    Result of people viewing them more as collectible rather than practical, I guess. It's much more convenient to have a book in front of me versus internet for it. I wouldn't pay those prices though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Result of people viewing them more as collectible rather than practical, I guess. It's much more convenient to have a book in front of me versus internet for it. I wouldn't pay those prices though.
    Yeah, I only paid $50 at most for the guides mentioned due to how much I like those few games. I try to keep it under $30 (which is only that high due to the rarity/value of the types of guides I seek out . . . Nights into Dreams and Breath of Fire II were around that much and worth it to me for being harder to find in good shape for a reasobable price). I refuse to pay anything remotely close to that for anything that was produced in a much higher volume in the later '90s/'00s.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-23-2017 at 11:49 PM.

And lately guides are getting their own super duper overly priced LEs. $80 for a guide is just derp.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I have a few mailorder-only NES era hint books (Maniac Mansion, Deja Vu, Shadowgate) that were specifically for the NES versions, though there's also simliar books for the original computer versions. I'm not sure if many of these were made for NES games that weren't computer ports . . . or at least Lucasarts and Kemco-Seika bothered to make these and I haven't found many others (Uninvited and its hint book being sold for $100 each these days also bugs me, otherwise I'd have all three MacVenture ports and books).

ASCII did mailorder stuff too (at least in the PS1 era) as well. I have a King's Field II guide from them that also includes maps for the first game (the latter was initially sold individually instead of giving King's Field its own official guide).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-24-2017 at 12:04 AM.

I have fond memories of this FF7 guide (Brady games)

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Fant...ords=FF7+guide

I also have the PC FF7 guide too

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I have fond memories of this FF7 guide (Brady games)

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Fant...ords=FF7+guide

I also have the PC FF7 guide too
    I miss owning that, but went with the Versus guide that is more functional/accurate/complete, which I didn't have back when the game came out. I can't seem to currently justify owning both at their prices, but that would be nice.

Square sued Versus and they weren't allowed to reprint their unofficial guide, that was one of their first, and it seems they didn't print as many as their later guides in the first place (most guides that claim to be unofficial still had to pay licensing fees, from what I understand . . . or were lucky to not get into legal trouble in those days) . . . so it seems more worthy of its cost/value by comparison (at the cost of me not having the guide I have fond memories of, regardless of its issues; probably rushed and/or based on an earlier build, if I remember correctly).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-24-2017 at 12:22 AM.