Page 40 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
    I'd just like to take a min. here and thank Vic for always beeing there to answer questions and give us glimps into the world of videogame publishers and all the legal jumbo. I remember fondly the WD forums. I was at that time younger and a massive SEGA fan and WD was the kind of publisher i love despite it beeing bashed sometimes for it's customized translations that i loved. IT's what got me started doing fan translations of snes rpgs(even though I can see now that it can sometime break the commercial value of bringing certain games over afterwards), but that's what got me working with StoveTop from J2E and all those ppl. So thanks, it was fun years and i'm happy to see you try it again with Gaijinworks.
    Thanks for being a longtime fan!

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Really good advice here, I started by taking apart old misc stuff too. The hard advice for me to give is whether to get a basic cheap iron (not gun, don't use a soldering gun) to start with, or get something better. I've got a Hakko knock-off that has served me pretty well and has replaceable tips.
    I have a Hakko knock-off that's an outstanding soldering station for $60. It's cheap considering what you can fix with it. I would never fix a Turbo Express or anything else with a cheap Radio Shack iron. That's just asking for damage.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digi...3683798&sr=8-5

I think that, bare minimum, you should have something that is adjustable and can use good quality tips of various types.

So I have reached a bit of a milestone here! I was originally going to post this in the Collector's Cove, but figured it might be better suited here.

After several years of collecting the Arc the Lad Watches for quite awhile, I recently got my hands on the final one I needed for a complete collection. These were a bonus given out if you preordered Arc the Lad Collection for the PS1, and in total there were 14 different watches made. Vic has shown a picture of the complete set he has in his office a couple times as well.

For now I present the last one I needed, the Anrietta Pocket Watch:

From my experience, I think this is probably the rarest one made. I would guess it has the same number or less made than the Choko watch, but it makes sense that the hidden characters from the game would be the hardest watches to find. So far I haven't heard of anyone else (besides Vic) having a complete set, which makes me pretty happy to think I may be the only non-Working Designs or press person that has managed to track them all down in the wild.

Nice work and dedication to put a whole set together.

That's awesome. Were you able to get them all individually or did you have to get duplicates of the game as well? That's my main problem with it, besides the insanely rare ones being really tough to track down.

On the topic of Arc... While I have liked basically everything I've played from WD and it's hard to rank them in an order the Arc Collection is so great and would probably be top 5 counting it all as one entity. Basically all the PS1 releases were phenomenal. SCD and Saturn both had one weak link (Vay and Albert Odyssey respectively).
    Last edited by Gypsy; 03-26-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Nice. I still only have one of these watches. My friend (who worked at the video game store where I purchased the game) actually wrote all over the white cardboard cover and drew a cartoon on it.

Long story...

Yeah I only have one as well (Gogen). Looked on ebay just now and :'( a bit. I'm guessing if I put in a daily search thing (not sure what exactly it's called I have them set up for a few things) I could snag a deal. Probably best off getting it with a game.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Yeah, I started out slow with only a couple for a long time. Then once I got on the WD variant party train I started putting a daily reminder on ebay for new items matching it and I managed to find a couple more loose for sale that I didn't have. Once I decided to fully focus on getting them all it was a lot of patience.

I was at 13/14 for a long time after grabbing a Choko watch a year or two back, and since then I've been waiting (hoping) Anrietta would show up some day. This one just showed up and even though it was an auction I sent the seller an outright offer for it and he took it. I was on pins and needles waiting for it to show up until today.

I did wind up buying the game many times since often folks would sell the game bundled with the watch. I currently have 5 fully complete copies of the game, at one point I had like 7 or 8. I'm keeping 3 of them for variant purposes (memory card boxes and disc colors), but have been slowly getting rid of them. The interesting thing about the watch, is when sold with the game it only seemed to add marginal value. A lot of times I sold the game and got the watch for free or very cheap when all is said and done.

i did wind up buying the game many times since often folks would sell the game bundled with the watch. i currently have 5 fully complete copies of the game, at one point i had like 7 or 8. i'm keeping 3 of them for variant purposes (memory card boxes and disc colors), but have been slowly getting rid of them. The interesting thing about the watch, is when sold with the game it only seemed to add marginal value. A lot of times i sold the game and got the watch for free or very cheap when all is said and done.

RESELLERr!!!!111111

(Edit - This forum actually strips words containing all caps. Interesting.)

So I have reached a bit of a milestone here! I was originally going to post this in the Collector's Cove, but figured it might be better suited here.

After several years of collecting the Arc the Lad Watches for quite awhile, I recently got my hands on the final one I needed for a complete collection. These were a bonus given out if you preordered Arc the Lad Collection for the PS1, and in total there were 14 different watches made. Vic has shown a picture of the complete set he has in his office a couple times as well.

For now I present the last one I needed, the Anrietta Pocket Watch:

From my experience, I think this is probably the rarest one made. I would guess it has the same number or less made than the Choko watch, but it makes sense that the hidden characters from the game would be the hardest watches to find. So far I haven't heard of anyone else (besides Vic) having a complete set, which makes me pretty happy to think I may be the only non-Working Designs or press person that has managed to track them all down in the wild.
    Very Nice, congrats on your collection! :P