Page 54 of 193 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Yeah I know it was only in Japan, I just didn't it existed on that platform until recently. The Saturn versions are Japan only too.
    I want to say there is also a Korean release of the PC version game, but I think it is really really really rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    So, did anyone ever find the Dark Scimitar in Lunar 2?
    The closest thing was somebody discovered a super sekrit Borgan bromide in Lunar2 EBC where he's supposedly holding the dark scimitar. I'm flattered my post was referenced, but I don't think I did the fiasco any justice. The group who demanded to know where it was in-game got really angry!

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    What part? If it's the last part, then...

I wouldn't say I regretted bringing it over because it has some good points (notably some of the music), but it didn't work out the way I had hoped. When we licensed it, I didn't know that Kubooka-san didn't like the work he had done on the game. I had planned on seeing if I could get Kubooka to do some additional work for it, but when I (later) found out he didn't like it, that kind of put the brakes on that plan. And Grandia wasn't a choice at the time. It wasn't like door #1 was Albert Odyssey and door #2 was Grandia and I took door #1. Plus, that game got me in with Sunsoft and that connection is still carrying on today, so it may pay off in additional ways, still.
    It was one of those games that had a lot going for it in the audio/visual department but sadly wasted a lot of that potential on a paint by numbers RPG. You guys did your best to give it some life but I felt it didn't have a whole lot of charm beyond its appearance.

I still say that the print ad was better than the game itself. I'm a sucker for that Drew Struzan style and it's hard to describe in retrospect but when you're flipping through a game magazine in the 1990s and see something like this on one of the pages, it seriously makes an impression. You want to know what's inside. A lot of ads and game covers today are so utilitarian. There's no magic anymore. And I don't know what happened in Japan but most anime in particular looks super uninspired now.

But the Saturn is interesting to me because of how much of a catch-22 it was. There were a lot of good games out there but it was almost a waste to put effort into it when the much more lucrative PlayStation was available. Especially since a lot of games were cross platform. Although that brings up a question, too. I don't know first hand, but I've heard the Saturn versions of both Lunars and Silhouette Mirage were significantly better than the PlayStation ports. Is there any truth to this? And would you have preferred to work on the Saturn versions of these games instead had it been an option?

It was NOT a coincidence that PlayStation took off when Bernie was out of Sony. Many of his idiotic policies (no jRPGs) were the very things holding the platform and the great employees under him back. It was seriously a "ding dong the witch is dead" moment when he was out, and Sony dealt SEGA a mortal wound by gifting him to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    This one in particular just seems beyond idiotic to me. At the time gaming as a whole was still relatively niche so why block a genre that proved to be very successful.
    Was it really just jRPGs? I thought it was mostly a 2D/3D thing. I recall a rumor about Capcom having trouble over Mega Man X4 and the only reason they got it approved was by out gambitting Sony after threatening to withhold Resident Evil. There were still a bunch of RPGs coming out, some of which weren't even all that good (Beyond the Beyond, Kartia, Saga Frontier), which gives me the impression that it was super political where the "policy" was more of a VIP club where either you had an "in" or you were SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I think that it could be said that no SEGA system has ever really taken off in Japan. The Saturn was stable, but that's even pushing it. Between the Famicom(s) and PCE domination, SEGA was always in third place in Japan. The Genesis was a success in the west due to its massive third party library, but the Saturn never really had the game library to compete, and it certainly couldn't compete on price.
    The truth is that Sega was primarily an arcade game operation that once got lucky in the 90s. A lot of people forget that the Genesis is a full two years older than the Super Nintendo and its early marketing was completely different. At first, Sega promoted the Genesis in a way similar to how SNK would eventually advertise the Neo Geo, as a means of finally playing your favorite arcade games at home. Altered Beast and Golden Axe were the flagship titles. And while that was pretty great, this was 1989. The NES was a demigod at the time and most people were content. The Genesis didn't take off until Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat, when Sega pulled a Pepsi and picked a fight with the Super Nintendo. That, combined with the Genesis's far superior sports games as well as a healthy dose of cross platform support from third parties, allowed it to fill a niche that Nintendo couldn't or wouldn't touch. But it was all a stroke of good fortune. Sega was in the right place at the right time and fell ass backwards into the right market for a few years. But by 1997 the honeymoon was over and the 90s kids outgrew the antagonistic "console wars" attitude Sega started, leaving it to sink from all the constant mismanagement that existed years before but was kept at bay for a while due to the aforementioned stroke of luck that had run out by then.

Working Designs was in an unusual (some would say unenviable) position because as good as the games were, it was like bucketing out a boat with a hole in the bottom. Most people were ready to abandon ship for the PlayStation and I don't think any one person/event could be held completely responsible. Could the Saturn have been more successful had Sega not been ridiculous? Well, sure, but at that point you're operating in a fantasy land since a non-ridiculous Sega wouldn't be Sega at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Was it really just jRPGs? I thought it was mostly a 2D/3D thing. I recall a rumor about Capcom having trouble over Mega Man X4 and the only reason they got it approved was by out gambitting Sony after threatening to withhold Resident Evil. There were still a bunch of RPGs coming out, some of which weren't even all that good (Beyond the Beyond, Kartia, Saga Frontier), which gives me the impression that it was super political where the "policy" was more of a VIP club where either you had an "in" or you were SOL.
    It wasn't JUST the jRPG ban, but that was a HUGE part of it for us because that's the kind of game we did. And the fact that FF7 pretty much blew up the PlayStation platform shows how wrong he was.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    The closest thing was somebody discovered a super sekrit Borgan bromide in Lunar2 EBC where he's supposedly holding the dark scimitar. I'm flattered my post was referenced, but I don't think I did the fiasco any justice. The group who demanded to know where it was in-game got really angry!
    You remembered details of the whole thing the best. It was like reading about someone else since I forgot so much of it. Very entertaining.

It wasn't JUST the jRPG ban, but that was a HUGE part of it for us because that's the kind of game we did. And the fact that FF7 pretty much blew up the PlayStation platform shows how wrong he was.
    Stolar screwed up horribly not once but twice when he moved to Sega which caused you and the rest of WD to try Sony again which is a disappointment considering all the dreamcast games WD could have brought to NA

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    Stolar screwed up horribly not once but twice when he moved to Sega which caused you and the rest of WD to try Sony again which is a disappointment considering all the dreamcast games WD could have brought to NA
    It's even more disappointing when you take into consideration that if SEGA would have had stable US Saturn numbers it's possible that SEGA wouldn't have left the home console market.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    It's even more disappointing when you take into consideration that if SEGA would have had stable US Saturn numbers it's possible that SEGA wouldn't have left the home console market.
    Given that their champion in Japan that kept the company afloat in ever-increasing cash loans (actually more like donations) had died, it's still pretty unlikely they would have stayed in it. All hope died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    I doubt it, given Sega's lack of interest in bringing their better games to NA, if they had stayed in the console race they'd probaly have gone bankrupt years ago competeing with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony's consoles

TempestOne
    I always thought Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean was glossed over by WD's best fans and compatriots alike, and I never understood how-or-why, because as RPg enthusiasts, we all have a knack of making more of a game than what it* stands for on it's own.....kind of, like, how fans and consumers are likened by one sprite and its there God-fearing duty to, ''Make magic of this videogame,'' or else!!!!! I am playing Albert Odyssey now, and while I did sneak the CD in, onto my desktop for a quick check of viruses, I don't know, I feel it is also considered a music CD, ...and having a soundtrack totally denotes more to its value. It's the one older-Working Designs videogame title that I'm, ''Working,'' on r-right now just sanding off the edges or dusting off specks in, my own personal streamline, errh, timeline? I'd love to hear more on its folklore, if theres anything left of its sap, to sop up---a newer fanboy.
    tempestone
    Last edited by TempestOne; 07-29-2014 at 11:49 PM.