Page 57 of 193 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Outside of the two major From series (KF and AC) they really scraped the bottom of the barrel when it came to PS1/2 games. Some of the stuff they released...you really just have to see/play it to believe it tbqh. I'm sure they were making money but yeah...

Here is their page on gamefaqs for anyone curious: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/com...591-agetec-inc

Side note: Some of their releases are pretty damn htf now. Nothing is too expensive because most of them are so bad but I will laugh if some end up becoming highly collectible due to rarity later on.
    Maybe they were nearly almost just another casualty of the niche game like WD was. During the PS2 era, Atlus grew pretty large and XSeed sprang up out of nowhere, bringing over a lot of games. It doesn't hurt that those two have pretty big Japanese parent companies. Likewise, we have NISA, though smaller. Then we get Aksys and others, like Ignition (for a while). There are still plenty of cool games that don't get localized but I can see that at least a few of these other publishers are encroaching on territory that used to go to companies like WD and Agetec.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 08-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.

IFI too, even if they are still just starting out at this point. I honestly don't think there are even enough good games to bring over for this many companies and we can kind of see that with some of the games being brought over lately. Still, someone will buy them and I think as long as it is sustainable it's a good thing for gamers.

Seems like they only do digital now, which makes sense given what they bring over.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I've got Rising Zan just out of arm's reach right now.

I always liked Agetec. Sad to see them a shell of their former self but it's good to see them not completely down yet. I've got a ton of their games and always appreciated their quirky output.

IFI too, even if they are still just starting out at this point. I honestly don't think there are even enough good games to bring over for this many companies and we can kind of see that with some of the games being brought over lately. Still, someone will buy them and I think as long as it is sustainable it's a good thing for gamers.

Seems like they only do digital now, which makes sense given what they bring over.
    They're enough, but complicated licenses and stingy publishers prevent games from being localized. It is improving however, I'm amazed at how the ultra-niche VN market is exploding on steam O.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    I've got Rising Zan just out of arm's reach right now.

I always liked Agetec. Sad to see them a shell of their former self but it's good to see them not completely down yet. I've got a ton of their games and always appreciated their quirky output.
    ASCII/Agetec brought over a few interesting titles. I bought the PS1 RPG Maker they localized and played with it some. Didn't get much of a game off the ground, but I have RPG Maker VX Ace now and still haven't done much with it.

TempestOne
    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    Not sure if this was posted in this thread elsewhere, but I thought this interview with Victor from way back when was pretty interesting:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/qan.../1100-6141225/

It's a shame we never got Goemon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C5%8D...tsugeki_Goemon) here, but I'm sure some of the future licenses from Gaijinworks will be interesting to follow. Funny to see companies like Agetec mentioned in the interview since I don't think they're around any more either. The 360 certainly wasn't the place for JRPGs in hindsight, though - it seems we really have seen an overall decrease in JRPGs and other types of Japanese games since the PSX era however.
    Goemon world's characters are kewl.
    Outside of the two major From series (KF and AC) they really scraped the bottom of the barrel when it came to PS1/2 games. Some of the stuff they released...you really just have to see/play it to believe it tbqh. I'm sure they were making money but yeah...

Here is their page on gamefaqs for anyone curious: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/com...591-agetec-inc

Side note: Some of their releases are pretty damn htf now. Nothing is too expensive because most of them are so bad but I will laugh if some end up becoming highly collectible due to rarity later on.
    Agetec's PoPoLoCRoIs seemed interestin I'd always stare at the box all the time thinking whether to get it.

The problem with Popolocrois is that it was two games stitched together as one, and by the time I was done the first one I was done completely. I never did get around to playing the second half. Utterly adorable RPG, but it didn't have the depth necessary to sustain its length.

Spoiler: 
    That's what she said.

TempestOne
    I always thought the interesting thing about PoPoLoCrOiS was the name itself; It always just grabbed my attention like "pick me up and grab me" lol.

Whew, I'm here to BUMP this thread, you all. Always around this time of year, I always somewhat wind up picking up some WD gems to play, and now that I've got a few games under my belt that I've always wanted to play (ie. Alundra, original Lunars, Albert's Odyssey) I was wondering if there were any takes on which is a good game to start off a nice marathon of just smashing through agains.

God, I played through Lunar 1 & 2 on the Sega CD last year, and I've totally deemed them to be in their own category... maybe I'll give it another year before I play through them again just to experience the story... I've picked up Lunar SSS and Lunar EB so many times though, and I seem to play through them each year, or at least tried to, given just my schedule at the time. Been getting a feeling to go through an awesome text adventure today, so I'm likely going to just bust in the demo for SSS. I cracked up so much just from wandering down the cliff to the point where Ramus joins the party...I never forget how awesome Lunar is. I doubt I'm the only one that get these inklings, though!

Semi-related, but there was an Assassin's case up for sale recently. Supposedly it was the contest winners, but had an opening bid of $4200 and no takers.

TempestOne
    Whoa, the Assassin's case for EG still has an air of mystery towards me, and I've always wanted to play Elemental Gearbolt, anyway. I dunno why I like WD's games so much other than I have tons of fun times while playing them! ^_^ Some day when I have tons of money, I'll try to bid on one... like, everyone's dream, haha.