Page 66 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Come on guys. Both games are far better than just about any other last gen traditional RPG.

But that isn't saying much.

Don't be hating on Gotanda for silly localization efforts.
    I survived last gen on Portables, see what I mean? :P

Like umm, I'd never compare the works of Falcom & IE's(early!) efforts to this garbage but yeah it was a different side of video gaming. Hell even SE's efforts were just plain better on portables than their console counterparts. I do plan to get SO4 on the PS3 at some point but yeah not expecting much from it outside of some fun colorful turn based battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    360 has plenty of good games Aristides. :P
    It does, but is it really worth buying if I don't care about multiplatform games? (in my case being that I had PS3 and will have one again at some point) If I ever own one I'd just get it for the shmups, probably a Japanese model.

Edit:
    Zborg may be right, the future of good rpgs for older gamers may in fact be kickstarter.
    Yup, he may be onto something there.
    Last edited by Aristides; 06-01-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickRPG View Post
    You know what, I'd take games on 360 like Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, and Lost Odyssey. It's too bad they aren't making them. At least Star Ocean is coming but I'd take those other games over nothing.
    Zborg may be right, the future of good rpgs for older gamers may in fact be kickstarter.
    Lost Odyssey is in an entirely different category than the other two (I loved that game) but I did think that the other two were still great in spite of mixed reviews. Really hoping that Mistwalker has something new planned but it's hard to tell since they've been working mostly on cellphone games lately. I did play a bit of Terra Battle, and it was decent, but just not what I'm into.

Going to be devastated if we find out that Star Ocean 4 is another F2P game with pay content. Surely someone can make a real console RPG still, right? Maybe S-E is doing it just because they need *something* to put on PS4 and it was already in development for PS3. Wasn't fair when Tri-Ace teased us with that tech demo a few years ago and nothing ever came of it; Until now. Maybe they shelved development until the new consoles launched to see what direction they would take, so Tri-Ace worked on the FF 13 games for a while to pay the bills. It could very well be another game that we don't ever see, like the last few Konami and SEGA games that they worked on.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    I survived last gen on Portables, see what I mean? :P

Like umm, I'd never compare the works of Falcom & IE's(early!) efforts to this garbage but yeah it was a different side of video gaming. Hell even SE's efforts were just plain better on portables than their console counterparts. I do plan to get SO4 on the PS3 at some point but yeah not expecting much from it outside of some fun colorful turn based battles.

It does, but is it really worth buying if I don't care about multiplatform games? (in my case being that I had PS3 and will have one again at some point) If I ever own one I'd just get it for the shmups, probably a Japanese model.
    I really don't feel that it is fair to call them garbage unless you've played them. Popular opinion says that they are, but I suspect that a lot of it came from PS3 fanboys that never even played the games. They were very solid titles in spite of their problems, and I really enjoyed playing them and wouldn't mind playing them a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I really don't feel that it is fair to call them garbage unless you've played them. Popular opinion says that they are, but I suspect that a lot of it came from PS3 fanboys that never even played the games. They were very solid titles in spite of their problems, and I really enjoyed playing them and wouldn't mind playing them a second time.
    ok ok, I was too harsh with my criticism XP I did get to play SO4 on the 360 a bit and I liked the battles and what I remember of the maps but yeah at the time I wasn't expecting the campy dialogue lol.

Is all of Infinite Undiscovery like that? I like Tri Ace but I'll remove that from my backlog/sell it.

@Aristides: Considering you can get one for $50 or less w/o much trouble I'd say yeah it's worth it. Especially since you like shooters and there are a fair number that will just play on an unmodded US system.

@Zborg: No kidding, that would be awful news. Let's hope it is a real game. And I assume you mean Star Ocean 5.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    I just Youtubed both @_@ I'm so happy I skipped the 360... my faith in games might have been ruined not that it's better elsewhere but wow I haven't seen such capitalistic animations since garage indie kickstarters lol. Star Ocean Lymle's nappy time video was.... creepy beyond words, the voice the doll like mesh, my god what the hell did I just see!
    Oh my god. To go from Valkyrie Profile 2/Covenant Plume to this garbage is ridiculous. I think I'm going to make it a set rule not to buy any game with kid's as a main character. I avoided them before but I just can't handle this stuff.

Hard to find JRPGs without a kid as the mc. I guess it depends on your cut-off. Most characters are teens at the oldest.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Hard to find JRPGs without a kid as the mc. I guess it depends on your cut-off. Most characters are teens at the oldest.
    Yeah for sure. I can see myself passing on lots of games because of it. I think I'm going to go through my collection and clear out some games when I get back. Though it is less of a problem for Dungeon Crawlers - I don't like the art but I loved Etrian Odyssey IV. I didn't have to put up with any dinner dances or nap times in that game though.

Quote Originally Posted by ErickRPG View Post
    You know what, I'd take games on 360 like Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, and Lost Odyssey. It's too bad they aren't making them. At least Star Ocean is coming but I'd take those other games over nothing.
    A big problem is the "traditional" in "traditional RPG." It's probably really hard to make one these days without making it just feel generally old. Video games are, more than any other medium, a product of their time. And a lot of elements in games from a certain era don't necessarily age well as the surrounding elements evolve. It's why I think Final Fantasy III on the DS was weird. You wind with a game that looks ostensibly modern but plays like it's much older than it should be, pulling a lot of shenanigans that rightfully died out on the NES. It's like some George Lucas special edition nonsense where one thing feels 2006 and something right next to it feels 1990. And the clash between the two is super jarring making the experience worse than either A) playing a entirely brand new game or B) just playing the old one where everything matches.

RPGs did a bunch of stuff back in the day that was a matter of necessity. Random battles aren't exactly something people look for in their games anymore. Hell, we barely enjoyed them at the time. It was just something you put up with because that was the accepted standard. Even right down to story and writing style, a lot of 16 and 32 bit RPGs are really, in retrospect, not all that brilliantly written. Some even are downright silly and got by on the fact that at the time games just generally weren't doing the story thing so anything that was more thought provoking than "get the triangles from the pig monster" was considered "inventive." And we're kind of past the point where we're still engrossed by the sudden party member betrayal, the villain trying to become a god, or the ultimate sword that requires some hours long side quest to obtain. I don't want to say they can't work anymore but they need to grow. I have a sneaking suspicion that this factor is part of the reason Silver Star Harmony was not well received. Old players are happy with the old games. New players aren't interested in a new game that, by today's standards, is a total cliché storm.