Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Vasteel has proprietary compression for speech. No luck on that one (I tried a long time ago).
    It's just some flavor of ADPCM. Nothing special, as I recall.

But if you just get the audio, you're missing most of the gag. The funny thing about that one is it's an actual cutscene with characters saying the crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I thought I would provide a look back at a bunch of magazine spreads. A little history lesson, I guess.
    Thanks for all these scans!
    Man, why do I still get so excited as the first day looking at those screenshots of Lunar, even though I've played the games many times already?

No problem. I really wish I had more. What's great about print mags is that they offer a glimpse into the spirit of the era beyond just the game itself. IGN will get updated periodically. Magazines are what they are.

No problem. I really wish I had more. What's great about print mags is that they offer a glimpse into the spirit of the era beyond just the game itself. IGN will get updated periodically. Magazines are what they are.
    Our Zeitgeist ♥

PS2 is a very hard system for me. My feelings toward that system and library changed about halfway through its life. I still have a relatively negative view towards the system today, even though I loved it early on. That being said, I still need several games for it, the worst being .hack Quarantine, but I also need the shadow Hearts games and the Wild Arms games, as well as the SMT/Persona games.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

The PS2 royally pissed me off just on the grounds that it stopped working right after about a year. I remember my frustration upon realizing Growlanser Generations was on two blue bottom CDs since those were the toughest for me to get working.

Speaking of which, if Victor has any insight, what was the benefit of using CDs by then? Was the cost really that much better over DVD? And in the case of Growlanser specifically, was two CDs a better option than compiling them on a single DVD?

The PS2 royally pissed me off just on the grounds that it stopped working right after about a year. I remember my frustration upon realizing Growlanser Generations was on two blue bottom CDs since those were the toughest for me to get working.

Speaking of which, if Victor has any insight, what was the benefit of using CDs by then? Was the cost really that much better over DVD? And in the case of Growlanser specifically, was two CDs a better option than compiling them on a single DVD?
    We were so far into the weeds by then it wasn't really an option to get the approvals to combine the two games into one DVD with a bootloader, plus the extra testing that would involve. We just needed to get the games out after literally years of delays and haggling with Sony over stupid things that did not improve the gameplay experience one bit. Fortunately, those people are gone now and Sony has actual gamers that understand gamers running the show again. It's no surprise to me at all that they're on top again. You have to have people that understand the market, and for too long, they lost that. It's back now, in spades, though.

Well Vic, as someone who strongly enjoyed those two Growlanser games thank you for pushing them through.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Well Vic, as someone who strongly enjoyed those two Growlanser games thank you for pushing them through.
    Thanks. I wish we could have done the 1st and 4th, but at least Atlus kind of got the 4th out. Shame they won't relicense Generations for PSN to us.

Ha, I can hardly imagine how much better a job you would have done with the translation for Wayfarer in time.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.