Page 73 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    (superior?) versions of the Lunars and Silhouette Mirage.
    Actually, Saturn and Japanese PS1 Silhouette Mirage animation scenes were visibly inferior to the ones we did on PS1 for the US. Someone forgot to re-encode the source video for the Japanese PS1 version, so it is re-compressed Cinepak video from the Saturn version. Ugly on top of ugly. I saw that in the Japanese retail version and knew what had happened so we asked for the original uncompressed source video and re-did it ourselves. Stick the Japanese and US PS1 versions side by side and let the opening animation play. It's obvious.

I'm told Silver Star Story is only better than Silver Star Story Complete when it comes to the sound department.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    I'm told Silver Star Story is only better than Silver Star Story Complete when it comes to the sound department.
    FIERCE arguments will be made by the SCD supporters on this site. Hopefully this doesn't get rehashed again.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I'm talking about Sega Saturn vs. Playstation

That's a lot harder of a choice to make when you pit Sega CD against the SS/PSX ones. There are gems on both sides.

I've also heard that the Saturn Lunars had some visual effects that were cut from the PS port but not being able to find a side by side comparison leaves me unable to confirm. (There is one for Grandia on YouTube, however.).

Also, I would imagine the Saturn's Silver Star Story Complete (the MPEG version) has the highest quality FMVs. Now that version would have been nice to see WD do had, once again, the Saturn not been the fiasco it was.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I've also heard that the Saturn Lunars had some visual effects that were cut from the PS port but not being able to find a side by side comparison leaves me unable to confirm. (There is one for Grandia on YouTube, however.).
    I recall clouds moving, water bubbling and a few other things in the Saturn version that were not in the Playstation version, but I haven't done a side by side comparison.

Also, I would imagine the Saturn's Silver Star Story Complete (the MPEG version) has the highest quality FMVs. Now that version would have been nice to see WD do had, once again, the Saturn not been the fiasco it was.
    The video quality on the PC version (Japanese or Korean) is considerably better quality than the Saturn MPEG version.

I hope the way the river flows in Meryod looks better on Saturn. The moving clouds in the overworld are in the Playstation version, though. Also isn't the PC version supposed to be incredibly buggy?

I hope the way the river flows in Meryod looks better on Saturn. The moving clouds in the overworld are in the Playstation version, though. Also isn't the PC version supposed to be incredibly buggy?
    Maybe it was the shadows to the clouds or something that was missing?

The PC version doesn't run terribly well in English Windows. I don't own the Korean version.

From my understanding WD had a lot of problems with the PC versions compatibility which is why it didn't wind up getting published here, but I'm sure Vic could elaborate on that far better than I can based on what I remember hearing.

I'm surprised a PC version was even considered since console games and PC games were so different from each other then.

I'm surprised a PC version was even considered since console games and PC games were so different from each other then.
    It came out in Japan around 99, my guess is since the assets were already there it wouldn't have been too hard to have some third party assemble a PC port from the Saturn and Playstation versions. Especially since by then Playstation PC emulation existed with Bleem from what I recall. So just taking the existing code from the Playstation port, updating the character models/sprites in a few places and putting in the higher res cutscenes wouldn't have been that much of an investment by Game Arts and Kadokawa.