Page 74 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the PC port is just the PlayStation version with higher resolution. It's extremely unlikely that they used the Saturn version as a base.

Just wanted to say that I love this thread. Tons of interesting trivia & facts about Working Designs. Loved hearing the sales info too (with Lunar PS1, Lunar: EB PS1, and Alundra being the best selling games).

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that the PC port is just the PlayStation version with higher resolution. It's extremely unlikely that they used the Saturn version as a base.
    The Saturn version was used as the Playstation versions base, at least the core assets were copied from one to another. But yeah, for the most part it's just a higher res port of the Playstation version. I recall a few sprites here and there had been redrawn. I do own the Japanese PC version but would need to dig out an old Windows 98 laptop I have to actually run it again as I don't think it plays nicely with Windows 7.

You could just emulate Windows 98.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    You could just emulate Windows 98.
    Well, I know I have that laptop boxed up somewhere so I can dig it out eventually. From what I remember even if you have Japanese fonts installed the text shows up as jibberish under an English Windows 98 install too. But I managed to make it a little ways into the game years back when I picked it up.

I've just now ran across this forum and ate this thread up. Thanks for all of the candid answers, Vic. This was a pleasure to read, even at over 70 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    I've just now ran across this forum and ate this thread up. Thanks for all of the candid answers, Vic. This was a pleasure to read, even at over 70 pages.
    Wow! You deserve a medal or something for reading all that at once! Must be a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    I've just now ran across this forum and ate this thread up.
    Try that with Collector's Cove. =P

This reminds me, so I saw in another thread Vic, you mentioned that the PAL version of Dragon Force uses the WD translation, how did that work exactly. Did you guys just license that out to whoever published over there? Are there other games that use WD translations but are published by other companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    This reminds me, so I saw in another thread Vic, you mentioned that the PAL version of Dragon Force uses the WD translation, how did that work exactly. Did you guys just license that out to whoever published over there? Are there other games that use WD translations but are published by other companies?
    There was a really cool guy at SEGA Europe (He's head of MS Third Party in Europe now) that really knew games that pushed to release our localization of DF in Europe, so we licensed it to them and they released it. That and Alundra (where we licensed our localization to Psygnosis for Europe) are the only LEGIT licenses we did for Europe, although I've heard that SEGA injected all or part of our localization into Shining Wisdom Europe without a license. Dunno if that's true and haven't really had the time or motivation to check it out.