Page 75 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Wow! You deserve a medal or something for reading all that at once! Must be a fan!
    I'm a bit of a fan of your work and the Saturn, so this thread was quite entertaining.

I don't think I've ever interacted with you directly before, Vic, but I used to read your newsgroup postings back in those days.

Thanks. I wish we could have done the 1st and 4th, but at least Atlus kind of got the 4th out. Shame they won't relicense Generations for PSN to us.
    They're the best-localized Growlansers the west got, even if they're not objectively the best games in the series.
    It's a shame that Growlanser V and VI are so awful. Atlus did make a valiant effort with V but there's only so much you can do with a game like that. Had the series not taken a nosedive the older entries might have gotten more love.

It actually seems like a tradition. The same thing happened with Langrisser where you had this great series that either turned to crap or just plain vanished torpedoing any chance of a publisher going back to it.

I wanted to play through V, I really did. At some point I just feel asleep in the middle of the draconian prologues though.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Today I got hold of a copy of Shining Wisdom for the Saturn and I laughed out loud when I saw the message regarding Beyond the Beyond and the "quality" of said title in one of the bookcases in the castle!
    Was that in the Japanese game as well or was it edited by the WD team? As far as I remember Beyond the Beyond was also made by Sonic! Software Planning/Camelot?
    Last edited by gauss1337; 07-08-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Question added

Quote Originally Posted by gauss1337 View Post
    Today I got hold of a copy of Shining Wisdom for the Saturn and I laughed out loud when I saw the message regarding Beyond the Beyond and the "quality" of said title in one of the bookcases in the castle!
    Was that in the Japanese game as well or was it edited by the WD team? As far as I remember Beyond the Beyond was also made by Sonic! Software Planning/Camelot?
    Oh, no, that wasn't in the Japanese version. Doing mostly jRPGs, we were having trouble getting going with Sony (under the reign of Bernie Stolar and crew) around that time and the ridiculousness of the awful BtB getting approved and ONLY that title because of his anti-jRPG edict for PS1 inspired me to inject a little commentary into Shining Wisdom. I did that from time to time with certain other games.

Bernie was a total jerk and pox on both Sony AND SEGA, in my experience. I'll never forget the conference call we had where he essentially extorted like $30k from us. They shipped us a Japanese dev kit that didn't even work properly, and we were withholding payment for it until we got a fully working one, and he said we couldn't ship the game in QA (I think it was Albert Odyssey...) until we paid for the not-working-as-advertised dev kit in full. Total slimeball. It was clear he wanted us gone so he could kill off the Saturn in the US more cleanly, because we were still releasing wanted games.

I did get under his skin with reasoned logic he couldn't refute, though. Someone inside said he was seething when he came out of the office after the conference call. The maddest they'd ever seen. Good. He had no business running a console manufacturer and game publisher of that size. WAY out of his depth, and it showed eventually. I didn't make a friend that day, though, and for that I will be forever...indifferent. He was a jerk.

Oh, no, that wasn't in the Japanese version. Doing mostly jRPGs, we were having trouble getting going with Sony (under the reign of Bernie Stolar and crew) around that time and the ridiculousness of the awful BtB getting approved and ONLY that title because of his anti-jRPG edict for PS1 inspired me to inject a little commentary into Shining Wisdom. I did that from time to time with certain other games.

Bernie was a total jerk and pox on both Sony AND SEGA, in my experience. I'll never forget the conference call we had where he essentially extorted like $30k from us. They shipped us a Japanese dev kit that didn't even work properly, and we were withholding payment for it until we got a fully working one, and he said we couldn't ship the game in QA (I think it was Albert Odyssey...) until we paid for the not-working-as-advertised dev kit in full. Total slimeball. It was clear he wanted us gone so he could kill off the Saturn in the US more cleanly, because we were still releasing wanted games.

I did get under his skin with reasoned logic he couldn't refute, though. Someone inside said he was seething when he came out of the office after the conference call. The maddest they'd ever seen. Good. He had no business running a console manufacturer and game publisher of that size. WAY out of his depth, and it showed eventually. I didn't make a friend that day, though, and for that I will be forever...indifferent. He was a jerk.
    I have to wonder just how many nuggets are still undiscovered. I guess I should go back and check all the books and such in Shining Wisdom.

Edit: Just saw you edited more in. These stories fascinate me.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 07-08-2015 at 08:55 PM.

lol why was BtB the only JRPG to slip through the cracks? There were many good ones pre-FF7 as it was (well logic is not a basis for context on these decisions but yeah) .
    Last edited by Aristides; 07-08-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Probably BECAUSE it was bad. To further his own view points. tophatandmonocle.jpg

You post image links at the end, but nothing happens, so it looks like this. polarbearrested.jpg

I know what I'm doing it's a joke because I'm too lazy to upload something at the time.