Page 76 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Another facinating story Vic.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    lol why was BtB the only JRPG to slip through the cracks? There were many good ones pre-FF7 as it was (well logic is not a basis for context on these decisions but yeah) .
    Yeah, I think it was chosen BECAUSE it was bad, so he could say "See? jRPGs have no place on PlayStation in the US market."

Unfortunately for him, the PS1 market was so starved for jRPGs, it still sold a respectable amount.

I don't know what the time frame was with respect to Bernie's tenure at Sony but there were other RPGs in that pre-FFVII period like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Ogre Battle and Wild Arms. My impression from it was that it was pretty random as far as which games got the thumbs up. It sounds like less a flat rule and more like a bunch of backroom politics at play. I remember hearing a rumor that Sony was giving Capcom a hard time over Mega Man X4 so Capcom threatened to make Resident Evil a Saturn exclusive to gain leverage. I don't know if that's true but it sounds plausible. You think those other RPGs got through because of that kind of strong arming?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I don't know what the time frame was with respect to Bernie's tenure at Sony but there were other RPGs in that pre-FFVII period like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Ogre Battle and Wild Arms. My impression from it was that it was pretty random as far as which games got the thumbs up. It sounds like less a flat rule and more like a bunch of backroom politics at play. I remember hearing a rumor that Sony was giving Capcom a hard time over Mega Man X4 so Capcom threatened to make Resident Evil a Saturn exclusive to gain leverage. I don't know if that's true but it sounds plausible. You think those other RPGs got through because of that kind of strong arming?
    That all came after Bernie. During Bernie's rule, it was a flat rule - no jRPGs. I flew to Japan to try to get around it, and no dice. It all went away once he was canned and ended up at SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Probably BECAUSE it was bad. To further his own view points. tophatandmonocle.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Yeah, I think it was chosen BECAUSE it was bad, so he could say "See? jRPGs have no place on PlayStation in the US market."

Unfortunately for him, the PS1 market was so starved for jRPGs, it still sold a respectable amount.
    Bahahahaha. I was just being an idiot but there just may be something to this I see...

That all came after Bernie. During Bernie's rule, it was a flat rule - no jRPGs. I flew to Japan to try to get around it, and no dice. It all went away once he was canned and ended up at SEGA.
    What was the exact time period there?
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Bahahahaha. I was just being an idiot but there just may be something to this I see...

What was the exact time period there?
    Pre US PS1 launch right up until US launch or maybe a little after. Sony got the clue that he was bad news and smartly flipped the script, which led to their roaring PS1 success and one of the best jRPG periods on console ever. SEGA, however, never recovered from his "leadership."

Seems like that was a large part of its success.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Yes Banditwolf. The ps1 imo helped bring JRPGs as close to mainstream as they ever really got. I would tend to agree with Vic, PS1 and PS2 was in fact a golden age for JRPGs in the US.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

LOL Bernie really was like a virus, it's like he was a recipe for failure. It's official, I'm gonna insert in my work space the term "Bernie", when a code or device executes a fatal error and craps out due to a discrepancy or conflicting factor it officially has a "Bernie" that needs to be purged lol.

Pre US PS1 launch right up until US launch or maybe a little after. Sony got the clue that he was bad news and smartly flipped the script, which led to their roaring PS1 success and one of the best jRPG periods on console ever. SEGA, however, never recovered from his "leadership."
    So that must be like 1994-1995ish? You'd think someone at Sega would say, "hey, maybe we shouldn't hire the guy the competition fired after a year" but, ya know, it was Sega, after all.

I guess what's funny is that I consider the original PlayStation as having had one of the best launch lineups ever. There were a lot of great games available across all genres so it's really strange that an executive would have an axe to grind with one genre in particular, and for no apparent reason. The genre hadn't demonstrated itself a consistent failure at market. I mean, Chrono Trigger came out around that exact same time and moved something like 250,000 units, which by 1995 standards was pretty successful. So it makes me wonder what it was about RPGs specifically that grinded his gears so much. I wonder if maybe it was a power thing? You know, the old "do something arbitrary and when the product is successful for unrelated reasons point to that arbitrary thing as an example of your good work" gambit.

I don't know the guy so I'm not at liberty to rake him over the coals but it just seems like a random thing to single out one genre among dozens. If RPGs had a history of selling like crap then, sure, there would be some logic behind it, but they weren't selling badly as far as I remember. The only RPG from that time frame that I can think of that outright tanked was Earthbound.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-09-2015 at 12:01 AM.