Page 77 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Oh, no, that wasn't in the Japanese version. Doing mostly jRPGs, we were having trouble getting going with Sony (under the reign of Bernie Stolar and crew) around that time and the ridiculousness of the awful BtB getting approved and ONLY that title because of his anti-jRPG edict for PS1 inspired me to inject a little commentary into Shining Wisdom. I did that from time to time with certain other games.

Bernie was a total jerk and pox on both Sony AND SEGA, in my experience. I'll never forget the conference call we had where he essentially extorted like $30k from us. They shipped us a Japanese dev kit that didn't even work properly, and we were withholding payment for it until we got a fully working one, and he said we couldn't ship the game in QA (I think it was Albert Odyssey...) until we paid for the not-working-as-advertised dev kit in full. Total slimeball. It was clear he wanted us gone so he could kill off the Saturn in the US more cleanly, because we were still releasing wanted games.

I did get under his skin with reasoned logic he couldn't refute, though. Someone inside said he was seething when he came out of the office after the conference call. The maddest they'd ever seen. Good. He had no business running a console manufacturer and game publisher of that size. WAY out of his depth, and it showed eventually. I didn't make a friend that day, though, and for that I will be forever...indifferent. He was a jerk.
    Was this before or after the Atlanta E3 booth debacle?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonmasterDan View Post
    Was this before or after the Atlanta E3 booth debacle?
    Definitely before, but it's where the roots of that were, I'm pretty sure.

Was Bernie responsible for the majority of Sega's decisions? It must have been a red flag when the decision not to release the RAM cart (and hand Capcom's lucrative franchises to Sony on a silver platter) was made. It was more than just anti-RPG on the Saturn. That was just deliberate sabotage through and through.

Do you have any idea where Bernie's mind was at the time? What could he have possibly been thinking that would have led him to believe these choices would have turned out well? The Dreamcast was still a ways off so killing the Saturn doesn't seem like it would have served any purpose whatsoever.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Was Bernie responsible for the majority of Sega's decisions? It must have been a red flag when the decision not to release the RAM cart (and hand Capcom's lucrative franchises to Sony on a silver platter) was made. It was more than just anti-RPG on the Saturn. That was just deliberate sabotage through and through.

Do you have any idea where Bernie's mind was at the time? What could he have possibly been thinking that would have led him to believe these choices would have turned out well? The Dreamcast was still a ways off so killing the Saturn doesn't seem like it would have served any purpose whatsoever.
    Pretty sure he just wanted to fast forward to the Dreamcast and get to "his" success. He was too na´ve or dumb to realize that the timeline couldn't be accelerated that fast and he would just end up creating bad blood with retailers then a huge gap in retail presence until the Dreamcast showed up (which he did).

Also, with regard to the RAM cart for Saturn, we were buying them from the SEGA developer store then SELLING them direct for around cost because they were impossible to find at retail (SEGA wasn't selling to them) and RPG fans (especially) wanted them. Bernie found out that we were making them widely available and cut off our access to purchase them in the store to resell to desperate Saturn owners - just to ensure they wouldn't be available anywhere. He really was a bad guy for any kind of console fan to have in their world.

Also, with regard to the RAM cart for Saturn, we were buying them from the SEGA developer store then SELLING them direct for around cost because they were impossible to find at retail (SEGA wasn't selling to them) and RPG fans (especially) wanted them. Bernie found out that we were making them widely available and cut off our access to purchase them in the store to resell to desperate Saturn owners - just to ensure they wouldn't be available anywhere. He really was a bad guy for any kind of console fan to have in their world.
    What in the actual *bleep*? This is almost hard to believe, but you have no reason to lie about it. Crazy.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Crazy stuff.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

actually, I remember this quite well. The reason you/WD started selling them wasn't just because they were impossible to find at retail (both expensive and rare as f00k when the Saturn was NEW), but because all the easy to find 3rd party memory carts were unreliable ultra crap and had major conflicts with Dragon Force. Dragon Force was weird in that it actually utilized the memory cart as you were playing.

edit: The weird thing is I think "Sega" (you know who at) even sent you a cease and desist to stop selling the carts.
    ok, for some reason I remember this being a lot slimier. You say Bernie cut off supplying WD with the carts, but I seem to recall the WD site posting a news article to the contrary basically saying legal threats were also involved.
    Its a pity there's no cached page on the wayback machine :\
    Last edited by sweetsweetfugu; 07-09-2015 at 08:44 PM.

I was more referring to the RAM expansion carts that Capcom and SNK games relied on for arcade perfect ports and the powers that be refused to release outside of Japan, but that story about the backup carts is amazing to me. It sounds like a case of doubling down on a wrong decision just to not have to admit to an error in judgement.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-09-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    actually, I remember this quite well. The reason you/WD started selling them wasn't just because they were impossible to find at retail (both expensive and rare as f00k when the Saturn was NEW), but because all the easy to find 3rd party memory carts were unreliable ultra crap and had major conflicts with Dragon Force. Dragon Force was weird in that it actually utilized the memory cart as you were playing.

The weird thing is I think "Sega" (you know who at) even sent you a cease and desist to stop selling the carts.
    The other problem was/is those third party carts don't have tapered edges so they stretch out the very fragile pins on the Saturn cartridge slot. This causes the system to have more and more trouble actually reading/writing to carts in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I was more referring to the RAM expansion carts that Capcom and SNK games relied on for arcade perfect ports but that story about the backup carts is amazing to me. It sounds like a case of doubling down on a wrong decision just to not have to admit to an error in judgment.
    oh, that's an easy one. Passing on the first expansion RAM was smart since so few games used it.
    by the time the second RAM cart came around, the Saturn was already in the tank ready to get flushed. It would not have failed to impress, but there's no way it would have saved the system in the West.
    I think SFvsX-men got the most play time on my Saturn though. The extra RAM turned that system into a beast.