Page 78 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gauss1337 View Post
    Today I got hold of a copy of Shining Wisdom for the Saturn and I laughed out loud when I saw the message regarding Beyond the Beyond and the "quality" of said title in one of the bookcases in the castle!
    Was that in the Japanese game as well or was it edited by the WD team? As far as I remember Beyond the Beyond was also made by Sonic! Software Planning/Camelot?
    HA! Shining Wisdom is such a forgettable Zelda wannabe, but I'll be damned if I will ever forget your friend or ally or whatever who gets injured at the start of the game spending the entire rest of it in bed having wet dreams about girls from WD's older games

Quote Originally Posted by DragonmasterDan View Post
    The other problem was/is those third party carts don't have tapered edges so they stretch out the very fragile pins on the Saturn cartridge slot. This causes the system to have more and more trouble actually reading/writing to carts in the first place.
    there was more to it though. Brushing the fact that NONE of the 3rd party carts were licensed aside, if I remember correct all the 3rd party carts were reversed engineered garbage that utilized data compression so they could sell themselves as having more space than the official cart. As a result they were plagued with corrupt/lost data issues just like the 3rd party PS cards had.

the funny thing is the available space on the official Sega Saturn cart is -HUGE-
    Last edited by sweetsweetfugu; 07-09-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    edit: The weird thing is I think "Sega" (you know who at) even sent you a cease and desist to stop selling the carts.
    ok, for some reason I remember this being a lot slimier. You say Bernie cut off supplying WD with the carts, but I seem to recall the WD site posting a news article to the contrary basically saying legal threats were also involved.
    Its a pity there's no cached page on the wayback machine :\
    It's all a bit fuzzy, but I know we did have legal threats from the 3rd party cart manufacturers who were taking issue with us calling out their carts as unreliable and actually in many cases destructive to user's data, though I think that was on PS1. We had to hire a lawyer to shut them down with a letter explaining to them that it's not defamation if it's true, and we could prove what we were saying. They went away.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    there was more to it though. Brushing the fact that NONE of the 3rd party carts were licensed aside, if I remember correct all the 3rd party carts were reversed engineered garbage that utilized data compression so they could sell themselves as having more space than the official cart. As a result they were plagued with corrupt/lost data issues just like the 3rd party PS cards had.

the funny thing is the available space on the official Sega Saturn cart is -HUGE-
    Some of them actually had the memory on the cart, some didn't. But none of them had tapered connector edges.

You saw a lot that had their own internal memory manager (similar to the memory card function in an action replay or game shark) that were using that tool to compress and decompress the save file contents.

Dan what cart would you recommend for enabling imports that doesn't damage the pcb?
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Dan what cart would you recommend for enabling imports that doesn't damage the pcb?
    The short answer is I wouldn't recommend a cart for that purpose. It's far more reliable to have a region switch put in the system.

The longer answer is if you buy a cheap Saturn and say an action replay plus and manage to get the cart working. Permanently leave the cartridge in the system. The removal and reinsertion of carts is what wears down the pins in that Saturn cartridge slot, and they're such thin small pins unlike say the pins and the cart slot is sodered into the board and not easily removable unlike say an NES cart slot they can't be bent back into place. Sometimes just getting the cart to read can be a nightmare.

Yeah that's what I've been doing and it works great I was just wondering if there was a good alternative that was cart based for another Saturn I acquired recently. Doesn't sound like there is, thanks for the answer.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I've still never had problems with mine, and I've had it for 15 years.

Edit. Maybe even 20 now that I think about it. My Saturn is an original oval button model.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 07-10-2015 at 12:40 AM.

Vic made some additional related posts about Bernie and the carts back around page 25 of this thread.

I'll also chime in on 3rd party carts damaging units. I've seen a number with busted slots, but like Dan says if that's the route you want to go then in my opinion put it in and never remove it. For flexibility a region switch and mod chip is really nice, the ideal solution is a region free bios plus modchip though, but it's definitely a not trivial process.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.