Page 86 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Those Saturn discs were a special type. I doubt they're even pressing them anymore. And, even if that were possible, SEGA would not allow it. They're so dysfunctional as a company, we can't even get licenses done for a number of games they aren't even going to do themselves. They are sort of incompetently anti-fan and have been for years. I say that because it's too depressing to think they've become that way on purpose, and I've seen glimpses of their organization on the Japanese and US side and it's a mess. So I give them the incompetence pass and keep trying, hoping that changes.
    That was sadly par for the course for Sega during their entire history. Lightning struck once with the Genesis but the antagonism between SOA and SOJ rivals that of outright competitors. I'm not sure Sega and Nintendo even hated each other as much.

no they even came from the same plant as psx discs http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why.../1100-6427016/ sony made them for him they are real psx discs

Last edited by segamegax4; 01-29-2016 at 12:40 AM.

And back to Bernie Stolar...thank him for not getting the Saturn version in the US. It *would* have happened (probably from WD) if he had not been in charge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsItTGAqceE there have been some FIERCE debate on him personally i hate stolar to the grave and beyond and blame him for the death of sega

i thought he left scea in late 96?

Not to get off topic but did Tempest make a new account? Not that I mind, just curious :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Not to get off topic but did Tempest make a new account? Not that I mind, just curious :P
    Not that I'm aware of...

The posting is way different. As if this guy could compare to the mighty tempest that blows through these forums on occasion.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

So I finally read through this entire thread, lol. Took me a couple of hours, but I had been stalling it for months and months.

Mind... blown... over:

- all the Bernie Stolar stories. The extorsion conference call over a non-functioning dev-kit. The E3 booth incident. Reading through this thread you get the impression that he was hired to save the Saturn, but if you read this Gamasutra interview it's pretty clear he had no such intention from the get-go. I'm assuming it was all just SEGA PR. As Vic suggested, taking all the credits for launching the Dreamcast was pretty much all Stolar was ever after. The Saturn had set too much bad blood with gamers and retail in his reasoning, so they had to change attitudes (again, in his reasoning) which apparently was only possible with a new console. Sounds like he was probably overselling the DC to retail as well, which is why he absolutely wanted to get that modem in.
    Other than that he sounds like your typical career manager: big ego; gets hired for a project; blow it up, because the bigger the project, the bigger his bonus; reel in the bonus; leave the company.

- the transition of WD to a gaming publisher. I guess back in the days it was still possible to do the kind of stuff Vic did, basically harassing Game Arts until they wanted to listen to him. Now you'd probably end up in jail for that or something. But that kind of pioneering stuff is amazing.

- "sucking Deak" (which I heard in the ANN podcast, that was linked to in the thread.) Also Vic's enthusiasm over Kickstarter in that podcast...
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Not that I'm aware of...
    He posted twice last week, right about the same time as a few new people showed up. ;P

Hi Tempest! Welcome back.