Page 95 of 193 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #941
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJS82 View Post
    The world's supply of Vectrex' has somehow ended up in Portland. I bought mine from a thrift store for a couple bucks and there are at least 3 of them at every retro game show we have. They're EVERYWHERE around here.
    Oregon or Maine?

  2. #942
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJS82 View Post
    The world's supply of Vectrex' has somehow ended up in Portland. I bought mine from a thrift store for a couple bucks and there are at least 3 of them at every retro game show we have. They're EVERYWHERE around here.
    Hipsters. Explains it all.

  3. #943
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Hipsters. Explains it all.
    What the hell IS a hipster? Dr. Evil calls Austin Powers one. "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster!"

    My understanding of hipster was someone older that's still concerned with teens and early 20's people considering him/her to be cool. Like a father pretending to enjoy his son's taste in music.

  4. #944
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJS82 View Post
    The world's supply of Vectrex' has somehow ended up in Portland. I bought mine from a thrift store for a couple bucks and there are at least 3 of them at every retro game show we have. They're EVERYWHERE around here.
    Guess I know where to shop :3 It's gonna be hell to ship it back to my patch of land though XP.

    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    They just don't ship very well. I've heard of stories of problems when people buy them off of Ebay.
    Ah... yeah that would suck to order one just receive a broken unit due to crappy transit.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Oregon or Maine?
    Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Hipsters. Explains it all.
    Oh wow... lol I've never been to Portland so I thought it was home of retro gaming... but then again Retro gaming has been synonymous with Hipster infection for a while now....

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    What the hell IS a hipster? Dr. Evil calls Austin Powers one. "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster!"

    My understanding of hipster was someone older that's still concerned with teens and early 20's people considering him/her to be cool. Like a father pretending to enjoy his son's taste in music.
    Anti Mainstream, someone who likes stuff for the sake of being different or self defined. "I'm 16 years old and I play NES, no one showed it to me, it's just my natural flow Yo. Just got Little Samson for 1k, sawagger for days!" <-- Hipster. Often comes off as "kids" trying to be cool, and since they have so much God damned money on their hands and only serve to inflate ebay prices screwing real collectors and making local Retro stores in college towns wealthy with their marked up prices. :P
    Last edited by Aristides; 07-26-2015 at 02:23 AM.

  5. #945
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Oregon or Maine?
    Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    What the hell IS a hipster?
    You my friend are the luckiest person in the world. I wish I could go back to a time when I didn't know.
    You know the show Portlandia? Those aren't comedic stereotypes, it's a documentary. We have 2 separate old timey barbershops within 2 blocks of each other just in case you need to get your beard waxed or your chops done and your fixie is busted so you can't go too far.

    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I've never seen one in the wild! If you found one for a couple bucks, that's just amazing!
    To be fair I did buy out the store. The vectrex just amounted to a couple bucks after I averaged it all out.

  6. #946
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,430
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    They just don't ship very well. I've heard of stories of problems when people buy them off of Ebay.
    Yeah, I purchased one several years ago for $80 shipped with a couple games and was so happy. Only to discover it has broken during transit and I needed to return it.

    Earlier this year though a friend of mine was liquidating a lot of stuff and sold me his complete in box unit plus a handful of CIB games and a couple loosies for an amazing price so I finally have one in the library. I do worry about the durability of it in the long term but just gotta enjoy stuff while you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  7. #947
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    What the hell IS a hipster? Dr. Evil calls Austin Powers one. "There's nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster!"

    My understanding of hipster was someone older that's still concerned with teens and early 20's people considering him/her to be cool. Like a father pretending to enjoy his son's taste in music.
    You know that show RetroLiberty? The hipsters are buying up all of the retro games.



    And, yeah, they have a yearly PRGE episode. They probably bought a few games form JJJJJS.

    If you think I'm being a hater and just making silly accusations about sterotypes, he features a few episodes from a self-proclaimed "Hipster Mermaid", one of which she reviews Capcom's Little Mermaid (actually a good shooter, by the way).



    Now, don't get me wrong. I like RetroLiberty and I think that Aaron seems like a genuinely nice dude. Just wanted to share that he is the sort of hipster in question that you would find in Portland, OR (or Orange County, CA).
    Last edited by zborgerd; 07-26-2015 at 03:03 AM.

  8. #948
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    What about the people that were into those thing already but then got online and saw it suddenly became acceptable and they'd no longer catch s*** for liking it? Should I be called a hipster for listening to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers or Huey Lewis & The News even though I've loved both bands for nearly my entire life? I'm currently 29. Who gets to draw the age line in the proverbial sand for if they're "real" fans or not?

    From what I can gather so far, the usage of the word seems to speak more about the user rather than the target. It signifies that they concern themselves with not only WHAT others like, but WHY they like it and relies entirely on assumptions. It seems odd to care about either of those things.

    It puts me in the mind of the hotties who wear tight shirts with the word NERD on them and are wearing glasses they may or may not need. I don't know if they're pretending to be into "nerd culture" or if they always were and had the good fortune of being smoking hot. I don't care either.

  9. #949
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    What about the people that were into those thing already but then got online and saw it suddenly became acceptable and they'd no longer catch s*** for liking it? Should I be called a hipster for listening to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers or Huey Lewis & The News even though I've loved both bands for nearly my entire life? I'm currently 29. Who gets to draw the age line in the proverbial sand for if they're "real" fans or not?

    From what I can gather so far, the usage of the word seems to speak more about the user rather than the target. It signifies that they concern themselves with not only WHAT others like, but WHY they like it and relies entirely on assumptions. It seems odd to care about either of those things.

    It puts me in the mind of the hotties who wear tight shirts with the word NERD on them and are wearing glasses they may or may not need. I don't know if they're pretending to be into "nerd culture" or if they always were and had the good fortune of being smoking hot. I don't care either.
    Nobody. It's just funny, that's all. For the same reason that people probably think that it's funny that I'm a grown man trying to skateboard again, mid-life. I think I'm doing pretty well, all things considered.

    Who cares? It doesn't matter. I think that some hipsters look and act silly but it doesn't mean that I have any problem with them. I respect them for who they are.

  10. #950
    Senior Member ramzastrife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    3,001
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    What about the people that were into those thing already but then got online and saw it suddenly became acceptable and they'd no longer catch s*** for liking it? Should I be called a hipster for listening to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers or Huey Lewis & The News even though I've loved both bands for nearly my entire life? I'm currently 29. Who gets to draw the age line in the proverbial sand for if they're "real" fans or not?

    From what I can gather so far, the usage of the word seems to speak more about the user rather than the target. It signifies that they concern themselves with not only WHAT others like, but WHY they like it and relies entirely on assumptions. It seems odd to care about either of those things.

    It puts me in the mind of the hotties who wear tight shirts with the word NERD on them and are wearing glasses they may or may not need. I don't know if they're pretending to be into "nerd culture" or if they always were and had the good fortune of being smoking hot. I don't care either.
    Here is a joke that should explain hipsters to you.

    How did the hipster burn his mouth?

    Spoiler: 
    Because he ate his pizza before it was cool.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •