Page 146 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Not only is it pretty cheap as far as US Turbo games go, It is one of the few WD games that has not appreciated in value.
    Exile 1 and Cosmic Fantasy were supposedly waaaay over produced. For a long time you could get new old stock copies for about $20 or so, and in fact I think GameQuestDirect did pretty well by buying out a lot of WDs old stock and slowly selling it. Currently I think they run about $50 for a new copy of either, maybe even less for a copy without an outer box.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Yeah I picked up Cosmic Fantasy for 30 with no outer box.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Yes, when I first got a TG16/CD unit back in 2012, Cosmic Fantasy and Exile new copies were under $40 each.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'd say Cosmic Fantasy 2 is pretty good still, the only drawback is the grinding. Game is relatively short though so that makes sense why the grinding was part of it.
    I played CF2 back in the day and enjoyed it. Don't recall it being relatively short. Do remember playing it for some time over many days (if not weeks).

Hell, for $20-30 I'll def. grab it next paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    I'm glad I have no problem enjoying them. I would hate to see them as something that makes a game nearly unplayable.
    It doesn't make them unplayable but it's a mechanic that has zero respect for the player's time. It also doesn't help that a lot of old RPGs would combine them with labyrinthine dungeons, sometimes with dead ends, essentially penalizing you with further delays for having the audacity to not know exactly where to go. I barely had the patience for that as a kid, let alone now.

Part of it is that for the uninitiated a lot of these old RPGs show their age and it can seriously piss people off. Little annoyances that add up like a crucial lack of save points, necessary grinding, a high random encounter rate, not knowing where the hell to go next, etc. Almost every game had at least a few of these and the games that had the fewest of them were usually rated the best. There's a reason Chrono Trigger routinely tops "favorite RPG" lists.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 09-08-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It doesn't make them unplayable but it's a mechanic that has zero respect for the player's time. It also doesn't help that a lot of old RPGs would combine them with labyrinthine dungeons, sometimes with dead ends, essentially penalizing you with further delays for having the audacity to not know exactly where to go. I barely had the patience for that as a kid, let alone now.
    Yep. And with early CD games in particular, you can have it take quite awhile to get into battles due to load times. I suppose this could likely be taken care of by playing via emulator but meh, not my thing. Agree on the dungeons bit as well, I enjoyed Lunar EB and there was nothing too bad, but a few of the dungeons were more complex than the PS1 version iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Part of it is that for the uninitiated a lot of these old RPGs show their age and it can seriously piss people off. Little annoyances that add up like a crucial lack of save points, necessary grinding, a high random encounter rate, not knowing where the hell to go next, etc. Almost every game had at least a few of these and the games that had the fewest of them were usually rated the best. There's a reason Chrono Trigger routinely tops "favorite RPG" lists.
    Heck, even when you are used to these kind of games, it's pretty annoying. Especially when you consider there are lots of games out there that aren't as much of a chore to play. I will still play through jrpgs from time to time but I certainly have less patience for them now, especially the weaker ones and it's really hard to recommend those to someone who presumably doesn't have a lot of experience with older games given the question that was asked.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Random battles + large areas with some deadend routes = more realistic to me. It adds to the sense of adventure.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Random battles + large areas with some deadend routes = more realistic to me. It adds to the sense of adventure.
    What's remotely realistic about a never ending supply of predatory creatures or humanoids?

Lol, this reminded me 100% of the Cave of Trials on the original Lunar for SegaCD. Even with a hint guide/map that entire area was frustrating. Gotta stock up on herbs and silver lights or else you're dooomed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.