Page 183 of 193 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #1821
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,431
    Sometimes the Unofficial guide is all you get. Like Dragon Force never got a guide from WD directly (I don't think any of the Saturn games did) so you have to settle for the mediocre one from Prima. Sometimes something is better than nothing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  2. #1822
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    This.
    I generally prefer a printed book over internet. And I pretty much only get them cheap.
    Best Buy penny clearance time on their guides was awesome until they shut that party down.

  3. #1823
    Senior Member banditwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    GW Villian HQ litterbox
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Best Buy penny clearance time on their guides was awesome until they shut that party down.
    Yeah, that is part of what got me started.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

  4. #1824
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Best Buy penny clearance time on their guides was awesome until they shut that party down.
    Omg this was my semi-monthly ritual. So many good guides over the years.

    In fact some of us believe we know why they stopped it. Some guy from the CAG forum started to call corporate and file complains when he was denied penny guides at the register. It wasn't more than a month or so later the guides stopped ringing up with a price

  5. #1825
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Sometimes the Unofficial guide is all you get. Like Dragon Force never got a guide from WD directly (I don't think any of the Saturn games did) so you have to settle for the mediocre one from Prima. Sometimes something is better than nothing though.
    Albert Odyssey has one of these too. Like you said its better than nothing IMO. There are very few official Saturn game guides in general across the library. Nights got one, and there are few Gamefan ones like Nightwarriors.

    However conversely, in Japan, just about every game got multiple releases of guides and artbooks so if you're in it just for the pictures and novelty, those do the trick. I swear with Shining Force III you can end up with 8 different guides and revisions.

  6. #1826
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Albert Odyssey has one of these too. Like you said its better than nothing IMO. There are very few official Saturn game guides in general across the library. Nights got one, and there are few Gamefan ones like Nightwarriors.

    However conversely, in Japan, just about every game got multiple releases of guides and artbooks so if you're in it just for the pictures and novelty, those do the trick. I swear with Shining Force III you can end up with 8 different guides and revisions.
    At the worst, unofficial guides are usually much better written and formatted than stuff on the internet.

  7. #1827
    Senior Member mandy_moorehol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    KoalaWalla Land
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Nights got one, and there are few Gamefan ones like Nightwarriors.
    GameFan also released a guide for Darkstalkers and the third game that I believe was arcade-only at that point, as well as their RE: Director's Cut guide also covering the Saturn version.

    I love picking up Japanese guides for Saturn games. I think Enemy Zero only had one guide, but most games have multiple. I have one of the Guardian Heroes guides as well.

  8. #1828
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,431
    GameFan also did a mini-guide/walkthrough for Blazing Dragons as well. It covers pretty much the entire game and I got mine along the game when I picked it up years ago from Media Play.

    I don't have a ton of JP guide, but my favorite is the Princess Crown one. Artwork is already pretty amazing.

    I used to remember the penny guides too back in the day. Some stores would do similar stuff but a lot of them would pull off the front cover and then trash them. When I worked for Sam Goody I had to do that occasionally, normally bossman didn't care if a couple slipped through the cracks though
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  9. #1829
    Senior Member zanth1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,015
    I always used to buy guides because they had some great art in them and usually had nice, convenient charts of things like what levels spells unlocked, mana cost, weapon tables with attack power, etc. Always found those to be really helpful in quick reference. Monster drop tables was the biggest thing I loved.

  10. #1830
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    GameFan also released a guide for Darkstalkers
    Like I said, Nightwarriors I think that is the only true Gamefan Saturn only guide.

    Darkstalkers 1 was on PS1
    Darkstalkers 2 (Nightwarriors Darkstalkers Revenge) was only on Saturn in US
    Darkstalkers 3 was only on PS1 (in the US)

    The other inexpensive one to get is Super Street Fighter Turbo by Gamefan that covers the Saturn version.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 03-24-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •