Page 186 of 193 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

I lost my save so I really had no desire to start it over again. I was probably about halfway through.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Mage View Post
    As far as I'm concerned high encounter rates only serve to waste people's time and pad a game's length.
    Darn tootin'. I prefer games where an area stays clear when everything dies and without constant backtracking.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 04-28-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Heh, Cosmic Fantasy 2 was the exact game I was thinking about when I mentioned high encounter rates. I'm willing to forgive a lot about it though since the visuals on it were mind blowing to me at the time.
    And it debuted the word "pissed" in American-released RPGs.

What prevented WD from bringing over the other Cosmic Fantasy games?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    What prevented WD from bringing over the other Cosmic Fantasy games?
    Telenet was having financial problems and couldn't spare the line to put our stuff together. We didn't have our own programming staff back then. They were more concerned with getting shovelware out for the Japanese market to stay afloat than making a couple deals for low-volume sales in the US (a "success" in the TG-CD was 10k units, in Japan it was 10x that). It didn't work anyway, and they died.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Telenet was having financial problems and couldn't spare the line to put our stuff together. We didn't have our own programming staff back then. They were more concerned with getting shovelware out for the Japanese market to stay afloat than making a couple deals for low-volume sales in the US (a "success" in the TG-CD was 10k units, in Japan it was 10x that). It didn't work anyway, and they died.
    That's disappointing, from what I have played of CF2
    It's a great game, the same battle music for the entire game was the only thing I didn't like about it

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    That's disappointing, from what I have played of CF2
    It's a great game, the same battle music for the entire game was the only thing I didn't like about it
    Very low budget, but the story was and is the star. CF2 had the best story of the 5.

I liked that some areas had higher rates than others. It gave a real-ness to the world that some areas were more dangerous than others. Seriously, there's a lot of though in the whole design of the game, right down to that. That said, LUNAR SEGA CD is pretty much my max tolerance for encounter rates. Any higher and I call BS.
    I bet you LOVED Magical School Lunar!. Sheesh, every step. Fun, huh?

And if you like sprawling convoluted dungeons, I'm surprised you aren't a bigger SMT fan.

Dunno. I guess I'm old-school because large, potentially confusing dungeons and high encounter rates sound like my kind of RPG. The hand-holding we have now in RPGs is pretty ridiculous.
    was going to call you out on this because I know how much you adored Beyond The Beyond

but then you said this

I liked that some areas had higher rates than others. It gave a real-ness to the world that some areas were more dangerous than others. Seriously, there's a lot of though in the whole design of the game, right down to that. That said, LUNAR SEGA CD is pretty much my max tolerance for encounter rates. Any higher and I call BS.
    and you saved yourself from the trap you laid

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Heh, Cosmic Fantasy 2 was the exact game I was thinking about when I mentioned high encounter rates. I'm willing to forgive a lot about it though since the visuals on it were mind blowing to me at the time.
    even back in the day, the cut scenes and red-book were the only things CF2 had going for it. Its remarkable how absolutely crude it is when it comes to being an RPG even back then. If I remember right, you can't even trade items between characters so you're screwed if you open a chest with a weapon in it and give it to the wrong character.

but yeah, the encounter rate is so high and the battle system is so boring and annoying, I can't ever bring myself to play CF2 ever again.