Page 9 of 193 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    hey Vic what has Gaijinworks been up to on from the time WD closed to the CH campaign? I've read the company has existed for as long as this console generation has been running. What makes now a good time to make push and re-establish a fanbase and become really active? I was also wondering how big is Gaijinworks, I get a picture in my head that it's just you XD but I know there are other people working at GW, can you spare any details on your staff and such? :P
    I remember writing Vic about 7 years ago, soon after Gaijinworks was formally announced, and he mentioned that something big was in the pipeline. There had been rumors of the company's existence before a website was up. Not sure what was planned. Maybe it was the Far East of Eden localization? I wish that we could get that series in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    hey Vic what has Gaijinworks been up to on from the time WD closed to the CH campaign? I've read the company has existed for as long as this console generation has been running. What makes now a good time to make push and re-establish a fanbase and become really active? I was also wondering how big is Gaijinworks, I get a picture in my head that it's just you XD but I know there are other people working at GW, can you spare any details on your staff and such? :P
    I was working on games for other companies and consulting (led the Japanese research trip for Miami Law and did most of the US localization for it for Hudson USA because John asked me to when he ran the place), and then we did a couple partial localizations to try to get games approved/released that didn't work out. Hooking up with John while at Hudson, and especially at MonkeyPaw has really been the catalyst to get the publishing going again, but it took about 18 months from when John and I talked about it until the first WD games showed up on PSN, so there's a long lead on things.

We're not back up to Working Designs "core" size yet (which was 7 or 8, depending, and up to 20 including part timers), but we have a number of Working Designs staff involved with Gaijinworks, including Ken, Kelly, and Don, as well as working with well-known WD contributors like Bill at Mike's Music. I'm also working with some new people on the direct translation side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Yeah. If anyone hasn't played the game "Shockman", it's quite a good Mega Man (Rockman) clone. It's a shame that only one of them was localized.

The politics with NEC/Hudson/TTI killed that platform in the USA. It's a shame because we missed out on one of the best game libraries of that generation, which is why it's such a popular import console (most of my TG16 collection are import games).
    I recall Cosmic Fantasy 3 being at the 1993 CES as another Turbo game WD had in the cooker. CES1993cosmicfantasy3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    I was working on games for other companies and consulting (led the Japanese research trip for Miami Law and did most of the US localization for it for Hudson USA because John asked me to when he ran the place), and then we did a couple partial localizations to try to get games approved/released that didn't work out. Hooking up with John while at Hudson, and especially at MonkeyPaw has really been the catalyst to get the publishing going again, but it took about 18 months from when John and I talked about it until the first WD games showed up on PSN, so there's a long lead on things.

We're not back up to Working Designs "core" size yet (which was 7 or 8, depending, and up to 20 including part timers), but we have a number of Working Designs staff involved with Gaijinworks, including Ken, Kelly, and Don, as well as working with well-known WD contributors like Bill at Mike's Music. I'm also working with some new people on the direct translation side of things.
    Cool, thanks for the insight :P I had read bits and pieces about Miami Law but I was't really sure what was your involvement and such. I've been looking into the game and it's seems pretty cool, I think I'll put it in my next amazon order(I really dig the art style). I hope the game did well during it's life-cycle.

I know about MonkeyPaw and their PS1 imports and stuff but what exactly is the relationship between MonkeyPaw and Gaijinworks? I never quite got how you guys collaborated or how you guys will collaborate in the future.

Well I'm really happy GW got the sales for CH now that the first game under the label is coming out what's in store for the company? Are you guys planning on continuing to grow and become super WD? (Assuming the pro-games landscape in the industry doesn't change)

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    We sold the LUNAR localization, less vocal performances, back to Game Arts when the Ubisoft release was coming out, so Game Arts had it to license. XSEED was going to start from scratch on a "faithful" localization, but fans freaked out. So in the end they used most of my text and added some of their own. Unfortunately, it was done haphazardly, and the tone changes with the stuff they inserted, which is jarring (but possibly only to me).

They used no voice actors from SSSC on Harmony, even though I offered to get them all and fill in the new stuff, and a number were ready to go. The only person they used was Jenny on the two songs, but they made her sing really forced, fanfic-like lyrics that were like she was reading a literal translation. The songs were stripped almost completely of flow.
    The more I read, the more I begin to think I'll be better off replaying SSSC instead XD.

Hey Vic, I was curious if there was any consideration given towards merging MonkeyPaw and Gajinworks since the companies seem to work so closely together and seem to share similar gaming philosophies?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    As much as I love some of the stuff XSeed has done, I wish WD/GW had done the PSP Lunar instead, maybe then some of the games problems would have been worked out instead of just having a direct translation with nothing fixed (Music cutting between screens and extremely low difficulty).
    I agree. The whole reloading between screens and the cutting of the music really hurt the experience for me and it was a very easy game. If they could do a re-release of Lunar: The Silver Star Story with the original translation while somehow using the non-vocal Harmony music arrangements, I'd be in bliss o.o I know there's an iOS port but it's not really the same. I like having some kind of a controller in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonmasterDan View Post
    I recall Cosmic Fantasy 3 being at the 1993 CES as another Turbo game WD had in the cooker. CES1993cosmicfantasy3.jpg
    Oh, right, of course. Actually the President of Telenet was at that E3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AzMoon26 View Post
    Hey Vic, I was curious if there was any consideration given towards merging MonkeyPaw and Gajinworks since the companies seem to work so closely together and seem to share similar gaming philosophies?
    No. It's too complicated. MonkeyPaw has their own structure and investors, and I finally own 100% of the my company (rather than the partnership of WD). We have a good arrangement the way things are, so probably continue. MonkeyPaw does their own PSN titles, though, so it's possible Gaijinworks could release titles on their own as well. But for our collaborations, it's pretty perfect as-is.

So I also remember reading that there are 14 different pocket watches that were given away as preorder bonuses for Arc the Lad Collection, but I've never been able to see pictures of them all.

According to this: http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2002/042602a.html
    Working Designs has announced a special promotion for fans of its recently released Arc the Lad Collection. The company will be putting a series of six complete framed sets of all 14 character watches up for auction on Ebay. The winning bidder will be presented with a list of several non-profit fan-run game sites that have helped promote Working Designs' games over the years, and he or she will choose one of the websites that the company will send the proceeds of the auction to.

The set of watches includes all 14 of the limited-edition pocket watches in a case, featuring 14 different characters from Arc the Lad Collection: Arc, Poco, Kukuru, Gogen, Chongara, Tosh, Choko, Elc, Lieza, Shu, Shante, Diekbeck, Alec and Anrietta. Once the framed set is listed on Ebay, a link to the auction will be posted at Working Designs' official site.

There was going to be a charity auction for a complete set at some point but I never saw it appear. There are also some of these pocket watches I've never seen show up ever. Is that an accurate list or are there some that were never made? (Like the one Alundra disc variant)

Page 9 of 193 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast