Page 10 of 193 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Cool, thanks for the insight :P I had read bits and pieces about Miami Law but I was't really sure what was your involvement and such. I've been looking into the game and it's seems pretty cool, I think I'll put it in my next amazon order(I really dig the art style). I hope the game did well during it's life-cycle.

I know about MonkeyPaw and their PS1 imports and stuff but what exactly is the relationship between MonkeyPaw and Gaijinworks? I never quite got how you guys collaborated or how you guys will collaborate in the future.

Well I'm really happy GW got the sales for CH now that the first game under the label is coming out what's in store for the company? Are you guys planning on continuing to grow and become super WD? (Assuming the pro-games landscape in the industry doesn't change)
    Miami Law is a visual novel. If you know that going in, you won't be disappointed. But if you're expecting an action or RPG game, it's not that.

I've had a relationship with John, President of MonkeyPaw since the Turbografx days. We have similar goals to get the under-served stuff to the US. He's more about anything niche and weird, and I'm more focused on RPG's and things similar to that. He's in Japan, and I'm here, so it became a natural kind of collaboration. He goes out and gets stuff for his company and I add stuff that I'd like us to release jointly to that list and we work together to try and get the licenses.

I'm not sure I'd want a "super WD", but I'd be fine with a WD-level enterprise again. Fanservice here is diminishing rather than increasing. I want to try to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    So I also remember reading that there are 14 different pocket watches that were given away as preorder bonuses for Arc the Lad Collection, but I've never been able to see pictures of them all.

According to this: http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2002/042602a.html

There was going to be a charity auction for a complete set at some point but I never saw it appear. There are also some of these pocket watches I've never seen show up ever. Is that an accurate list or are there some that were never made? (Like the one Alundra disc variant)
    I don't remember why that auction didn't happen, but there was a reason.

The pocket watches were on a scale even more crazy than Alundra's disc variants. There was a sliding scale for each type of art facing, from common to extremely rare (Choko is the rarest at less than 50 made). Here's a framed one from my office with all of them:

arc_watches_all.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Miami Law is a visual novel. If you know that going in, you won't be disappointed. But if you're expecting an action or RPG game, it's not that.

I've had a relationship with John, President of MonkeyPaw since the Turbografx days. We have similar goals to get the under-served stuff to the US. He's more about anything niche and weird, and I'm more focused on RPG's and things similar to that. He's in Japan, and I'm here, so it became a natural kind of collaboration. He goes out and gets stuff for his company and I add stuff that I'd like us to release jointly to that list and we work together to try and get the licenses.

I'm not sure I'd want a "super WD", but I'd be fine with a WD-level enterprise again. Fanservice here is diminishing rather than increasing. I want to try to fix that.
    that's good to know, are you going to try for Queen's Blade Spiral Chaos or Record of Agarest War Marriage?
    both have fanservice and are on PSP

The pocket watches were on a scale even more crazy than Alundra's disc variants. There was a sliding scale for each type of art facing, from common to extremely rare (Choko is the rarest at less than 50 made). Here's a framed one from my office with all of them:

arc_watches_all.jpg
    Man I got screwed by my local babbages, they took my ghaleon puppet, and I never got one of these even though I was the first person to reserve Arc the lad at their location.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    that's good to know, are you going to try for Queen's Blade Spiral Chaos or Record of Agarest War Marriage?
    both have fanservice and are on PSP
    I think he meant fan service in a general sense and not so much that type of fanservice

No. It's too complicated. MonkeyPaw has their own structure and investors, and I finally own 100% of the my company (rather than the partnership of WD). We have a good arrangement the way things are, so probably continue. MonkeyPaw does their own PSN titles, though, so it's possible Gaijinworks could release titles on their own as well. But for our collaborations, it's pretty perfect as-is.
    That's certainly understandable. Hopefully, we'll see more success for both companies.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Man I got screwed by my local babbages, they took my ghaleon puppet, and I never got one of these even though I was the first person to reserve Arc the lad at their location.
    Not an uncommon tale with Babbages/Software Etc, I'm afraid.

Seriously? A Visual Novel? I dare say that I sometimes enjoy VNs more than RPGs and they often contest for my favorite genre, I grew up with choose your adventure books. I'll be certain to pick it up now thanks for the tip

Ah I see, I wasn't aware that MP operated from Japan, now I understand the relationship between the two companies. Come to think of it it kinda looks similar to what GungHo and GungHo of America is doing with their PS1 imports recently. Given that MP were the first guys to release PSN imports in the west can I assume you aided in the creation of the import section on PSN as well?

I agree with you in terms of the lack of fanservice we're facing. I think localization companies are growing too big and are becoming increasingly insecure. I considered Atlus a hero to RPGs and localizations in general, they used to have great collectors editions too. They used to be very active in the localization front(that's all they did) but then after Demon's Souls (my favorite PS3 game) they started to stiffen and their localizations dwindled in favor of mid-range and downloadable titles (The Cursed Crusade anyone?) some of the titles were good but they just weren't Atlus... Now they're increasing localizations again... but I dunno they don't seem to put as much heart as they used to IMO, it's just a feeling I get from their general attitude nowdays. In that sense I suppose a super-WD would be terrible, it's great to have another company fill in the void of great localizations. (I like all the other guys too but aside from Aksys everyone else just plays it safe...)
    Last edited by Aristides; 05-15-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits

arc_watches_all.jpg
    Where does Gogen rank on the rarity scale?

Not an uncommon tale with Babbages/Software Etc, I'm afraid.
    If I had the means when I was a kid, I would have ordered games directly through you guys. I remember trying to save up 70 bucks for albert Odyssey to order off the WD site, but alas it was sold out by the time I had the money. I lived in a small town and had to drive 30 miles to get anything other than a walmart, so it was a lot easier to just put 20 bucks down on a game when I would go into town than to try and buy it all at once.

Page 10 of 193 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast