Page 13 of 193 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    I know just enough Japanese to get by in games and in Japan navigation (where's this? where's that? do you have? I want, etc). You'd be surprised how little Japanese you need to know to be able to get through a game in Japanese. All it takes usually is determination. Only a couple games ever beat me. I got stuck in the SEGA CD 3x3 Eyes RPG and never finished, and there was a PC-Engine RPG I don't remember the name of that I got stuck on because I couldn't cross a river, and I couldn't figure out what I had to do to be ABLE to cross that river. Of course, those are pre-internet we have now, and I was playing games that no one, of a handful of English-speakers were playing at the time, so if I was stuck, tough. I had to figure it out, and I usually did - except those two cases.
    That is inspiring. Makes me want to try the Romancing SaGa trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    That is inspiring. Makes me want to try the Romancing SaGa trilogy.
    Why the Romancing SaGa trilogy?
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    I did, but only for a few bucks at the local indie game store. Still haven't played it to this day. Guess I'm not missing out.
    There's no relation to Alundra, save the name, as far as I know. If you can look at it like it's own game and enjoy it, more power to you.

Here's another strange WD trivia question. I vaguely recall a PC game called Serpent's Kiss having been announced and then dropped. Am I mistaken? If this is correct, what was this game originally in Japan?

I'm not sure I'd want a "super WD", but I'd be fine with a WD-level enterprise again. Fanservice here is diminishing rather than increasing. I want to try to fix that.
    I agree completely (from my armchair commentator point of view) and I think what you're trying to do is fantastic. I know it's a labor of love for you, but even then, as a fan: Thank you.

Way too risky, and there are so many great RPG orphans to spend time with that I already know are great.
    I agree with you that there are plenty of RPGs stuck out there that need localization. However I do think you should try it out in the future, I'd love to see a game you'd cook up. I'm sure GW will develop a strong fanbase, you could try: community development, crowdfunding or outsourcing with smaller likeminded developers, that would definitely bring costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    Believe me when I tell you that this is millions of times easier in theory than it is in execution. No one sets out to make a mediocre game; everyone starts out with great ideas and intentions of making the next big blockbuster. Then time, money, and other practical constraints kick in and force you to settle for "good enough" instead of your sweeping epic vision. If you're unlucky, poor communication, infighting, personality conflicts, conflicting design visions, bad or capricious leadership, and other setbacks can come in, and when enough of these crop up you wind up with a game that bears very little resemblance to its original concept.
    This is the reason I ended up becoming an lone indie T_T. Back when I used to work at a smaller development company my games went from being normal down to earth "healthy" projects to mangled play-dough or even worse, development hell after having strong demos or prototypes. I even recall pitching games just to have them mutate into something unrecognizable to the very core in just a couple of hours 0-0 the horror.
    Last edited by Aristides; 05-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonmasterDan View Post
    Here's another strange WD trivia question. I vaguely recall a PC game called Serpent's Kiss having been announced and then dropped. Am I mistaken? If this is correct, what was this game originally in Japan?
    No. It was a PC game made in Taiwan. Pretty cool game for the time.

Were there ever any plans to pick up Langrisser? I found it extremely strange that the blurb on the back of Growlanser Generations made reference to a game series that would likely be completely alien to anyone reading it, the relatively obscure Warsong notwithstanding. That made me think there was some history there and it wasn't just a random bit of trivia. Frankly, I think it's a shame the series fizzled out after Warsong. Some neat mechanics in those games, probably moreso than Growlanser.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Were there ever any plans to pick up Langrisser? I found it extremely strange that the blurb on the back of Growlanser Generations made reference to a game series that would likely be completely alien to anyone reading it, the relatively obscure Warsong notwithstanding. That made me think there was some history there and it wasn't just a random bit of trivia. Frankly, I think it's a shame the series fizzled out after Warsong. Some neat mechanics in those games, probably moreso than Growlanser.
    Wanted to, but by the time it became possible, the original team had left and we had a really crappy Langrisser to chose from, so I passed.

The series is ripe for re-making, though.

Wanted to, but by the time it became possible, the original team had left and we had a really crappy Langrisser to chose from, so I passed.
    By that comment I'm guessing Langrisser 3 or Millennium?