Page 15 of 193 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Totally lost source code? At that point you're looking at hacking the ISO or re-writing the game. Both are possible, but I'm not sure Sony would approve the end result in the case of hacking, and I know the game wouldn't sell enough here to re-write.
    I've never seen anything official about the "lost" source code line but so many random online commenters always talk about that when PC gets brought up, and uses that as a reason for the missed localization of the title. They also say that the version of PC on the PSP is a direct emulation of the Sega Saturn version, as a furtherance of the lost source code line.

    I will say that this preview: http://www.1up.com/previews/princess-crown doesn't mention anything at all about the "lost" source code and even says that "Atlus U.S. is already looking into bringing it here". Perhaps the "lost" source code bit is a work of fiction.
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

  2. #142
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    "Princess Crown for the PSP only reuses the script and event data from the saturn version. Everything else has been redone specifically for PSP. I have no idea where this guy is getting his info from.
    My source is the game itself. If you compare the files between the Saturn version and the PSP version, you'll notice that a number of things have been changed. All music(including the sequenced music) have been converted to atrac, sound effects were converted as well. The graphics have been converted to another format I'm not familiar with, fonts have been replaced, and a few additional graphics have been included. And lastly, all Saturn SH2 code has been removed. That pretty much debunks any theory of emulation, since you can't exactly emulate non-existent code "

    from here: http://segaxtreme.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=15074

    The guy who said that I used to talk to on occasion 10+ years ago, one of the smartest people I've ever known. I'd trust what he says.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 05-17-2013 at 05:20 AM.

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    "Princess Crown for the PSP only reuses the script and event data from the saturn version. Everything else has been redone specifically for PSP. I have no idea where this guy is getting his info from.
    My source is the game itself. If you compare the files between the Saturn version and the PSP version, you'll notice that a number of things have been changed. All music(including the sequenced music) have been converted to atrac, sound effects were converted as well. The graphics have been converted to another format I'm not familiar with, fonts have been replaced, and a few additional graphics have been included. And lastly, all Saturn SH2 code has been removed. That pretty much debunks any theory of emulation, since you can't exactly emulate non-existent code "

    from here: http://segaxtreme.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=15074

    The guy who said that I used to talk to on occasion 10+ years ago, one of the smartest people I've ever known. I'd trust what he says.
    Yeah, I've also read something about the font being unique. The problem with those people making the same constant arguments about emulation and "lost" source code is they usually never cite their sources and nobody calls them out on it. If this is indeed true, than maybe the "lost" source code thing is a myth, but I wonder if that even matters now. I know that every other video game company forum has somebody requesting for a localization of PC, afterall it was Vanillaware's debut, but the source code/emulator argument has always been used to shut the argument down. Thank you for a contrary opinion on the matter.
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

  4. #144
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,198
    Just like Panzer Dragoon Saga's infamous "lost source code" nonsense and the reasons why it wouldn't be ported/remade to other consoles.

  5. #145
    Senior Member Fabrizo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,176
    The PDS lost source code story came from this 1up article: http://www.1up.com/features/panzer-d...pager.offset=4
    "Futatsugi then told us the politics behind Saga's disappearance, which we can't reveal, but the gist of it has to do with the original code having been lost, making a port -- in case you're wondering -- all but unlikely."

  6. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Up Above, Down Below
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    The PDS lost source code story came from this 1up article: http://www.1up.com/features/panzer-d...pager.offset=4
    "Futatsugi then told us the politics behind Saga's disappearance, which we can't reveal, but the gist of it has to do with the original code having been lost, making a port -- in case you're wondering -- all but unlikely."
    Probably an excuse from Sega because they don't want to port an older game that someone else made because that person is most likely no longer with the company

  7. #147
    It might not be that unlikely. They also apparently lost the House of the Dead source code. HOTD 2 & 3 Return infamously lacks the original as part of the collection, supposedly for that very reason. Rayearth also apparently had missing source code due to a hard drive failure. PDS, HOTD, Rayearth, and who knows what else could have been victims of that single event.

  8. #148
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,431
    Hey Vic, I've got another variant question if you don't mind. With the Growlanser Generations LE I know there were two different watch types that got packed in (white face and black face), but how many different variants are there with the gems in the rings? I've only ever seen two different ones that I can remember: Red Green Blue and all Orange(I think).

    Are there more than that?

  9. #149
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Hey Vic, I've got another variant question if you don't mind. With the Growlanser Generations LE I know there were two different watch types that got packed in (white face and black face), but how many different variants are there with the gems in the rings? I've only ever seen two different ones that I can remember: Red Green Blue and all Orange(I think).

    Are there more than that?
    Yeah, there are more variants for the ring gems. I think there were 5 or 6, but I can't remember offhand.

  10. #150
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,431
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Yeah, there are more variants for the ring gems. I think there were 5 or 6, but I can't remember offhand.
    Gah! My variant collecting continues then. I thought I had every variant of every Working Designs release until you just confirmed this. After years of work one thinks they've got it all covered and then new info throws it into chaos.

    Just to make sure as well: Iron Storm, Shining Wisdom, and Sega Ages never had disc variants did they?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •