Page 18 of 193 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Talking about Elemental Gearbolt, we really need a re-release or something of that game. Just imagine being able to play it with any of the motion controls we have today (Wiimote, Kinect, Move, or even an actual lightgun)...

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    Talking about Elemental Gearbolt, we really need a re-release or something of that game. Just imagine being able to play it with any of the motion controls we have today (Wiimote, Kinect, Move, or even an actual lightgun)...
    That's Alfa System again, so maybe I'll mention it to them when talking about Oreshika.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    That's Alfa System again, so maybe I'll mention it to them when talking about Oreshika.
    Oh? Same Dev? That's pretty interesting :P Would love to get my hands on some variation on EG too. BTW what's the relationship between WD/GW with Alfa System? Have you worked on other games by them aside from EG?

(Alfa System... thinking about it I recall the name from somewhere other than what I've read in this board, cant quite put my finger on it though)

Hey victor, were either you or John close enough to NEC/TTI during the Turbografx days to confirm or deny the urban myth Midway approached them with the offer to make Mortal Kombat a Turbo exclusive and were turned down?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    Hey victor, were either you or John close enough to NEC/TTI during the Turbografx days to confirm or deny the urban myth Midway approached them with the offer to make Mortal Kombat a Turbo exclusive and were turned down?
    False. There were factions within TTi that were desperately trying to get MK, but it was shot down internally. Midway did not approach them - why would they? They were miniscule compared to SNES/Genesis installed bases.

but it was shot down internally.
    Jeez. I knew they were a mess but never realized they were deliberately sabotaging themselves.

On a more positive note, do you have a background in art or advertising? Not that I do myself, but I ask because the WD print ads are truthfully some of the most well composed I've ever seen. Same with the back of the game cases. The font, screenshot selection and placement, the actual text, etc. I'm rarely so blatantly impressed with a product after only seeing an advertisement and I don't think it's just because of the games themselves. Hell, I think the Albert Odyssey ad is better than the game it's pitching. A WD game always stood out. Back then I thought it had to do with the anime art just standing out on its own but I don't think so anymore since today, in the sea of mediocre anime games, there's no "pop" in any of them. Even Silver Star Harmony, it just looks, well, like another random anime RPG. So I'm convinced that the ad format would work just as well regardless of the game being "anime" or not. There was always a kind of Drew Struzan-esque adventure waiting inside as opposed to a purely utilitarian depiction of the content.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 05-23-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Jeez. I knew they were a mess but never realized they were deliberately sabotaging themselves.

On a more positive note, do you have a background in art or advertising? Not that I do myself, but I ask because the WD print ads are truthfully some of the most well composed I've ever seen. Same with the back of the game cases. The font, screenshot selection and placement, the actual text, etc. I'm rarely so blatantly impressed with a product after only seeing an advertisement and I don't think it's just because of the games themselves. Hell, I think the Albert Odyssey ad is better than the game it's pitching. A WD game always stood out. Back then I thought it had to do with the anime art just standing out on its own but I don't think so anymore since today, in the sea of mediocre anime games, there's no "pop" in any of them. Even Silver Star Harmony, it just looks, well, like another random anime RPG. So I'm convinced that the ad format would work just as well regardless of the game being "anime" or not. There was always a kind of Drew Struzan-esque adventure waiting inside as opposed to a purely utilitarian depiction of the content.
    We worked with what we had and I learned as I went. The white background and keyline on the WD logo was borne out of necessity when the first Parasol Stars and Cadash ad proofs came back and you couldn't see the logo in the art at all. Lots of stuff like that was learned as I went. Glad you liked the kind of layout and copy format I settled on. Sometimes it was a little stale (the Shining Wisdom ad wasn't that great), but the LUNAR2 3 page, Exile 2, and Dragon Force ads really are some of my favorites. EGM did a marketing survey and the Exile 2 ad was the most-remembered ad in each issue it ran in, which was cool. I was aping a style very popular with some PC-Engine game ads at the time (from Masaya, I think?).

If Working Designs were still around would you have tried to bring over Growlanser IV Wayfarer of the Time and Growlanser PSX or PSP

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    If Working Designs were still around would you have tried to bring over Growlanser IV Wayfarer of the Time and Growlanser PSX or PSP
    Atlus didn't want to license out Growlanser after we proved there was a market for the series here. The US side had told Japan it wasn't fit for the US for years - it's one of the problems we accidentally created in the process, by going direct to Atlus Japan and asking to license it, we inadvertantly made Atlus US look bad/wrong, and it came back to bite us when we had the problem with Sony that required us to bundle the two together. Even though it became a single SKU, we had to pay double royalties on it.

Even so, I still wanted to do both of those, but Atlus was done licensing it. Of course, with the financial issues of Index now, maybe they're more interested in the money from a license done well and would reconsider...I don't know.

Atlus didn't want to license out Growlanser after we proved there was a market for the series here. The US side had told Japan it wasn't fit for the US for years - it's one of the problems we accidentally created in the process, by going direct to Atlus Japan and asking to license it, we inadvertantly made Atlus US look bad/wrong, and it came back to bite us when we had the problem with Sony that required us to bundle the two together. Even though it became a single SKU, we had to pay double royalties on it.

Even so, I still wanted to do both of those, but Atlus was done licensing it. Of course, with the financial issues of Index now, maybe they're more interested in the money from a license done well and would reconsider...I don't know.
    It wouldn't hurt to try and toss a request up to Index for the PSP Growlanser I