Page 59 of 193 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Pfft, speak for yourself...

This one time, I contacted WD customer support or w/e about Lunar being amazing but being too short. It was probably Vic himself that responded and told me to collect the bromides lol.
    I remember emailing them one time about trying to get a replacement copy of the soundtrack CD and I got a response from a someone who was just name "Ronfar". I printed out the email and probably still have it sitting around at my parent's house somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It's all good, we were all star struck at first.
    I feel like I'm the only one here who has no clue about WD/Vic other than what I've read on here.

You also seem like the youngest member, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one here who has no clue about WD/Vic other than what I've read on here.
    Working Designs was my favorite publisher at one time. Still hoping that GW can get enough momentum to surpass them. Seems like things are finally taking off, but the game industry has changed a lot since 2005.

I grew up in Europe and Working Designs had no presence there so I was never really familiar with them beyond "this import has cool packaging". I think I started importing American video games around the age of 10 and I worked hard to get the money for them. I noticed the WD name being on many of the really special gems but so was for example Atlus'. I don't think I really thought about the localizations even if I have noticed I do enjoy the writing later on.

The main reason I joined this forum was to beg for PSP games rather than Working Designs worship. I stuck around because the people here are cool. I do have a lot of respect for Working Designs though and I appreciate what they have meant for the industry and I hope we will be able to get back to those days.

I think my favorite Working Designs game is an uncommon one, Arc the Lad II. That game blew me away and especially together with Monster Arena.

Arc II is a great game, but yeah I don't think it would be classified as a favourite to many. I'd probably say Vanguard Bandits but I love mechs and strategy games so that was always a perfect match for me.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by INKU4884 View Post
    I grew up in Europe and Working Designs had no presence there so I was never really familiar with them beyond "this import has cool packaging". I think I started importing American video games around the age of 10 and I worked hard to get the money for them. I noticed the WD name being on many of the really special gems but so was for example Atlus'. I don't think I really thought about the localizations even if I have noticed I do enjoy the writing later on.

The main reason I joined this forum was to beg for PSP games rather than Working Designs worship. I stuck around because the people here are cool. I do have a lot of respect for Working Designs though and I appreciate what they have meant for the industry and I hope we will be able to get back to those days.

I think my favorite Working Designs game is an uncommon one, Arc the Lad II. That game blew me away and especially together with Monster Arena.

Vichoooootep.
    dvd_snapshot_01.24.43_[2015.03.17_10.34.47].jpg

[QUOTE=Subject_Nineteen;38026]Whoa! Vic, are you THE Victor Ireland from the Working Designs and Lunar days? If so, you were/are one of my HEROES of gaming! You helped bring some of my favorite games to the U.S. way back when! I'm so happy to see that you're still at it and working in the industry!

Sorry to take up your time, but I have a TON of questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Subject_Nineteen View Post
    1. How has the industry changed over the years from when you were at Working Designs and working with games like Lunar 2, for example, to now, when working with games like Summon Night 5?
    It's fragmented. You have mobile platforms, and the whole distribution model has changed a lot. Some of that is good, and some of that is bad. Magazine advertising for games is now almost a dinosaur, and it was our main way of reaching customers in the WD days.

2. Is it easier or harder to localize games now?
    About the same. Some of the tools are WAY better though. The dev systems and tools for the Turbografx and the PS1, especially were pretty hard to wrangle. The ADPCM tool for the Turbografx, especially, was atrocious.

3. Are there any NEW challenges or obstacles to localization, like when it comes to attaining rights, etc.? Or, have things stayed pretty much the same over time?
    Yeah, the rights thing is the biggest problem with most game licenses. Sometimes there are time bombs we don't even know about, like the CoH2 opening song license, that were supposed to be included in the original contract, but there was some small part that wasn't and it turns into a big time suck to get it resolved. Fortunately, that one worked out okay. There was another game we were trying to get where everything was going great, but one small (I thought) rights issue killed it at the end so it never happened.

4. Do you feel like there's more of an audience for Japanese games in the West now than ever before? It seems more niche games are being brought to the West by developers like Gaijinworks, as well as larger entities, such as Atlus and NISA. Is that so?
    Seems like less to me. Way less than PS1 days. The anime boom that spread into RPGs in the mid-late 90's fizzled out of mainstream awareness. There is a strong niche still, but it's not mainstream like it was. I think we're on an upswing now that started a few years ago. If it gets back to those mid-90's levels, that would be fantastic.

5. How small is GW compared to publishers like Atlus, NISA, or Idea Factory? Is your team smaller or bigger than what you've worked with in the past, like when you were with, say, Working Designs?
    Small. We have some of the same WD staff, but we're a subset of WD size. I'd eventually like to hire more back, but we have to get bigger, first. Of the companies you mentioned, I'm pretty sure we're currently the smallest. But, like with WD, we cast a long shadow by doing things like the physical+digital releases that all the other pubs said was not possible. And I'll keep pushing the envelope.

6. What would it take to put Gaijinworks on the map and make them a, for lack of a better word, 'household name' in the gaming community, where you could get bigger licenses, like, I dunno, those on the caliber of Shin Megami Tensei (which was the only franchise I could think of off the top of my head)?
    More games like Summon Night 5. It has great production values and is a really fun game. We'll get there, it will just take time for people to discover or re-discover us from the WD days. That's why it's so important for fans to spread the word.

7. Is there a proverbial 'holy grail' of gaming you'd like to score that you think would make a splash in the West; like a franchise you'd like to get the rights to localize that you think would do well here?
    I can't really get too specific because competitors are always looking for ideas. But, I've been on record saying I would LOVE to do Tengai Makyo Fourth Apocalypse, and that's true. I adore that game.

8. It's a dumb question, but... Is there any chance Gaijinworks could pick up rights to R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate? IIRC, Irem dissolved, so how hard would it be to attain rights to their games? What happens to a studio's assets, such as their games, when they go belly up? I loved R-Type Tactics / R-Type Command, so I've long dreamt of its sequel getting localized. Is that a pipe dream, or could a publisher like Gaijinworks actually make it happen?

Thanks in advance for your (hopeful) reply, Victor! Sorry for asking so many questions. Additionally, I'm sorry if some of them are off-topic.
    Some (all?) of IREM's IP was already sold off, and it was to Japanese companies with WAY deeper pockets than we have. I'm not saying localizing the game is impossible, but the breakup of the IP and sale made it that much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by INKU4884 View Post
    Arc II is my favorite of the trilogy. The story is just so *heavy* right from the opening scene, and the game seems to last forever, but by the end, it all has come together. Plus that Choko easter egg is one of the most expansive I've ever seen. I mean, you have to activate it in the game BEFORE to have a chance of getting it in Arc II. That's hardcore.

I remember the ads for the Sega CD versions of Lunar and Lunar 2. I was actually aware of those games before I was aware of Final Fantasy VI (FFIII on SNES). And I was a SNES gamer back in the day. But there was no way my folks were going to spring for all the money for a Sega Genesis + Sega CD + Lunar.

I was so thrilled when my Software Etc told me that Lunar was coming to the PS1. By then I was old enough to have a job and buy my own games. Bringing home Lunar and Lunar 2 was awesome beyond words, and I still have both games with the goodies that came with them to this day.