Page 60 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Arc II is a great game, but yeah I don't think it would be classified as a favourite to many. I'd probably say Vanguard Bandits but I love mechs and strategy games so that was always a perfect match for me.
    Vanguard Bandits is a really excellent game. Much better than the media would leave you to believe, and one of my favorite PS1 games. It's really a blast to play when you figure out how to totally obliterate the computer by setting up a defence strategically. Somehow, the strategy component seems a bit deeper than more popular games of the genre, like FFT.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Vanguard Bandits is a really excellent game. Much better than the media would leave you to believe, and one of my favorite PS1 games. It's really a blast to play when you figure out how to totally obliterate the computer by setting up a defence strategically. Somehow, the strategy component seems a bit deeper than more popular games of the genre, like FFT.
    I think that adding the ally assist mechanic really helped deepen the game strategy component. And yes, I think VB is under-rated, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SanAndreasX View Post
    I remember the ads for the Sega CD versions of Lunar and Lunar 2. I was actually aware of those games before I was aware of Final Fantasy VI (FFIII on SNES). And I was a SNES gamer back in the day. But there was no way my folks were going to spring for all the money for a Sega Genesis + Sega CD + Lunar.

I was so thrilled when my Software Etc told me that Lunar was coming to the PS1. By then I was old enough to have a job and buy my own games. Bringing home Lunar and Lunar 2 was awesome beyond words, and I still have both games with the goodies that came with them to this day.
    The "Hope Springs Eternal" three page LUNAR 2 ad I did is one of my favorites. That first page is simple, then the two page spread that follows explodes off the page.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The "Hope Springs Eternal" three page LUNAR 2 ad I did is one of my favorites. That first page is simple, then the two page spread that follows explodes off the page.
    All the ads you people did were great. I also liked the Vay and Popful Mail ads. I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I dropped a couple of dollars on the bare-bones iOS version of Vay, just to get a rough idea of what the game was like since I never got to play it on Sega CD.

All the ads you people did were great. I also liked the Vay and Popful Mail ads. I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I dropped a couple of dollars on the bare-bones iOS version of Vay, just to get a rough idea of what the game was like since I never got to play it on Sega CD.
    Vay wasn't a fantastic game to begin with, but they really borked the re-localization of the iOS version. It's like they were trying to appropriate the WD humor without understanding what it was. It's cray-cray.

Vay wasn't a fantastic game to begin with, but they really borked the re-localization of the iOS version. It's like they were trying to appropriate the WD humor without understanding what it was. It's cray-cray.

To be fair, I mostly wanted to sample it because of WD, and short of scouring eBay or Amazon that was the only way of going about it. I didn't go into it with high expectations especially with its bare bones interface. I still kind of want to play the Sega CD version though.

I never understood the complaints about WD's humor. I understand that people might have thought references to Wayne's World and whatnot were out of place in a fantasy setting, but I loved it. Certainly better than the stilted translations of other Japanese games or the butchered Ye Olde Englishe you saw in Western-made games.

To be fair, I mostly wanted to sample it because of WD, and short of scouring eBay or Amazon that was the only way of going about it. I didn't go into it with high expectations especially with its bare bones interface. I still kind of want to play the Sega CD version though.

I never understood the complaints about WD's humor. I understand that people might have thought references to Wayne's World and whatnot were out of place in a fantasy setting, but I loved it. Certainly better than the stilted translations of other Japanese games or the butchered Ye Olde Englishe you saw in Western-made games.
    It's a taste issue. You like it, or you don't. But the fact that what we did at WD with localizations and especially packaging and deluxe sets for console RPGs has been imitated and outright copied over and over shows I had the right idea.

It's a taste issue. You like it, or you don't. But the fact that what we did at WD with localizations and especially packaging and deluxe sets for console RPGs has been imitated and outright copied over and over shows I had the right idea.
    Honestly, I prefer the presentation for the PS1 versions of Lunar and Lunar 2 over a lot of modern CEs. I like artbooks and small trinkets. Although I liked the feelies that came with Tales of Xillia and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, I just don't have the room or the patience for a $150 Skyrim dragon. These days, I generally only indulge in collectors' editions for Tales games or Nintendo games, and Nintendo doesn't put out CEs very often. Most of the time for Nintendo it's hardbound strategy guides for Zelda games as well as things like the Hyrule Historia, which was a Valentines' gift from my wife.

Honestly, I prefer the presentation for the PS1 versions of Lunar and Lunar 2 over a lot of modern CEs. I like artbooks and small trinkets. Although I liked the feelies that came with Tales of Xillia and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, I just don't have the room or the patience for a $150 Skyrim dragon. These days, I generally only indulge in collectors' editions for Tales games or Nintendo games, and Nintendo doesn't put out CEs very often. Most of the time for Nintendo it's hardbound strategy guides for Zelda games as well as things like the Hyrule Historia, which was a Valentines' gift from my wife.
    My thing with the deluxe packs was how to pack a bunch of cool stuff in as small a space as possible - both the LUNAR and Arc deluxe packs are a lot of stuff in a tight brick of game presentation. A lot of the ones in the post-WD era copied the deluxe pack/collector's edition idea without really understanding it, so you got huge overblown packs that were just too unwieldy and not really that cool (the statues were often obviously VERY cheap). And then you have the deluxe packs for digital games that have...no game in the box, just a code. I think that's flat out weird.

I still wish we could have afforded to have the Arc theme play when you opened the flap on the front of the box. I still have the programmed chip with the music we used to prototype it, but it was just too expensive to implement at the time.

Arc II is my favorite of the trilogy. The story is just so *heavy* right from the opening scene, and the game seems to last forever, but by the end, it all has come together. Plus that Choko easter egg is one of the most expansive I've ever seen. I mean, you have to activate it in the game BEFORE to have a chance of getting it in Arc II. That's hardcore.
    Yeah, that Easter was really awesome and it made me replay the games. Everyone I have talked to has Arc 2 as their favorite in the series. The first game felt like a short intro to the second one. I think it even was a launch game for the PS1 in Japan which coould explain why it felt a bit rushed. The third game felt unrelated to the first two and lacked some of their charm. Not a bad game though by any means.