Page 67 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

  1. #661
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,194
    If you don't own an Xbox 360, it is worth it just to play the exclusive RPGs/Games on that platform. Granted, I don't play it anymore, nor do I even have it hooked up, but I enjoyed nearly every RPG on the 360.

    Infinite Discovery was fun. I played it at a time where I was just focused on that one game, so it made it easier to default to at the end of a day. Star Ocean Last Hope (International) I played on the PS3 just because at that specific time, I only had a PS3 and not 360, plus all the enhancements done to the International version. Blue Dragon, I rented when my brother had a 360 and I just had a Wii, and thought it was interesting, very Dragon Quest-like in the animation style. I eventually got a 360 and Blue Dragon was one of the first games I bought for it years later. I don't like the boss battle music that much, but the story was great and you didn't know where it was going. Some of the gameplay elements are harsh, where there are certain points you can't backtrack out of a dungeon so if you don't have enough potions or high enough levels, you are forced to grind the same enemies until you can defeat a 3 person boss O_O

    Lost Odyssey was great. Some of the voice acting was bad, like when the two children are crying scenes, but for a game eliciting emotion at different parts of the game, it achieved it well and the ending was satisfactory. One of the classic turn-based RPGs that are hardly done anymore.

  2. #662
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    A big problem is the "traditional" in "traditional RPG." It's probably really hard to make one these days without making it just feel generally old. Video games are, more than any other medium, a product of their time. And a lot of elements in games from a certain era don't necessarily age well as the surrounding elements evolve. It's why I think Final Fantasy III on the DS was weird. You wind with a game that looks ostensibly modern but plays like it's much older than it should be, pulling a lot of shenanigans that rightfully died out on the NES. It's like some George Lucas special edition nonsense where one thing feels 2006 and something right next to it feels 1990. And the clash between the two is super jarring making the experience worse than either A) playing a entirely brand new game or B) just playing the old one where everything matches.

    RPGs did a bunch of stuff back in the day that was a matter of necessity. Random battles aren't exactly something people look for in their games anymore. Hell, we barely enjoyed them at the time. It was just something you put up with because that was the accepted standard. Even right down to story and writing style, a lot of 16 and 32 bit RPGs are really, in retrospect, not all that brilliantly written. Some even are downright silly and got by on the fact that at the time games just generally weren't doing the story thing so anything that was more thought provoking than "get the triangles from the pig monster" was considered "inventive." And we're kind of past the point where we're still engrossed by the sudden party member betrayal, the villain trying to become a god, or the ultimate sword that requires some hours long side quest to obtain. I don't want to say they can't work anymore but they need to grow. I have a sneaking suspicion that this factor is part of the reason Silver Star Harmony was not well received. Old players are happy with the old games. New players aren't interested in a new game that, by today's standards, is a total cliché storm.
    Really enjoy your posts fwiw.

    Tend to agree about the plot thing, but then again I've never really played games for the plot, with some exceptions. I prefer books and movies for that. And not always with movies, as I can watch those for other reasons too (ie laughing or just watching **** blow up as I do enjoy a good action B movie).
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  3. #663
    Senior Member PhantomSentry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,647
    Silver Star Harmony was shrunk down and missing that WD charm. That game gets smaller each time. The next version will probably be an e-book. Everyone recognized the stuff in Lunar as cliché even when it was released. The reason it was/is so great is because they did those cliché things in a way that made them feel refreshing and charming.

    Wanna know what you get when you're cliché in addition to unable to capture the magic as WD did? You get Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & The Lost Ocean.

  4. #664
    Senior Member ErickRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    A big problem is the "traditional" in "traditional RPG." It's probably really hard to make one these days without making it just feel generally old. Video games are, more than any other medium, a product of their time. And a lot of elements in games from a certain era don't necessarily age well as the surrounding elements evolve. It's why I think Final Fantasy III on the DS was weird. You wind with a game that looks ostensibly modern but plays like it's much older than it should be, pulling a lot of shenanigans that rightfully died out on the NES. It's like some George Lucas special edition nonsense where one thing feels 2006 and something right next to it feels 1990. And the clash between the two is super jarring making the experience worse than either A) playing a entirely brand new game or B) just playing the old one where everything matches.

    RPGs did a bunch of stuff back in the day that was a matter of necessity. Random battles aren't exactly something people look for in their games anymore. Hell, we barely enjoyed them at the time. It was just something you put up with because that was the accepted standard. Even right down to story and writing style, a lot of 16 and 32 bit RPGs are really, in retrospect, not all that brilliantly written. Some even are downright silly and got by on the fact that at the time games just generally weren't doing the story thing so anything that was more thought provoking than "get the triangles from the pig monster" was considered "inventive." And we're kind of past the point where we're still engrossed by the sudden party member betrayal, the villain trying to become a god, or the ultimate sword that requires some hours long side quest to obtain. I don't want to say they can't work anymore but they need to grow. I have a sneaking suspicion that this factor is part of the reason Silver Star Harmony was not well received. Old players are happy with the old games. New players aren't interested in a new game that, by today's standards, is a total cliché storm.
    I get it and I agree. Nostalgia is fueling me on this. I just have a lot of RPGs from that era that I used to own that I just want to play and beat again. I am still in love with not so great dialogue and slow paced turn based battles. Heck I'd have to if I enjoy DQ8 on PS2. The loading time to get to and just finishing a battle would be torture to young people today. That era trained me to be patient, which allowed me to enjoy the RPGs of that time. But I still look forward to the few good console and handheld RPGs that are due out in the future.

  5. #665
    Senior Member ErickRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    587
    The thing about Star Ocean 4 is not just the really really bad voice acting. Th scenario writers. Edge Maverick, part of an elite team tasked with long distance space travel. 20 years old. So in about 1 year he graduated college and then took what, 2 weeks of extensive space training? Pretty hard to get behind characters who are so sloppily planned.

  6. #666
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,194
    I don't read background bios for characters much anymore. I just go where the game takes me.

  7. #667
    Senior Member ErickRPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I don't read background bios for characters much anymore. I just go where the game takes me.
    I looked it up because I remember thinking how young he looked and I asked myself. "How many years did he have to go to college and train for space travel? He looks awfully young". The game wanted to take me to a world where a 20 year old could earn his way onto a long distance NASA type space team. In reality you'd have to be in your mid 30s before you had all the skills and training to do that. I'm not even saying it's a bad game. I like games like that for the fantasy, colorful graphics, and cool battle spells. But I was just adding my thought to the conversation.

  8. #668
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickRPG View Post
    The thing about Star Ocean 4 is not just the really really bad voice acting. Th scenario writers. Edge Maverick, part of an elite team tasked with long distance space travel. 20 years old. So in about 1 year he graduated college and then took what, 2 weeks of extensive space training? Pretty hard to get behind characters who are so sloppily planned.
    It's like the Matrix. They just download the program to their brain as needed. Viola! Instant elite space team member in an agile 20 year old!

  9. #669
    Senior Member Time Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickRPG View Post
    The thing about Star Ocean 4 is not just the really really bad voice acting. Th scenario writers. Edge Maverick, part of an elite team tasked with long distance space travel. 20 years old. So in about 1 year he graduated college and then took what, 2 weeks of extensive space training? Pretty hard to get behind characters who are so sloppily planned.
    Yeah, I agree you with 100%. This kind of stuff makes me appreciate that much more when games do pay attention to the little details. On one hand you have this nonsense and on the other you have the lore from the Soul's games which is open to interpretation and interesting.

  10. #670
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    I'm not fond of the series in general but, in fairness to it in regard to knowledge, consider the base level of eduction now to 1900.

    Edit: Also consider that it's.... Sci-fi .
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 06-02-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •