Page 30 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    Telenet went under in 2007 but Sunsoft currently owns Telenet's games, maybe you could talk to them and work something out, they might be willing to port or remake the 4 Cosmic Fantasy games on 3DS
    Gaijinworks already has a pretty good relationship with Sunsoft, being responsible for the recent Blaster Master releases.

I'm not sure what Sunsoft is up to lately, but they seem to be sustained on retro games. Wouldn't surprise me if they start releasing some of those compilations that are so common; maybe a few Telenet packs. Rumor mill says that they intend to remake some games.

Valis reboot would be great too.

So Vic, what happened with SunSoft? They seem to have abandoned the US market a couple of years ago. They took down their forum and their web site hasn't changed in two years. However, the parent company in Japan has released a few Telenet games on Japanese VC.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorx0079 View Post
    So Vic, what happened with SunSoft? They seem to have abandoned the US market a couple of years ago. They took down their forum and their web site hasn't changed in two years. However, the parent company in Japan has released a few Telenet games on Japanese VC.
    I honestly don't know what their master plan is. I'm not even sure they have one. They hired me to help them, which I did, and after the initial rush, they ignored or did the opposite of most of the advice I gave them. I'm a little ticked I turned them on to the Telenet library, only to have it essentially languish again with them.

I always liked the pop culture references (such as the Calgon thing) WD added to the localization. Some people argue against them because don't reflect the original story teller's vision or they "date" the game. But often the story teller's vision was meant for and based on a culture vastly different from my own. And as far as dating a game, lots of people (I happen to be one of them!) read books and watch movies and listen to music from bygone eras and don't get bummed out by the references within. Why should games be different? Especially now, when we have the internet and even the most obscure reference in the world is just a google search away from being explained.
    Working Design translations had a levity and tone that no other games at that time had, and the drama of the story never suffered because of it. If anything, it was accentuated by it. That's why years (decades, ugh) later, a game with a silly Clinton joke is much more fondly remembered than any number of similar titles of the era that might even have been better "games" but had much more "faithful" translations. Faithful usually equated monotone and boring.

So there's my Vic Ireland appreciation rant, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go wipe the slobber off.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    I honestly don't know what their master plan is. I'm not even sure they have one. They hired me to help them, which I did, and after the initial rush, they ignored or did the opposite of most of the advice I gave them. I'm a little ticked I turned them on to the Telenet library, only to have it essentially languish again with them.
    Do you know if they have any in-house devs anymore, or do they contract out all of their work; e.g. Blaster Master: Overdrive?

Sunsoft was so awesome in the '80s and '90s. Not sure what happened. Everyone said that by the time the 16-bit era hit, they no longer had the same technical advantages that they had in the 8-bit era. Some of their graphics and sound were way ahead of the curve on the NES. They had some slick programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Do you know if they have any in-house devs anymore, or do they contract out all of their work; e.g. Blaster Master: Overdrive?

Sunsoft was so awesome in the '80s and '90s. Not sure what happened. Everyone said that by the time the 16-bit era hit, they no longer had the same technical advantages that they had in the 8-bit era. Some of their graphics and sound were way ahead of the curve on the NES. They had some slick programmers.
    I know there are some in-house guys, but not many, AFAIK.

When working with games that have FMV, have you ever had to deal with not being given a music and effects track? I shudder to think what kind of work would be needed to dub that.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    When working with games that have FMV, have you ever had to deal with not being given a music and effects track? I shudder to think what kind of work would be needed to dub that.
    We very often have to re-create that because we're not given the original tracks. It's not that uncommon, and we've done it so much (I have over 300 FX CDs from Hollywood Edge, Sound Ideas, etc) it's not that big a deal anymore.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I had a hearty laugh over this ebay posting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAND-PUPPET-...item2ec9d448aa

I AM NOT SURE WHAT IT IS CALLED? IT LOOKS AND ACTS LIKE A HAND PUPPET. IT HAS A HARD VINYL FACE AND HEAD WITH WHITE HAIR AND AN ODD HAT. IT'S CLOTHING IS ALL ORIGINAL. I DO KNOW IT SEEMS TO BE A BOXING PUPPET. UNDER THE CLOTHING ARE 2 LEVERS AND WHEN THEY ARE USED, THE LITTLE ARMS BOX EITHER ONE OR BOTH ARMS.
    THE TAG ON THE CLOTHING STATES "LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY" COMPLETE. IT IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF GAMES ARTS WORKING DESIGNS,2000.TOSHIYUKI KABOOKA. IT SEEMS TO BE IN NICE CONDITION.
    SHIPPING IS $ 12.00 PRIORITY OR $10.00 STANDARD.