Page 122 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    You'd think they would enjoy soaking up something for nothing, the movie/music companies have been doing it successfully for years.

Another question that popped in my head:

There's a certain campy Saturday morning cartoon feel to MKR the game, that isn't present in the anime. (Alcione especially comes off very different).
    Was that due to your localization, or was the game itself going that route?

(No offense, I still cringe when I hear the child abuse joke. )

Slightly off topic,
    from twitter
    Class of Heroes 3 will probably be the last.
    Almost seems like Vic is trying to squeeze in one more PSP game to me if it could work out.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Funny, I just got the itch and played through Rayearth again. Something in the notes interests me for anyone who played the Japanese version. The notes say that a lot of spoken dialogue throughout the game was cut in favor of spoken diary entries. My question is what was originally spoken? Was it every time a character's face appeared with a text box? If so that seems like an incredible amount of audio for one CD.

Glad I could stir up the MKR again Fitting last release for the US Saturn I say. Quirky like the console tem itself (although Deep Fear not a bad finale in PAL regions either). I need to dive back into it myself to collect the rest of the amulets.

@ Tony I believe it was all spoken in the JPN version but I only played about an hour of it.

The US version is spoken for the beginning chunk then goes silent after that. I assume (and Vic could correct me) but thats when the decision was made to do the diaries instead. Luckily the parts where Zagat and crew are talking were completely still voiced over. Its amazing all that dialogue plus a very acceptable amount of anime fmv were on that disc.

I mentioned it before but I kinda went back and forth whether I would have rather seen WD just voice over the entire game or the way they did it with the diaries. I liked the voice actors and would have enjoyed the whole game dubbed. Maybe the girls would have gotten a bit annoying after that many hours of dialogue. Not sure. Either way the diary entries were pretty neat and it kept you more immersed in the girls characters. I wish there were more forced prompts to listen to them because sometimes Id forget to. I tried to catch up what seemed like every 6-7 diary entries before saving.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 12-19-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycelt View Post

There's a certain campy Saturday morning cartoon feel to MKR the game, that isn't present in the anime. (Alcione especially comes off very different).
    Was that due to your localization, or was the game itself going that route?
    The game takes a different route than the show. Alot of characters have different plot lines. Sega sorta went where they pleased. I think the first season of the anime is a bit drab so Sega did well with what alterations were made.

And you are correct that the game has more of that "saturday morning cartoon" feel. Its less of a harsh anime and more light. It works great in that respect. It always feels like a cartoon/anime license game throughout with just enough depth to the gameplay to not have fall into the bad type of licensed game. WD as always had some jokes that made you cringe like you said. The one I always keep remembering is the "chapped hand" bit Also you mention Alcione being much different. One of the guys on the Sega Saturn boards thought that was the weakest spot for the voice acting (her character) So some people prefer her from the Anime more but I feel like the way they made her in the game fits the release.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 12-19-2015 at 09:25 AM.

The game made me watch the anime and I much prefer the game's interpretation. It's just more charming throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    @ Tony I believe it was all spoken in the JPN version but I only played about an hour of it.

The US version is spoken for the beginning chunk then goes silent after that. I assume (and Vic could correct me) but thats when the decision was made to do the diaries instead. Luckily the parts where Zagat and crew are talking were completely still voiced over. Its amazing all that dialogue plus a very acceptable amount of anime fmv were on that disc.
    After playing it again I do have a slight issue with the actual place that it stops. It's weird to go from fully voiced dialogue during the initial Alcione encounter to complete silence at Precia's mansion despite that still feeling very much like "the intro." I don't know how much wiggle room they had but I feel like everything up to getting the escudo weapons is exposition. Going silent once the girls actually start the adventure would have felt more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    I mentioned it before but I kinda went back and forth whether I would have rather seen WD just voice over the entire game or the way they did it with the diaries. I liked the voice actors and would have enjoyed the whole game dubbed.
    Yeah, I like the spoken diaries but it's very obvious they weren't originally intended to be that important--mostly an in-universe attempt at benchmarking so players don't lose their place in the story. As a result, you often forget they're there. It's cool that they were fancied up and you do get some good personality from the girls' reading them but I don't know if I like the idea of missing out on a fully voiced game, especially given the colorful dialogue. I'd probably would have preferred everything be voiced, dialogue and diaries, at the cost of a hit to the audio fidelity if disc space was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    The game made me watch the anime and I much prefer the game's interpretation. It's just more charming throughout.

After playing it again I do have a slight issue with the actual place that it stops. It's weird to go from fully voiced dialogue during the initial Alcione encounter to complete silence at Precia's mansion despite that still feeling very much like "the intro." I don't know how much wiggle room they had but I feel like everything up to getting the escudo weapons is exposition. Going silent once the girls actually start the adventure would have felt more natural.

Yeah, I like the spoken diaries but it's very obvious they weren't originally intended to be that important--mostly an in-universe attempt at benchmarking so players don't lose their place in the story. As a result, you often forget they're there. It's cool that they were fancied up and you do get some good personality from the girls' reading them but I don't know if I like the idea of missing out on a fully voiced game, especially given the colorful dialogue. I'd probably would have preferred everything be voiced, dialogue and diaries, at the cost of a hit to the audio fidelity if disc space was an issue.
    Again Ill concede to Vic if he replies here BUT I read an interview with the WD programmer that did this game and they mentioned it was a decision they decided on later in development. You have also take into account this game was in development hell (not the original but the WD translation) for almost 3 years. Between missing code and legal issues these decisions to go from dialogue to diaries could have happened years apart. It sounded like Vic (again Ill wait to hear his own words) considered cancelling the title because of how taxing it was with all the issues but the programmer (cant think of his name) kinda pushed him along. I could be wrong as its been a while since I read that interview. All that being said Im actually with you that it would have been fun to see the entire game dubbed but you would have to do all the NPCs along with the girls. Otherwise most of the in town encounters would end up a bit odd. Lots of time, money, work, actors for such a small release. Even without that Im glad they at least did the diaries instead of just leaving it subbed only. At least then I could remind myself of their voices throughout the game.

You're probably right that the chaos during localization may have had something to do with the decision. And unrelated, I also forgot how the game just sort of stops. The ending is an abrupt return home where the girls are like "so what happens to Cephiro?" while Clef just sort of shrugs like for all we know the whole place imploded.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    You're probably right that the chaos during localization may have had something to do with the decision. And unrelated, I also forgot how the game just sort of stops. The ending is an abrupt return home where the girls are like "so what happens to Cephiro?" while Clef just sort of shrugs like for all we know the whole place imploded.
    I personally like the way the game ends. At least the way the game builds up the last few fights. How the last fights end up being almost like a shmup. I didnt see that coming. But the ending itself is kinda bizarre. Its a bit more dark. Not just the simple sweet easy ending. One of the nice things about the MKR in general. I dont want to go too deep into the endings as I dont like to post spoilers for other people that might want to play it. However I guess the game is 20 years old so...