Page 126 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EternalB View Post
    There's also the whole obtaining Althena's sword quest that was omitted in the remake. One of my favorite parts and something that really makes Alex's quest to become a dragon master seem complete.
    Plus there are points in the game where it's JUST YOU. Seems like the kind of experience a Dragonmaster should have under their belt.

And you're definitely right. The WAY you become a Dragonmaster in TSS is a lot better. I also liked how you had to have magic drawn out of you on Black Rose Street. I enjoyed the lighthouse thing, the bridge thing and temporarily having that badass axe. What happens to Burg was also great. The differences in what happens to the dragons (trying to avoid that spoiler). There are several reasons to prefer TSS to SSS.

LoP may not like the "large empty overmaps" but I definitely do. Makes the whole thing feel more (f*ck I hate this word..) epic. I hate how the game gets shrunk even further each time they remake it.

I bet Gypsy would prefer TSS as well if that version was done with PS1 quality graphics and cutscenes.

I enjoyed the PS ver of Lunar but I'd still like to pick up the other versions of 1 & 2 and give them a play.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Plus there are points in the game where it's JUST YOU. Seems like the kind of experience a Dragonmaster should have under their belt.

And you're definitely right. The WAY you become a Dragonmaster in TSS is a lot better. I also liked how you had to have magic drawn out of you on Black Rose Street. I enjoyed the lighthouse thing, the bridge thing and temporarily having that badass axe. What happens to Burg was also great. The differences in what happens to the dragons (trying to avoid that spoiler). There are several reasons to prefer TSS to SSS.

LoP may not like the "large empty overmaps" but I definitely do. Makes the whole thing feel more (f*ck I hate this word..) epic. I hate how the game gets shrunk even further each time they remake it.

I bet Gypsy would prefer TSS as well if that version was done with PS1 quality graphics and cutscenes.
    I just played Ys I-II on Turbo instead of DS, PSP or PC. I don't really care about graphics. I care about the gameplay differences in the Lunars, with the overmap being probably my biggest complaint. There is so much dead space in the SCD version that is just completely unneeded.

I may go back to Lunar TSS someday, but when I've already essentially played the game once (in a fashion that was better to me) it's hard to want to do that when there are lots of games I haven't played.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    I enjoyed the PS ver of Lunar but I'd still like to pick up the other versions of 1 & 2 and give them a play.
    Did you get that SCD working yet?
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Nope. Been busy. I'll get back to it soon. Think I'll start with trying my model 1 genesis once I get that extra power cord. Then I guess try to determine if the caps are good.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Hmm, that shouldn't matter but who knows. I'd honestly just keep an eye out for a model 2 SCD. So much easier to deal with. I've only encountered 2 in the past couple years (for a good price) or so but if I run into another I'll let you know.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Yes I do realize where I am but I'm gonna say...

Pirate 'em. Unless Vic has a working Sega CD and a copy of each game he wants to sell you, I see no harm in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Shining Wisdom I put in the mediocre category but expectations damaged the releases.
    I generally love all Zelda clones (that aren't completely horrible). I had a lot of fun with Shining Wisdom and no problems with it, but I wouldn't take it over something like Alundra, Crystalis, Illusion of Gaia, or Star Tropics either. I'm actually going to buy my first Genesis soon, so the Shining series had no reputation to me at that point, though I can see why any fan of the series would have issues (though I'd take Shining Wisdom over any of the GBA/PS2 Shining games released in the US that aren't remakes/ports of older games any day . . . and there's so many worse action RPGs that have came out since Shining Wisdom that I feel a mediocre action RPG from back then or earlier is not such a bad thing).

I'm not sure if I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 or whatnot, but for some reason I have a hard time calling any game I'd gladly purchase and play mediocre (I guess I tend to use "average but fun" or "worth playing if a fan of the genre in general" more, but they can mean the same thing to some . . . though mediocre traditionally has more negative connotations than average does, so it's mostly just semantic nit-picking on my part).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 12-25-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    I generally love all Zelda clones (that aren't completely horrible). I had a lot of fun with Shining Wisdom and no problems with it, but I wouldn't take it over something like Alundra, Crystalis, Illusion of Gaia, or Star Tropics either. I'm actually going to buy my first Genesis soon, so the Shining series had no reputation to me at that point, though I can see why any fan of the series would have issues (though I'd take Shining Wisdom over any of the GBA/PS2 Shining games released in the US that aren't remakes/ports of older games any day . . . and there's so many worse action RPGs that have came out since Shining Wisdom that I feel a mediocre action RPG from back then or earlier is not such a bad thing).

I'm not sure if I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 or whatnot, but for some reason I have a hard time calling any game I'd gladly purchase and play mediocre (I guess I tend to use "average but fun" or "worth playing if a fan of the genre in general" more, but they can mean the same thing to some . . . though mediocre traditionally has more negative connotations than average does, so it's mostly just semantic nit-picking on my part).
    Truthfully Shining Wisdom aint bad when taken for what it is. And also WD's translation raises the game IMO. Ive talked to people in PAL regions and the boring (or by the book) translation they got doesnt help lift the game. The WD translation is a bit more exciting and helps keep the game entertaining during dull moments.

As far as the Shining Series in general I never played it on Genesis but what Ive played of Shining Force III (just part 1) and Shining the Holy Ark (about 50% through) Im loving every second. To me SFIII (Scenario 1) Id give a 9/10 as just a stand alone game. Im currently getting the English translation patches for Scenarios 2 and 3 and can't wait.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    For Silver Star, I prefer the Playstation version, but for Eternal Blue I think the Sega CD version is better.
    Last edited by ninjamitsuki; 12-25-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Truthfully Shining Wisdom aint bad when taken for what it is. And also WD's translation raises the game IMO. Ive talked to people in PAL regions and the boring (or by the book) translation they got doesnt help lift the game. The WD translation is a bit more exciting and helps keep the game entertaining during dull moments.

As far as the Shining Series in general I never played it on Genesis but what Ive played of Shining Force III (just part 1) and Shining the Holy Ark (about 50% through) Im loving every second. To me SFIII (Scenario 1) Id give a 9/10 as just a stand alone game. Im currently getting the English translation patches for Scenarios 2 and 3 and can't wait.
    The other Saturn Shining titles have never been in my grasp, but hopefully I can acquire them at some point regardless, because I know I'd surely enjoy them.