Page 127 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1922

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    For Silver Star, I prefer the Playstation version, but for Eternal Blue I think the Sega CD version is better.
    Can you further explain the latter without spoilers (if that is even possible)? I can understand the varying opinions on Silver Star without having played it, but everything about Eternal Blue seems more vague (so I assume it involves the story more than gameplay elements/presentation/balance/etc.).

I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that the ending is different (and if so, I don't want to know about it), but feel free to confirm if that is mostly what it comes down to or not. I plan to play both games and I have no opposition to playing PS1 Lunar first from what I know about it, but not sure about Eternal Blue (I guess if it's crazy expensive on Sega CD or if it seems a good idea to play the PS1 version first anyway and then consider the Sega CD version, either are good enough answers to me). I just lack enough context at this point and don't want to accidentally look in the wrong place for such information and have the story ruined or anything.

I would probably already own both PS1 versions instead of none of the games if I didn't have to have complete sets in pretty good shape with all the bonuses, which seems to be rather annoying to find on eBay (not difficult, but time consuming). I assume one has to probably pay about $100 for each in such shape, and trying to get a better deal is a waste of my time, but let me know if this is or isn't the case so I know how to best approach this tedious task from a realistic standpoint and minimize the frustrating aspects (the more items in an expensive limited edition = the more things for me to be anal about, resulting in the Lunar series being a blessing for anyone who picked it up new and a nightmare for me as a series to get 2nd hand).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 12-25-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Can you further explain the latter without spoilers (if that is even possible)? I can understand the varying opinions on Silver Star without having played it, but everything about Eternal Blue seems more vague (so I assume it involves the story more than gameplay elements/presentation/balance/etc.).

I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that the ending is different (and if so, I don't want to know about it), but feel free to confirm if that is mostly what it comes down to or not. I plan to play both games and I have no opposition to playing PS1 Lunar first from what I know about it, but not sure about Eternal Blue (I guess if it's crazy expensive on Sega CD or if it seems a good idea to play the PS1 version first anyway and then consider the Sega CD version, either are good enough answers to me). I just lack enough context at this point and don't want to accidentally look in the wrong place for such information and have the story ruined or anything.

I would probably already own both PS1 versions instead of none of the games if I didn't have to have complete sets in pretty good shape with all the bonuses, which seems to be rather annoying to find on eBay (not difficult, but time consuming). I assume one has to probably pay about $100 for each in such shape, and trying to get a better deal is a waste of my time, but let me know if this is or isn't the case so I know how to best approach this tedious task from a realistic standpoint and minimize the frustrating aspects (the more items in an expensive limited edition = the more things for me to be anal about, resulting in the Lunar series being a blessing for anyone who picked it up new and a nightmare for me as a series to get 2nd hand).
    Actually, my reason is pretty superficial. The Sega CD version of Eternal Blue has better looking facial proportions in the cutscenes (remake is very off model), and the music on the Sega CD sounds much higher quality than the Playstation version, though I heard the Saturn version doesn't have these problems.

When it comes to packaging of course, EBC is one of the most beautiful games in history, IMO.
    Last edited by ninjamitsuki; 12-25-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    Actually, my reason is pretty superficial. The Sega CD version of Eternal Blue has better looking facial proportions in the cutscenes (remake is very off model), and the music on the Sega CD sounds much higher quality than the Playstation version, though I heard the Saturn version doesn't have these problems.

When it comes to packaging of course, EBC is one of the most beautiful games in history, IMO.
    Oh okay, so no major reasons to play/buy the Sega CD version first for anyone who is new to the series? I guess I should get all the cool bonus stuff with the PS1 version and I can always work backward if it seems worth it (because I will want both of the PS1 versions anyway . . . that has been the case since they were released.). Also, at least it's easy to try before you buy with such things since anything involving Sega and discs seems to get ridiculous rather quickly . . . I probably wouldn't be surprised if Double Switch of all things is worth $50 tomorrow for no reason.

Sometimes I wonder if the price point for a lot of the Saturn RPGs is due to how difficult the system is to emulate (which I have no interest in outside of the benefit I'd get out of checking out a game for an hour or so to make sure I don't instantly hate it for some reason) . . . though I guess people that want to play physical Saturn games in general are probably the type who would pay a lot for them.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 12-25-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Yeah it's a bit of a chore. I haven't been following prices but the second one has always been more expensive. The first one shouldn't run you that close to $100. Lunar 2 EBC though will probably be more though since you need the pendant.

The easiest way would be to get them sealed but that is absurdly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoderek
    Ive talked to people in PAL regions and the boring (or by the book) translation they got doesnt help lift the game. The WD translation is a bit more exciting and helps keep the game entertaining during dull moments.

As far as the Shining Series in general I never played it on Genesis but what Ive played of Shining Force III (just part 1) and Shining the Holy Ark (about 50% through) Im loving every second. To me SFIII (Scenario 1) Id give a 9/10 as just a stand alone game. Im currently getting the English translation patches for Scenarios 2 and 3 and can't wait.
    I probably would not have even finished Vay or Albert Odyssey if not for the WD localizations. Both of those seemed like cut and paste fantasy. Shining Wisdom is one of the few I didn't bother to finish but I do plan to get back to it some day.

I prefer the Genny games for Shining but SFIII is pretty good.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Vic whenever you read this I have always wondered, why did Lunar 1 always have way more variants than Lunar 2 (heck no variants at all for Lunar 2 SCD)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Vic whenever you read this I have always wondered, why did Lunar 1 always have way more variants than Lunar 2 (heck no variants at all for Lunar 2 SCD)?
    Is there a page or spreadsheet with all the WD variants across all of their games. I always wondered about all of their Saturn variants.

I'm only aware of a page that covers the PS1 varients. The rest I think are very random. Perhaps one of us could gather it up if no good site exists. (I could if no one else wanted to)

PS1
    http://www.game-rave.com/psx_galleri...igns/index.htm
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

What Bandit linked to is the best source for the PS1 games.

This covers the Saturn variants (the non-rpgs don't have variants): http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...c-Art-Images-_

The only SCD game with variants is Lunar 1. This youtube video seems to cover it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1MaIkIeEXk

PS2 variants are simple aside from the randomized extras in the Growlanser LE.

Nice on the Saturn varients.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Hey, I may know the answer to this one.
    I'm pretty certain they chose a different disc art for each press run they did for the game. More successful than they expected it to be and demand was enough to do multiple pressings.
    Don't really have an answer for Lunar EB. I think the Sega CD being at the end of its life span when it came out has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoDerek View Post
    Is there a page or spreadsheet with all the WD variants across all of their games. I always wondered about all of their Saturn variants.
    if the waybackmachine has a page cached, the old workingdesigns.com page had a museum section that had scans of each disc variant for their games. If you're lucky, the cached site may actually work instead of just a copy of the front page with broken links.